Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Current Yamaha P200 Equivalent

V Is For Visitor

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They wanted 1,100 and told me it would probably cost me about 200 to get it fixed.

I just bought my second cp-300 for $895 and it was near mint, so you might want to check your prices. There are lots of people who will be dumping theirs just so they can have 'the latest model..' so be patient and you'll find one. I considered a P200, P250 as an alternate but IMO the samples are greatly improved on the CP300, esp the e pianos. Just make sure to take out some of the brightness via voice edit for the rhodes and wurly patches. Also, be aware that the P200's had a serious manufacturer default with the keyboard. For a while, yamaha was offering a full replacement of the keyboards on all P200's free of charge. Not sure if that is still the case. If you come across a P200, grab the serial # and call your nearest yamaha office to check if the keyboard was replaced. Good luck!

WOW only 895 USD for cp-300! Gratz

I love my CP 300 !!!!!!

The speakers are so nice and sounds so good!!!! Just power on and play!!!

NS2 88, Yamaha Cp300, Moog Little Phatty, Hammond Sk2, Roland Fantom X6, Ventilator, Nord C2D, Leslie 3300, Leslie 122

That's kinda why the CP-300 is so awesome, you just turn it on and play. Having to plug in an amp and then patch the keyboard to the amp, etc., turns the instrument into something different than what it is. Obviously, it goes without saying that in certain situations, you need to do that, but for acoustic jams, it's so great to just turn it on and play. I know a guy who puts a mic in between the two speakers and it sounds very much how a mic'd grand is supposed to sound.

They wanted 1,100 and told me it would probably cost me about 200 to get it fixed.

I just bought my second cp-300 for $895 and it was near mint, so you might want to check your prices. There are lots of people who will be dumping theirs just so they can have 'the latest model..' so be patient and you'll find one. Good luck!

That is exactly it. And waiting is giving me something to look forward to. It is a niche item - not the type of thing that is in general demand.

coolio said: Also, be aware that the P200's had a serious manufacturer default with the keyboard. For a while, yamaha was offering a full replacement of the keyboards on all P200's free of charge.

I have a P80 that had keyboard problems and was way out of warranty and Yamaha replaced the entire keybed. No charge, parts and labor. Can't beat that kind of service.

• 2 weeks later...

Chances are excellent. Many stories abound about broken Yamaha keys being fixed, often at Yamaha's expense, and often way after the warranty expires.

A loose speaker involves disassembling the kbd far enough to get to it and tighten it back up. Careful documentation of what screws you took out in what order with a digital camera will make you happy when you put it back together.

Moe

---

A local retailer has the CP-300 for $500.

A couple issues.

One key is stuck/broken in the upper octave.

The right speaker is "loose."

Clearance sales are final. What are the chances these issues can be repaired?

Any idea about cost?

Thank you.

I think it's a good deal at that price. The loose speaker is probably easily repairable. The stuck/broken key might be an easy fix, then again, it might not. It depends on if it's only the key (the plastic part) that's broken, or it's the whole mechanical/contact part that's screwed. If it's the former yamaha service shops usually sell spare keys. Spare keys for yamaha p120 are around 2-3 a piece, I can't imagine CP300 keys would be much more expensive.

Tightening the speaker and exchanging the key should cost a lot, especially if you are handy. If you are not paying someone to do it for you is a recommendable option. I don't think it should be expensive. Even if it's 200$ total of repair costs CP300 for 700$ is a bargain.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Looked at it again today. The C3 B2 and Bb2 keys have no spring action.

I can hear the right speaker wobbling if I move the keyboard.

You gotta love this retailer, the salesguy didn't know about the right speaker and his story about how it came to the store was 100% different from last week's salesman when the board was 1,100 and they just couldn't go any lower on the price.

Ok - I know I have time to return the P-200 - am I losing anything key action-wise or piano sound wise compared to the 250 or CP-300 if they were in the same condition?

Really the CP-300 is total overkill for my needs. Unless I could have a repairman visit the store and confirm the repair would only be 100.

Sorry guys - I don't like parting with money.

I haven't played a P200 to be able to compare the actions or sounds.

You already know you like the P200, and it's a good deal for $500. You can always supplement it with other sounds via software or a module.

Alright, all that being said, I have found out that the gentleman running a place that can repair the CP (and who actualy gave me a balpark figure if it is just three keys and a wobbly speaker). God forbid he opens the unit to find a host of other issues.

A new concern - there is a thread from this site devoted to the "disintegration of P-200 key hammers. And a number of people corroborate the initial story.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2276514/Yamaha_P150_vs_P200_vs_P250_vs

I may have a slightly broken CP in my hands by the end of the day.

Archived