Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond A-102: Should I buy it?

juanbastonoeste

Hammond A100 for $1500

It doesn't look bad, but is the price a *little* steep or okay?

He's now added a video to show that vibrato, percussion, reverb work and lowered the price to $1250. Still worth $1k?

[video:youtube]IVusFOVRWxU

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A good zap could get it back going, but the best bet is to yank and rebuild it. It's tedious, but not too hard, and once it's done you can cross it off your worry list. A zapped scanner will get choppy again, since there's still oil and gunk inside. The one in my '52 B-2 was disgusting when I took it apart.

TP

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

I agree.. Do it yourself, or have a tech do it. It's worth it, and you will not have to worry about it again....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

The furniture seems to look good and the manual look to be in good external condition. If you want a 3 series organ I would offer a grand but I wouldn't lose the organ over $250. Pull each drawbar individually one at a time and play a full chromatic scale on both manuals and if the organ behaves and you want it I would get it.

"Land is a good investment because God isn't making anymore of it." - Mark Twain

If worse comes to worse one of these days you will be able to ship to some poor Eurpean dude for $250,000.00

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

If you want a 3 series organ I would offer a grand but I wouldn't lose the organ over $250.
I'm not sure what you mean - offer a grand but $1250 isn't a bad deal either?
Pull each drawbar individually one at a time and play a full chromatic scale on both manuals and if the organ behaves and you want it I would get it.
Does this page cover everything I should check or is there anything they missed? Also, does this page cover everything I need as far as moving it?

If worse comes to worse one of these days you will be able to ship to some poor Eurpean dude for $250,000.00
:laugh:

As far as the motor boating, I figure I can zap it initially and see how that goes. I can always rebuild the scanner later if zapping doesn't fix it or it comes back too soon.

I may be going to see it tonight, but he says he has other people coming this afternoon.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Personally I think 1250 is fair for a clean organ in working condition. You will always hear about someone who got a freebee or a better deal but if you want a 3-series organ I think $1250 is fair. Otherwise you can wait and maybe something better will come up or maybe it won't. But that is just me.

Also I looked at the document and it covers everything I would do in a test drive.

On moving, lock the generator if it needs to be. If you think you will be moving it on a somewhat regular basis leave it locked. You may get a little more noise but I wouldn't worry about it unless you are recording an album with it. The generator on my B3 has probably been locked for at least 30 years. LOL Live you can't tell the difference.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Okay, that's what I thought you meant. He says he has a friend that's a piano mover that he'll get to move it. If so, that might affect the price (lower if I have to pay the friend).

Nah, once this thing is in my house, the only moving I'll do will be to get to it to work on it. :)

Then BUY IT! Once you own a console Hammond, your perspective will change, forever...

and soon you crave another one... and another one... and ....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Do you guys think it's possible the motorboating you hear in the video could be a problem with the camera/mic, not the scanner? I was just there, and the vib/chor didn't sound that bad to me.

could be.... If you heard it in person and it was OK, then its OK....

Guess what just arrived? :D

Now I have to figure out how to make it work with my Leslie 45...

Another life destroyed.... Have your wife call mine....

Thanks, guys!

BTW, it is motorboating. It is intermittent. I'll have to deal with that as well as check out some other things.

How can you tell if it needs new felts?

If the keys clack and clank when you play them or have excessive side to side play, you need new felts.

However, the side to side thing is only cured by new key combs, and replacements are expensive. The felts are riveted on, but I have been looking into a way to replace just those while keeping the original combs.

The downstop and upstop felts are fairly inexpensive and adhesive backed, so they are easily replaced once you have all the keys off.

Moe

---

It came out a bit blurry, but this is what the studio looks like now. Cut off in the lower left is the Leslie 45 I got a few months back.

I'm still kinda in shock about having all these pieces.

405192_10150612445629853_664374852_11044675_628338125_n.jpg

Archived