Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My Hammond (A100) arrived last night... a bit wet, advice?

Dglavko

Well I finally made the plunge and joined the real Hammond Club - a 1959 A100 with 145 Leslie in tow!

No it didn't come free but that's ok - it had the sound, and was my first and (hopefully) only real Hammond.

Unfortunately, it got a bit wet en route, as the rain was coming down pretty hard on the seller as he kindly delivered it to my door.

We quickly wiped off what we could see, and it did not look like any got inside, although likely at least some did on the contacts as the keys were wet.

That said, we thought it wise to defer turning it on (and payment) until Friday to ensure it is dry.

Any advice?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put a fan on it. Also a small heater type fan would help. Use a hair dryer to spot dry the more critical areas. It should be fine if it's dried out, assuming it worked OK before the shower...

Welcome to the Club !

Regards,

Musicale

I have an electric leaf blower that I run over manuals of my B-3 from time to time. I like to keep dust out of there and the leaf blower blows a wide stream of air that gets any crap out of the area of the key contacts.

'59 A 100's are known to be some of the best. I had one as a rental in a jazz club a while back and Dr. Lonnie Smith was all over it. I had two leslie 45's on the thing... it was warm, rich , had fat bass, everything you would want.

I sold it to the club later because I just can't keep all the A -100 's that I used to run into at bargain prices. I was sad that the club let it go.

If you have a leslie, one of the best sounds is to set the leslie right next to the A 100. The sounds seem to blend into each other and it gives you a little extra something over just having the single speaker source.

Unfortunately, it got a bit wet en route, as the rain was coming down pretty hard on the seller as he kindly delivered it to my door.

Someone has to ask - - you mean the seller transported an A100 uncovered to your door in the pouring rain? Hope this isn't an indication of how it was cared for. I am sure you were anxious for the delivery, but couldn't it wait for the rain to stop??

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Someone has to ask - - you mean the seller transported an A100 uncovered to your door in the pouring rain? Hope this isn't an indication of how it was cared for. I am sure you were anxious for the delivery, but couldn't it wait for the rain to stop??

Well not exactly - he had covered with two tarps actually but despite this it still got a bit wet as it seems as though there may have been a leak in the tarp, and the weather took an unforeseen turn for the worse on him. That said, I will be starting it up later today and will keep my fingers crossed...

Skinny what's your C2 like tone-wise? Have any recordings?

I don't have any recordings. I just bought it this summer and haven't gigged it or anything, and haven't done any recording at all lately.

The tone? Well I don't have anything to compare it to, since it's my first console, and I've only messed around on a B3 occasionally over the years; never owned or really played one that much.

But it doesn't seem as mellow as I thought it would, being a 1950.

Using C3 chorus, I get a nice purr. C1 and C2 settings are hardly noticeable. Not sure if that's normal or not. It seems that all the settings should be deeper.

The organ does need some work. Certain drawbars don't play the proper note on certain keys. One of the drawbars that doesn't work at all - I opened the back to find the wire and re-solder it, but I couldn't even find the wire to do so. That doesn't make sense to me. The organ has been worked on and modified over the years - it has Trek II percussion, Reverb, and String Bass. Maybe when these were all installed, things got messed up inside a little.

The leslie is mechanically noisy on fast speed, and the reflectors on the horn are missing. One end of the horn has a bolt sticking through it to balance weight, because it has a chip in it that was probably caused my a mic being to close back in the day or something.

It's starting to sound like it's all a big POS, but it's not. Just needs some work, but it's more than I can do, being electronically challenged. Haven't had the time or $$$ to get it worked on. I also need a footswitch for the Leslie installed before I could ever use it live in my current band.

What I'd really like is to take it up to BB organ in Minneapolis and have them go through it. There is a tech where I live, but I think the organ needs more than he can do.

Any Hammond tech-minded forumites coming through the Southeast South Dakota area that wanna help me out? :);):wave:

Stuff and things.

Run it, it will be fine.

Beer or water won't hurt a Hammond. Mountain Dew makes a Hell of a sticky mess.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Update - I put a heater on it last night just in case and turned it on tonight. It works great!

Bliss!

Thanks to those who assisted with advice and urgings to join the H club!

I'll be off the forum for awhile now I think...

Update - I put a heater on it last night just in case and turned it on tonight. It works great!

Bliss!

Thanks to those who assisted with advice and urgings to join the H club!

I'll be off the forum for awhile now I think...

Great to hear! :thu:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I was playing an outdoor concert about 35 years ago in Florida during a torrential downpour and the tarp covering the stage pooled up with water and burst right above my rig. As said in "The Mighty Wind". "thar she blows! Wha Happened?".

Gallons of water falls onto my C3.... After drying myself off, the organ keeps running.... And served me well for many years after that. A testament to the over engineering of the Hammond Organ Company... Wonder if you can do that to a Sk1 or XK3........

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

There are a lot of stories from way back in World War II about Hammonds on the battlefield as they were used for religious services for the troops. Shipped constantly from area to area in cold, wet, freezing, hot, humid weather, whatever, and those old Hammonds never missed a note. They were built to last.

Archived