Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kinda OT: Steve Jobs was right about Flash

ITGITC

As Steve Jobs predicted, Flash needed to go away on mobile devices...

Adobe has decided to stop developing Flash Player the software necessary to view certain types of multimedia files for mobile devices.

KLONK

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now maybe musicians will consider giving up Flash on their websites.

:rolleyes:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Mr. Golly, I'm elated. I don't even run Flash on my Mac*, much less on my iOS devices.

*That statement is a lie. I don't let Flash run on my Mac except where I've installed it inside a browser's package. Therefore, I limit it to that one browser. I only do this because so many music and musician sites need Flash to run especially if I want to hear their music.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Steve Jobs was right about LOTS of things.

:wave:

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I don't ever remember QuickTime being worse than Flash. I remember the early attempts at Flash "movies" and wondering why the hell they didn't use QuickTime.

I remember years ago when Quick Time was banned from any Windows PC at our agency.

Hey Robert, who is that guy sitting to your right in this picture?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_-dYEI8ndP5Y/S1_AFGTCNQI/AAAAAAAAHWw/abRI1gg9Ir8/s320/1976_slide_rule.jpg

Is he the guy who banned Quick Time from the Windows PCs at your agency?

:laugh:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I remember years ago when Quick Time was banned from any Windows PC at our agency.

That was probably a good move at the time, Microsoft deliberately sabotaged Quicktime for Windows in an attempt to make video for windows the standard http://www.theregister.co.uk/1998/10/31/microsoft_sabotaged_quicktime_says_apple/

"Just a tad more attack on the filter, Grandad!"

QuickTime sucks.

I have to have it on my laptop, it's required for certain work-related things. It frequently gets updated. Every time it does, it take over ALL media types, and ignores the fact that I prefer to use Windows Media Player.

Now, when I click on a link to play an MP3, instead of immediately streaming, it loads it all and then displays a bar I have to click to start the play. There's a checkbox in the QT control panel to stream, but it's checked and still it won't stream.

On Firefox, I can disable QuickTime and it lets WiMP have MP3s. Unfortunately, on MSIE, this doesn't work.

Previously the fix was to use Windows control panel to set WiMP back as the right application for mp3's, but this time that doesn't work: it's *already* the app selected. Yet QT still steals the mp3 links.

The list of annoyances goes on and on. QT sucks and should be killed. If only Apple stuff didn't think that THE USER IS AN IDIOT, SO WE MUST DO EVERYTHING FOR THE USER whether the user wants it or not, with no exceptions!

iTunes was equally brazen about taking over the computer and ruining a good DAW setup. Fortunately it was easy to uninstall and it left no nasty tracks.

Not to off-track my own off-topic thread, but...

What the hell? :/

Two other nasty offenders were/are:

Norton Utilities

Roxio Easy Media Creator.

I'm sure you guys can name a few more, but those are the two that come to mind.

As I said earlier, I got a new MacBook Air for my birthday recently. It's really, really nice. So I'm hanging out in both camps these days; my desktop Win7 PC is my game machine and my Frankenstein monster. The MBA is slick - and I like it. :love:

Gawd. I've turned into such a hardcore Geek Wannabe. :facepalm:

Now all they need to do is get rid of AIR, which is even worse.

Mix Magazine switched to Air for their on-line edition recently, and it's almost entirely useless now. Nigh impossible to pan or control your zoom level or browse the issue.

It also makes an annoying white noise every time you "flip" the page, to make sure you know it's actually going to the next page (your eyes aren't good enough to tell this, apparently). That "page flip" sound seems impossible to defeat, even when turning off the computer's sounds in preferences.

On a sadder note, 7500 people are now newly unemployed.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

VLC is cool and way useful. I even have it on my iPad.

Get Splashtop, it is so much better than any VLC app I've seen. Stream things like video from HULU.com to your iPad smoothly with audio.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Speaking only for myself, I'd rather use Apple software on a Mac and Microsoft software on a PC. In my experience and opinion, neither company has ported its products to the other's platform as well as they've designed them for their own.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I thought Flash was for ...

"...every one of us, every man, every woman, every child, oh Flash ..."

Last time I take any computer advice from the lyrics of a popular beat combo.

Freddie - you were wrong about Flash.

Next I'll be finding out that Bootsy was wrong about Bling.

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

Get Splashtop, it is so much better than any VLC app I've seen. Stream things like video from HULU.com to your iPad smoothly with audio.

Ooh - this looks interesting. I'm downloading it now. THanks, Mike! :thu:

Archived