Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kinda OT: Steve Jobs was right about Flash

ITGITC

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... If only Apple stuff didn't think that THE USER IS AN IDIOT, SO WE MUST DO EVERYTHING FOR THE USER whether the user wants it or not, with no exceptions!

Always been my biggest issue with Mac and I have 4 of them in my house. The latest OS made it worse. It was bad enough when the rules were only "programs only go on C drive in this folder, libraries in this folder, documents in this folder, etc..." Now they are taking away the save buttons and making programs save as you type. What happens when you change your mind about something and want to revert to your last save. I have a system of creating a base document and then using "Save As" to create new documents off of that. Apple's latest brilliant (sarcasm) move is to remove the "Save As" option in Lion for Pages and some other programs. Pages is no longer useful to me. I hate to go back to installing Word on my MacBook and Air but I may have to.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Robert, are you using Safari?

I can't get it to work right with Google Maps. In street view it won't follow touchpad gestures correctly.

However, when I changed to Firefox, Google Maps works just fine.

The Mac has a lot to offer, but it definitely has a unique personality.

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

RABid,

I agree the removal of Save As in Lion was stupid. But you can do the same thing. Instead choose "Duplicate" that will open a new document window then save that and it will give you the save dialog box allowing you to change the name. Its dumb I know but you know where that comes from? They do useability studies and test the computer illiterate. So basically because a bunch of idiots couldn't figure out what Save As was good for they changed it to Duplicate and added an extra step! Expect the same kind of idiocy in Windows 8!

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

What happens when you change your mind about something and want to revert to your last save. I have a system of creating a base document and then using "Save As" to create new documents off of that. Apple's latest brilliant (sarcasm) move is to remove the "Save As" option in Lion for Pages and some other programs. Pages is no longer useful to me. I hate to go back to installing Word on my MacBook and Air but I may have to.

I haven't used Pages, but your description does not sound like how it's supposed to work. As I understand it, the way Lion's auto-save works is that, besides automatically saving as you go, you can always force a Save at any time (command-S as always), and you can always revert to any previously Saved version. IOW, they did not take away Save As. Instead, they functionally made EVERY Save a Save As (i.e. an independently retrievable version), through the Versions function. If you want to give a specific Saved version its own file and a different name (as you would with the old Save As command), you would use the Duplicate command. See:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4753

EDIT: also see http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20102158-263/duplicate-vs-save-as-in-os-x-lion/

So if the reason you're using "Save As" is to be able to continue to work while maintaining access to some other version from a previously existing state, that function is now done through Versions, in a way that is more complete (every saved version is accessible, instead of only the last saved version), automatic (so you don't run into "oh, I should have saved a version between then and now"), more efficient (each version exists as a set of changes within one master file, rather than having numerous files that largely duplicate each other), and more trackable (i.e. if you ended up with five "save as" versions of a doc the old way, chronology can sometimes get confused, and if you're retrieving docs with Spotlight, each version will come up as its own document and it may not be clear which one you want).

OTOH, if the reason you're using "Save As" is to specifically create a completely different, self-contained file based on a specific set of changes, that function is now done through Duplicate.

Anyway, that's my understanding...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Lots of complaints about this on the user forums. Example...

Sample Thread

It is the same reason I refuse to use iPhoto. Apple wants to invisibly manage originals, revisions, etc... without me knowing what files I have and where they are. For me that is not acceptable. I want control of my document revisions.

Smart, creative people do not need to be micromanaged.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

It is the same reason I refuse to use iPhoto. Apple wants to invisibly manage originals, revisions, etc... without me knowing what files I have and where they are. For me that is not acceptable. I want control of my document revisions.

I generally agree. I don't think that's directly analogous to the AutoSave+Versions functionality, but yeah, there has been this long running trend that computers do what they think we will want, instead of specifically what we ask. Microsoft started it, and unfortunately, Apple has joined the club. I continue to use Macs because "they suck less." They haven't actually been *good* since before OS X came out. Jobs was brilliant in aesthetics and brilliant in marketing, but I think OS X (based on his NeXT OS) was a huge step backwards in ease of use/user interface and consistent/predictable behavior.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Regarding Flash... A developer should be able to do anything you can do with Flash without it. In the past, the problem has been differences in the browsers, so that you had to do browser detection and write a ton of different code to handle every possible browser and OS that may hit your site. I've never cared for flash and felt that the answer was for all of the browsers to conform more strictly to the standard set forth.

But that being said, there are a lot of sites using flash (almost all of them my daughter visits - Disney, nick jr, etc), and it sucks not being able to hit them on my iPad.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Wow, interesting comment about OS X, as it's the ONLY reason I decided to go off into the great unknown when I bought my first home computer in 2002.

I nearly had a nervous breakdown trying to simultaneously learn OS 9 and OS X, with no friends or colleagues to help and no internet for the first year. OS 9 crashed so fatally I had to unplug the computer from the wall over and over again, and I thought I would NEVER solve all the Extensions issues!

With OS X, the Mac is more like other OS's than before, or at least hides some of its more bizarre file system concepts.

But I had to use mostly OS 9 at first, as most of my apps took a year or more to port to OS X (e.g. Digital Performer).

I'm still on Windows XP and refuse to go forward. Well, at least until last week -- but rather than rebuild my Windows box at work, we're going to use virtualization to work with Windows 7 on my new MacPro at the office.

My productivity has skyrocketed since switching to the Mac as my main development box, but rebuilding the Windows box might have gotten me 90% (definitely not 100%, due to the System Registry and its impact) of the way there as well. I just didn't see the point, as the System Registry causes every Windows box to become slower over time -- a feature unique to that OS.

The funny thing about Flash, though, is that it causes WAY more trouble on my Windows box at work than it even caused on my old G4 iMac that I retired about a year ago this month. So I never bought into the argument that it was Steve Jobs' fault.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The funny thing about Flash, though, is that it causes WAY more trouble on my Windows box at work than it even caused on my old G4 iMac that I retired about a year ago this month. So I never bought into the argument that it was Steve Jobs' fault.

But that's not the argument...

Jobs (and Apple) refused to support Flash on iOS, which caused a hue and cry from the masses, who didn't know any better than "I can't see my cool website on my i!"

This development is basically Adobe saying "yes, okay, you guys are right, Flash isn't a mobile-friendly format, we'll eat crow and use HTML5 and CSS3 like we should have for the last year or more...".

Yeah, I keep forgetting this is all about the Mobile Space, as I've never owned a mobile device other than a barely-functional cell phone running a proprietary system that pre-dates iOS and Android. :-)

And in a way, this thing about Flash may just be the first of many "surprises" regarding legacy technology that gets replaced by something else in the mobile environment.

And probably that's a good thing, as each generation tends to bring along something that is more intuitive and scales better to different systems.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

And speaking of which, does anyone know if the version of Windows that Nokia is now going to run on their cell phones (they are dumping their proprietary system) is going to run Flash? I wasn't sure if it's a variant on Windows CE or is a new Windows variant designed specifically for the mobile environment.

Archived