Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Things to do in Ft Lauderdale?

mate stubb

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's a very nice Italian Bakery that you could have breakfast with your family there, look for Gran Forno Clonk, ask for Salvatori, great guy, great food, i worked there for a while.

There are many nice restaurants around Las Olas, especially on the weekends, bars, nightclubs, live bands and all that kind of stuff, i'm sure there'll be something there for the family as well.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

There's a very nice Italian Bakery that you could have breakfast with your family there, look for Gran Forno Clonk, ask for Salvatori, great guy, great food, i worked there for a while.

There are many nice restaurants around Las Olas, especially on the weekends, bars, nightclubs, live bands and all that kind of stuff, i'm sure there'll be something there for the family as well.

Crimsonian king... Are you from Ft Lauderdale? I was raised there. Did the whole club scene back in the 60's and 70's. Big Daddy's , Ocean Mist Lounge, The Button, The Flying Machine, The Poop Deck, Tight Squeeze Club, Grimms, The She, The Four O'clock Club... Played them all...

I agree that the Las Olas scene is just about the end of it now... Some decent clubs... But not like it was in the 70's. The music scene was much more happening then with many great local bands. But I also find this to be true in LA. More clubs closing... Going to tribute bands... Or worse, DJ's.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Crimsonian king... Are you from Ft Lauderdale? I was raised there. Did the whole club scene back in the 60's and 70's. Big Daddy's , Ocean Mist Lounge, The Button, The Flying Machine, The Poop Deck, Tight Squeeze Club, Grimms, The She, The Four O'clock Club... Played them all...

I agree that the Las Olas scene is just about the end of it now... Some decent clubs... But not like it was in the 70's. The music scene was much more happening then with many great local bands. But I also find this to be true in LA. More clubs closing... Going to tribute bands... Or worse, DJ's.

Hey Dave, i lived there and other places nearby for 8 years, but yeah, i guess Las Olas is the only nice place left, i don't remember any of those places you mentioned so they probably closed down.

There's one cool bar though called Fat Cats, there's a Reggae night on wednesdays, Jazz & Blues on Thurdays, can't remember what's on friday, and then your regular Rock cover band on Saturdays, played there a few times. I'm sure the scene isn't as good as back in the day, but Las Olas is all that's left in Ft. Lauderdale besides the beach (which IMO is nothing special). There isn't much to do there except restaurants and stuff like that nowadays.

By the way, Moe...there's a Cheesecake Factory there, i'm sure your kids would love it.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

Crimsonia... My friend's band still plays at Fat Cats. they are called Mr. nice Guy. This is the same drummer who played with me 40 years ago.... Still great.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Crimsonia... My friend's band still plays at Fat Cats. they are called Mr. nice Guy. This is the same drummer who played with me 40 years ago.... Still great.

The name is very, very familiar, not sure i've seen them live though, do they play originals or covers? I don't know many cover bands around there cause most of the time i was playing originals and hangin' with those kind of bands. Fat Cats is still one of those places that's always full of life, especially on the Reggae night, it's craaazy and i'm not even the biggest Reggae fan, i truly miss it.

Being a west-coaster, the novelty of year-round warm water never wears off for me. So if you think your family might enjoy snorkeling I can make some first-hand recommendations:

* There's a nice reef about 2-3 miles off the coast of Ft. Lauderdale and you can catch half-day charters at Bahia Mar: http://www.seaxp.com/departures.html

* If you're willing to make a day trip of it and drive down to the upper keys, there's some really great snorkel excursion at John Pennekamp State Park (Key Largo) and also at Biscayne National Park (Key Biscayne).

* I also tried walk-in snorkeling further north at Delray Beach. I brought my own snorkeling stuff, so it was free but not as good as the excursions above.

They play covers. Mostly 70's.

Just curious - what's so bad about the airport? I've flown in and out of FLL many times and it's not remarkably different from than any other airport I've used...

Sorry 'bout that. I just had the one experience, but it was so bad, the mere mention of Ft. Lauderdale sends shivers up my spine.

Wall to wall people sleeping on the floor, no planes could get in or out, and with 5 terminals, not a single Starbucks :cry:

Archived