Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

10'' active loudspeaker

Gabricasanova

Hello!

Hello!

I am thinking of buying two 10'' active loudspeaker.

I want to amplify the keyboards, I do not need too much power, so if I wish I had a very good definition and clarity. I also need to have good bass.

What do you recommend me?

QSC K10

Mackie SRM 350 v2

RCF ART 310

Or what?

Thanks very much.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use the QSC K10 and like it very much. I have not tried the others.

Note that 10' (single quote symbol) means 10 feet (3m) whereas 10" (double quote) means 10 inches (25cm), which is what you want. The US, Myanmar and Liberia apologize for their stubborn refusal to join the metric system.

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

You may also want to consider the JBL range.

I have a JBL EONG2 10", which is no longer a current model. I like it, but I know others who've tried more speakers feel it's not as good as the QSC K10.

If you can search on this forum, there's various threads discussing active speakers (often when the thread title is about keyboard amplifiers).

I use the QSC K10 as well. There is a LOT of power, which translates to great clarity. It has a deep switch that will add bass to the system, but you probably won't need it. Yesterday at praise band rehearsal, I was working on a Rhodes part, and the head sound man commented that my cabinet, which is facing toward me and away from front of house, and is set at about 1 1/2, was filling the room with bass. I had to cut off the deep switch.

You will also find that the throw of the sound is unbelievable. There is as much volume level at 100' away as there is up close.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Note that 10' (single quote symbol) means 10 feet (3m) whereas 10" (double quote) means 10 inches (25cm), which is what you want. The US, Myanmar and Liberia apologize for their stubborn refusal to join the metric system.

Reminds me of the Spinal Tap debacle involving the Stonehenge plans on Nigel's napkin and Stonehenge being in danger of being crushed by a dwarven dancer.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

When I first came to the U.S. at age 19 from Europe I was shocked at how difficult the measurement system was, metric is superior and so much easier, it would not be used in surgery if it was not. May be one day the U.S. will come around but I won't hold my breath.

JBL's are fabulous, I put them in a Roland 550 after building a wooden enclosure instead of their pressed cardboard. The plastic speaker enclosures are very good to. I have a great 5.1 sound system from Harmon Kardon that blows me away. Cheers.

Back in the 1970s President Ford signed a bill that was supposed to gradually convert the US to the metric system, but it was scuttled by the Reagan administration. At the time we were in a recession and it would have placed additional costs on businesses to convert - although I'm sure there were deep philosophical reasons within that administration for wanting that bill to go.

We made it as far as liters of soda. And grams of coke. And kilos of weed.

Al over at HC Live Sound has a pair of those RCF's (as well as a bunch of other powered stuff) and absolutely loves them. You might go over there and see what he has to say. If it were me, it would between them and the QSCs for powered 10"s.

Yes. And, while we're at it, when writing in English, use a period for the decimal point, not a comma! ... Not that anyone made that mistake here ...

And when we laugh, it's "hehehe". (haha)

Such a shame that we still haven't joined the 20th century here in the US. Ford's bill wasn't just scuttled by Reagan -- it was scuttled by American business and the public. People avoided gas stations that sold gas by the liter. I worked for Ford Motor at the time; they "went metric" by relabeling all their English nut & bolt sizes using metric sizes. Hey buddy, pass that 23.34 mm wrench! It would have cost a lot in the short run, but we'd be better off today.

Sigh

Now, back to 10-foot speakers, where the real action is! :laugh:

Horse hockey. Every car in the U.S. is designed in the metric system. Every drawing, every technical paper in the auto industry uses metric units. Science, medicine, and the military are all metric.

On top of that, nearly all "English" measurements are now defined in terms of metric units.

The fact is, the "U.S. customary unit system" is now just a veneer over the metric system.

Other names for U.S. customary units

The United States Code refers to these units as "traditional systems of weights and measures".

A pejorative name sometimes used by advocates of metrication is FFU for Fred Flintstone Units.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I just picked up a used Peavey PR10 active speaker, it's a 2-way in a molded cabinet. Bought it from a friend as part of a package deal when he was clearing out some stuff to move. I have an older EV SX that is my main keyboard amp, but I've been using the Peavy for smaller gigs and rehearsals. The Peavey has a built-in 3 channel mixer, so I can plug 2 keys directly without a mixer. The EV only has balanced inputs, so I have to bring a mixer.

I've been really surprised and pleased at how good the little Peavey sounds. The EV clearly has a lot more power and projects farther, but the Peavey sounds really good, and is definitely convenient.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Horse hockey. Every car in the U.S. is designed in the metric system. Every drawing, every technical paper in the auto industry uses metric units. Science, medicine, and the military are all metric.

Yeah I know ;) That was supposed to have been my lighthearted moment of the morning.

This country will gradually become metric as the generation of my kids start assuming positions of power - both in business and government. They're all much more comfortable using the metric system than I am, and none of my kids are scientists, doctors, or engineers.

They're just young adults of the 21st Century.

I knew you were being lighthearted, but I wasn't sure if you meant it, if you catch my drift. ;)

One thing I hated when I was studying engineering was having to do problems in FFU. You have all these units that don't go together nicely so you have to double the work just to do the math. OTOH, the metric system just makes sense.

The dumb part to me is, the British converted to the metric system but left things like what consumers need alone. They can still order a pound of meat. We could have done that (and we have in some areas, as I pointed out) but didn't do it everywhere.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Try to give the JBL EON 510's a listen to. I went a few years back to purchase a pair of QSC K10's and walked out with the JBL's instead. Less money, much lighter (17lbs ea), and (IMHO) as good sounding. Only drawback is the pre-amp gain is so low that you have to run through a small mixer to boost it enough to drive the speakers to full volume. Since I already had a small mixer, it was not an issue for me. YMMV.

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Try to give the JBL EON 510's a listen to. I went a few years back to purchase a pair of QSC K10's and walked out with the JBL's instead. Less money, much lighter (17lbs ea), and (IMHO) as good sounding. Only drawback is the pre-amp gain is so low that you have to run through a small mixer to boost it enough to drive the speakers to full volume. Since I already had a small mixer, it was not an issue for me. YMMV.

I've found this necessary with my K10 as well, and also have a comment about throw. You need to be a few feet away from the wedge, not almost on top of it like with many stage monitors, to get the full benefit of its power. The K8 is for shorter field.

Here for the gear.

Archived