Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Embarrased to ask-->Loverboy's Turn me Loose Intro

Iconoclast

This time I used the Search function and I'm not suprised to find this subject is NOT talked about in the last year.

So, the beginning of this song has some kind of ascending chromatic thing that goes like 3 octaves. I figure it's got to be studio magic or some feature of a vintage keyboard that I don't own.

Anybody got an idea how to start this song with something that sounds like that?

I was thinking about playing parallel scales a 4th apart. Or just doing a ascending portmento thing...but it kind of ends up souding like the beginning of Riding the Storm Out.

Maybe I'll just get a bandana and parachute pants and a bright polyester wife beater T-shirt and hope no one notices my playing?

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some vintage keyboards had the ability to do glissando in portamento mode (my Jupiter 6 has it). You just tune the oscillators to the appropriate interval, and set the portamento time. From there it's as simple as holding the lower "note", then hitting the upper "note". After it glissando's up, turn off portamento and continue through the changes.

Without that feature, you can still do a patch with that chord and just do the gliss manually.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

It's just a one finger gliss bro. I'm not in front of my keyboard, but I think it's just a G5 (no third) glissing up to G9 (no third, 5 on top). But I'm at work, so I cant verify the chord.

Parachute pants and wife beater aren't going to save you now; you'll ned red leather pants and an Olivia Newton John headband.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

If you can't program the portamento on your board to do it then check the manual or dive into the menus and see what the max bend range is on your board. If you are an octave short then holding down a 1/5/1 on the up gliss may sound OK. I say this because the max bend range on my controller 24 and that is if I am controlling an external synth. The internal sound will only bend 6 semi tones( I believe).

If you still can't get it maybe you can find an old DW8000 or D-50 cheap. Carrying a synth for just one song sort of sucks but I doing that right now just to play the breakdown towards the end Free Ride.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I figure it's got to be studio magic or some feature of a vintage keyboard that I don't own.

Might help to know what you do own... you might have the very feature (see 80's response above for the correct answer) and not even know it.

Oh, and some advice; you might want to search farther back than 1 year for tips on a song that came out in 1980. ;):thu:

If worse comes to worse and your rig won't do it and you really want it done. Maybe offer the seller $150-$200 for this board. I think $300 a little too much you can get D-50s for $300

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/msg/2636115867.html

Download manuals here.

http://www.dw8000.com

As I recall, it was not glide but a quantized glide in half steps to make a chord that slides up chromatically.

Not sure you could easily play this by hand - single note sure, but not a chord.

It was a function on his synth. Chroma does this, JP6 as mentioned above, maybe some others.

Some modern soft synths do this also.

Moe

---

As I recall, it was not glide but a quantized glide in half steps to make a chord that slides up chromatically.

Not sure you could easily play this by hand - single note sure, but not a chord.

Could program a patch that includes all the chord tones.

If it makes you feel any better, OP, I'll be working on this same song in the not-too-distant future...

Sounds like a possible use of a vocal processor hard auto tune function. :laugh:

I've done this song -- I don't think duplicating the individual half steps is necessary. I would just do it as a pitch bend up - 2 octaves, I think.

Start point is -- g+a+d+g and glide it up.

Yamaha Montage M6, Nord Stage 4 - 88, Hammond SK-Pro 73, Yamaha YC-73, Mainstage, Yamaha U1 Upright

It was a function on his synth. Chroma does this, JP6 as mentioned above, maybe some others.

Some modern soft synths do this al so.

IIRC, my Prophet 5 had this function, and I'm reasonably sure Doug Johnson was using a P5 around the time of TML.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Yeah, I meant to mention my gear and forgot. S90xs and XK-3C.

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

Now that's a blast from the past!! Thanks for that.

I grew up in Western Canada (Loverboy was from further west), and can still remember hearing the promo for them (with that intro) on the "new" FM radio station (?1979?) as they started their "tour" in a local Lethbridge bar (pop. 50,000). I was only 15 so could not get in, but I always thought that was a pretty killer record (also too embarrassed to admit) and wondered if they were ever heard much out beyond Western Canada?

In those days, the wild west was pretty well served by Yamaha but not much else in terms of synths, so I always assumed it was a Yamaha CS. (I grew up on the Electone organs - neigh a Hammond in sight).

Next up - Saga?!!

They were heard by a lot of people outside Canada but they had the poor timing to hit the scene right before Grunge changed the scene entirely.

Sven: Nice find on the 2011 live youtube. There's a lot of youtubes of them playing that song but the audio of them all sucks and I couldn't find one with a decent view of the keyboard player.

Stupid question: a half tone scale and chromatic scale are the same thing?

They were heard by a lot of people outside Canada but they had the poor timing to hit the scene right before Grunge changed the scene entirely.

Not to go all "rock historian" on you, but I disagree completely. Loverboy was biggest in the early 80s. Their self-titled debut (the album with "Turn Me Loose") came out in 1980, and their biggest album (Get Lucky, with "Workin' For the Weekend") was released in 1981. Their last hit of any significance (at least in the States) was "This Could Be The Night," and that came in 1985.

Grunge didn't really form as a musical movement until much later in the 80s and it didn't become a household name outside of Seattle until bands like Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, and Nirvana hit in the early 90s.

If you want to argue that grunge killed late 80s hair metal like Poison and Def Leppard, I'm with you. But grunge didn't kill Loverboy. I think Loverboy did that all on their own.

Noah

P.S. While we're on the topic, my favorite Loverboy song was always "Queen of the Broken Hearts."

OK...I agree with you guys. I might have been thinking about a quote from a different band.

Doug Johnson used a CS-60, he never owned a CS-80. And he did that "glide" by playing a half-tone scale manually. Practice your scales, kids!

Hell, I have a Kawai SX 210 with that step-glide feature. I'd have to see documentation on the claim that he played it.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Check that clip; he plays it 2 hand, doesnt do a gliss as I recommended (although I would still gliss it and not feel cheesy about it). Doug was a Van Cliburn level classical pianist, who went "rock" for the money. He's got serious chops.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Archived