Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Big day in the garden...

dazzjazz

Hi all,

Yesterday I had a huge day in the garden, removing trees, planting new ones. Spent a lot of time wielding a mattock that weighed a ton. All the while I was thinking "this is gonna ruin my hands". Sure did - today the muscle that 'drives' my thumb is swollen, forearms ache like mad etc. I can still play, but lucky I don't have a gig till the weekend. I do, however, have a bunch of repertoire to learn.

Anyway, my question is: Do any of you have similar experiences or can you spend a day on home renovation and go play a serious gig afterwards?

Maybe I'm just a woos!

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I always wear gloves just to keep from tearing up my hands.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

It's too late now, but maybe for next time...

Immediately ice the strained muscles and take a health dose of ibuprofen. Both will help prevent swelling which is what makes your muscles get stiff and sore. Old rock climbers trick.

I had the same sort of weekend - preparing my garlic beds for planting.

Ice, ibuprofen and massage will still help reduce the swelling.

Good luck,

Ken

Yeah I spent a good chunk of the afternoon yesterday removing all the plants, flowers, herbs, etc that we enjoyed all summer.

I find you have to use the right tool for the job. Many times the hand shears weren't doing the job, and I could feel the muscles in my hands starting to get sore, so I switched to a root cutter, and it was like butter afterwords.

My hands & arms are ok today, it's my legs & arse that are 'stiff'.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

This is always a concern for me, so I try to take it easy in the yard or space work out. As Dan Stecko points out also, having the right tools for the job is always a big plus.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

If you played bass on a gig for a couple hours, you'd probably have blisters and aching muscles. In part, it's just a matter of doing something strenuous that you're not used to doing.

Hand shears are something to avoid. I see a strong potential there for repetitive motion injury.

I garden every weekend, but I stop before my hands start suffering. I try to avoid construction stuff. For one thing, I'm just no good at it. Also, potential for injuries both chronic and acute.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I wasn't working outside yesterday, but one of our neighbors was. I returned from church just in time to hear the music "for two chainsaws" which lasted several hours. My Sunday afternoon nap was delayed until the concert concluded.

:rolleyes:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

They just changed the ordinance here for using power tools from 7 AM to 8 AM. An improvement, but lots of times, not enough.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Our one neighbor is always working on something over there--stays busy almost 24/7. Between running the mower, chain saws, working on someone's car, etc... we've just gotten used to it.

Of course he plows our driveway in winter for free as well.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Thanks everyone, I did the ibuprofen trick on the day, and been getting into some magnesium and fish oil too.

It's such a drag, as I wish I could do more around the house, but I gotta look after my hands...

There were 2 tree stumps that I couldn't remove - hired a guy with a stump grinder (reminds me of an ex-girlfriend!) and the offending tree stumps were gone in seconds - never again am I gonna dig one out!!

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Archived