Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can Someone Here Compare The Yamaha CP33 With A Clavinova?

Polkahero

This is probably a long shot, but I played my church's Yamaha Clavinova CLP-120 (discontinued lower end model from 2002) tonight and was wondering how the action/sounds compare to the newer CP33 stage piano. The action was great (graded hammer action), acoustic piano wasn't bad, harpsichord was great, organs were meh, strings sounded really nice. It only had a DX7 and Rhodes for EP which were okay. I'm looking at the CP33 (fits my budget and isn't too heavy) to possibly replace my Alesis QS8/Kurz PC2R setup and if the sounds of this older Clavinova are close, I'm pretty impressed. No music store around here stocks the CP33 so it's difficult to try out before buying. Thanks for any input!

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't A/B them, but I love the CP33. I many compliments on the sound. The Mono piano is great for gigging, and the stereo ones sound stellar in the studio - these have fooled many an ear, including people who should know better.

Here's something I can put my hands on easily Stars - Anita Spring a co-write I did 2 years ago. Piano solo at end of track.

The Rhodes/Wurly sounds are useable, but not very playable from the action I think. I've ordered a NS2 for those...

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Action is probably almost identical, both keyboards are GH (graded hammer), but the piano sound is better in CP33 (it's just more modern). The Clavinova clp-120 has AWM stereo sampling while the CP33 has AWM Dynamic stereo sampling, so you have more dynamic steps in the CP33 and the changes in the timbre of the sound from pp to ff are much more accurate and realistic on the CP33.

I think both sampled the same CFIII grand piano, but with an improved sampling technology and better ROM in the CP33.

Generally speaking, sounds will be better on a CP33 and the action is the same.

cheers

I have owned a CLP 150, the big brother of the CLP 120 played, and I currently own the CP300, big brother of the CP33.

1. The action is the same in all of these boards.

2. The piano sound will be very similar, i could swear the same sample set though I cant be sure.

I imagine you will love the CP33 if you loved the CLP120. Of course the CP33 doesn't have speakers, but apart from that it should be a similar experience. GMan was selling one if I recall for an awesome price.

We are all slave's to our brain chemistry!

I like my CP33.

If you're after a good piano sound in a compact, not too heavy package, with nice action and good controller functions, you can't go wrong with the CP33.

Piano sounds great in stereo, sums well to mono.

I like the Rhodes sound (add some phaser, set EQ to "mellow", and it's usable.

Wurly is OK, you can add a tremolo effect, but it's not very tweakable, trem gets lost in the mix.

Strings sound is ok, I wish you could adjust the attack. But I often layer strings with piano, and it works for some ballads. It's nice to have real-time control with the two zone sliders; I push the 2nd slider up to emphasize the strings as needed.

Clav is workable; I usually add some Phaser.

And, I even use the DX-7-ish sounds on a few songs. :sick:

Stuff and things.

I also can't A/B the two boards, but I hope that this can be a help:

I have owned a cp-33 for several years and I still love its acoustic pianos (the "Bright piano" being my favorite for gigging). The action is rather heavy compared to other stage pianos I've tried, but with the right touch setting the acoustic pianos work brilliantly for my purposes.

The cp-33 Rhodes is, to my ears, not bad but tends to jump abruptly from bell-like to barking. With the right touch setting, I am often able to stay in one range, however limited that is. The Wurly is, in my opinion, workable with the tremolo on and/or in a mix - where it sounds surprisingly well. I have used the cp-33 Clav quite a bit, however almost always with an auto-wah pedal. I recently bought a NE3 to cover rhodes/wurly/clav/B3, and however fond I am of this instrument, I still prefer the cp-33 acoustic piano samples to the ones on the Nord.

Morten

Heys guys, thanks for all the positive input on the CP33! So do you think the acoustic piano will give the triple-strike sample in my Kurz PC2R a run for the money?

I plan on stacking a Hammond SK1 on top to make up for any deficiencies in organ (pipe and tonewheel) and EP sounds. I think this could be a killer combination! Especially with Hammond going to offer downloads of new sound libraries in the future!

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

The CP33 acoustic sample is still one of Yamaha's best. For some reason, it comes across better ( to me ) through phones than the CP50 does.

I just wish it had better EP's. It has been what has kept me from buying one all these years.

I had to go with the Roland RD 300 GX instead and love the EP's on it because they don't bark too quickly.

The CP33 acoustic sample is still one of Yamaha's best.....

Just wondering if this sample is unique to the CP33 or featured in any other Yamaha DPs? Really impressed by it in dazzjazz's audio (not to mention the great playing!).

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I'm not sure, but I suspect it was unique to that generation of Yammy DP's. Definitely different to the P200, which is 2 generations prior.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Heys guys, thanks for all the positive input on the CP33! So do you think the acoustic piano will give the triple-strike sample in my Kurz PC2R a run for the money?

I'm not sure if the PC2R is the same triple strike piano that is in the PC3 or not. I've been helping a guy (through email) getting his newly acquired PC3 up and running. He recently wrote to me and said this:

" .. I think I mentioned before that Ive played on the Yamaha CP33 digital piano (at church every week) and the PC3for only a few hundred bucks morewould have been a much better choice, given its 900 or so sounds, the great KB3 and Leslies, etc and frankly the pianos are as goodif not betterthan the famed Yamaha sampled grand. The touch is identical as far as I can see. I guess I dont understand why anyone would waste $900 or so on a CP33 other than to have the 88 keys ... ".

His comment regarding the keybed action is interesting. I've heard many people in this forum shit all over the key action of the PC3 yet not a peep about the CP33 key action which according to him is nearly identical... Hope his analysis helps you regarding the triple strike vs the Yamaha sound.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Dave,

Thanks for that input. The PC3 uses the same triple-strike samples as the PC2 series though I believe they've made improvements to the samples. My bandleader has a PC3K8 and I don't hear much different between his acoustic piano and mine. I thought the action was pretty stiff, probably similar to this Yamaha but I prefer that type of action anyway.

I've decided to get a used Alesis QSR module for using in church until I get a Hammond SK1. Same sounds as the QS8 without having to lug the beast around not to mention they go for dirt cheap. I'll be able to control it through the church's Roland digital piano.

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Don't confuse the semi-weighted 76-note PC3 with the weighted 88-note PC3X/PC3K8.
You need to re-read what my friend wrote to me. No mention of a PC3X anywhere in the dialogue.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I'm confused now as well, Dave. Your friend said his PC3 was only a few hundred bucks more than the CP33. My bandleader's PC3 cost him $3500 which is more than a "few" hundred bucks more than the CP33 which retails for a grand!

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

My bandleader's PC3 cost him $3500 which is more than a "few" hundred bucks more than the CP33 which retails for a grand!
What???

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kurzweil-PC3-B-stock-keyboard-/170712550605?pt=Keyboards_MIDI&hash=item27bf42cccd

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Wait, I'm confused. I don't see any mention of PC3X/PC3K8 in your post, either. However, there's no way in hell that the CP33 action is anything like the PC3.
I can't confirm or deny since I've never played a CP33. I only reported what he wrote to me. He owns a PC3, not a PC3X. He plays a CP33 at his church. He reported the comparison. Don't shoot the messenger.

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

If I remember correctly, the bandleader got a PC3K 88 key - which sells for considerably more than a PC3X did even before the blowout sale on the PC361, PC3, and PC3X.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

" .. I think I mentioned before that Ive played on the Yamaha CP33 digital piano (at church every week) and the PC3for only a few hundred bucks morewould have been a much better choice, given its 900 or so sounds, the great KB3 and Leslies, etc and frankly the pianos are as goodif not betterthan the famed Yamaha sampled grand. The touch is identical as far as I can see. I guess I dont understand why anyone would waste $900 or so on a CP33 other than to have the 88 keys ... ".

This guy I dont think is very sensitive to keyboards....who is this guy?"

Ive played both the CP33 and the PC3fx, ABed em.

1. Actions TOTALLY different. Yamaha GH is a more solid, proper action, though it is quite heavy. PC3 has a shit action compared to this, pardon my french. I was shocked when I played it! I couldn't believe this was the famous new PC3 fx or whatever its called. T

So, Totally different actions.

Piano sound, Kurz, meh, a bit plingy and 2001. Get the Yamaha, it does exactly what it says on the tin.

Reading posts above, indeed the PC3X retails for lots of money. Around $3500 up here in Canada. So, as you can imagine I was shocked at how poor the action was compared to Nord, Yamaha GH, and CP5, and especially Rolands actions (my favorite was the RD700NX.)

There were two keyboards there that I thought "horrible action". One was the PC3Xf, the other was Korgs RH3 in an SV73 with its wobbly keys and spongy bottoming out.

A Yamaha CP33 has the same action as the CP50, and I can tell you you wont be disappointed. You may prefer a Roland action, or the newer Yamaha actions, but all in all its a solid choice. I practice Hanon, scales, Oscar Peterson transcriptions every day on my CP300 which has the same action as the CP33, and although Id prefer a real expensive Yamaha Baby Grand or even upright, I cant complain.

Reading posts above, indeed the PC3X retails for lots of money. Around $3500 up here in Canada. So, as you can imagine I was shocked at how poor the action was compared to Nord, Yamaha GH, and CP5, and especially Rolands actions (my favorite was the RD700NX.)

There were two keyboards there that I thought "horrible action". One was the PC3Xf, the other was Korgs RH3 in an SV73 with its wobbly keys and spongy bottoming out.

A Yamaha CP33 has the same action as the CP50, and I can tell you you wont be disappointed. You may prefer a Roland action, or the newer Yamaha actions, but all in all its a solid choice. I practice Hanon, scales, Oscar Peterson transcriptions every day on my CP300 which has the same action as the CP33, and although Id prefer a real expensive Yamaha Baby Grand or even upright, I cant complain.

Mike,

How would you compare the acoustic piano in the Yamaha to your GEM RP-X module?

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Well Ive sold the module, but I would say similar. They are both bright. The GEM is a modeled piano and has this "natural" sustain thing going on, some days I loved it, other days I wasn't sure, it actually wasn't that natural sounding at all. I never used the GEM at a gig however. All in all, I would favor the Yamaha piano sound if I had to chose one over the other, its just more dependable IMHO.

Archived