Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lightweight 2-board combinations

AnotherScott

This is actually a reply to Jeff D's inquiry in the "just ordered a Nord Stage 2" thread, but I thought it would be more helpful to post as a new topic rather than hijack that one. And then I expanded it a bit...

Which weighted board are you using that is under 37 Lbs? I have the Yamaha P120, and I believe it weighs 40 Lbs.

The weighted 88s I've gigged with over the past year or so have been:

Casio PX-3 at 23.8 lbs

Yamaha MOX8 at 32.6 pounds

older Casio PX-310 at 26.2 lbs

There are numerous other possibilities... in current models, there are the Korg SP-170 (26.7 lbs), Yamaha P95 (26.5 lbs), Numa Piano (25 lbs), and if you can manage with 73 keys, Nord Electro 3 HP (24.3 lbs). If you look at used models as well, then there are still more possibilities.

For organ playing and such, my favorite lightweight boards to put above such an 88 would include

Yamaha MOX6 (15.4 lbs)

Nord Electro 3 or Stage 2 (15.3 to 21 lbs)

Korg M50-61 or -73 (14.9 to 17.6 lbs)

Yamaha also makes the even lighter MM6 (11 lbs) and Korg makes the lighter PS60 (10.14 lbs), though I prefer the models listed above.

And if you're trying to travel super-light, I actually find the Korg Microstation a very playable and fun 2nd-board to toss over an 88, despite its minikeys. And it's under 6 lbs! I'd certainly much rather play organ on that than on a weighted board.

Other possibilities that I haven't played personally include

Roland Juno Di and Gi

Hammond SK1

For maximum portability, you could mate a PX-3 or a NE3HP with a Microstation... that's a ton of capability in under 30 pounds total, by picking the lightest boards. For maximum capability in a pretty lightweight combo, the MOX8 combined with the NS2 would be pretty killer, but that's 53.6 lbs, having chosen the heaviest options here in both the weighted and unweighted categories. But there are lots of combinations in between as well, which will almost always end up in the 30s and 40s.

It's also worth remembering that MIDI will almost always allow you to easily trigger sounds from each board from the other's action. So a Casio PX-3 combined with a MOX or a Nord 2nd-tier board still gives you the ability to play the better Nord or Yamaha pianos from the weighted action. Or any of the Yamaha or Korg unweighted boards over the NE3HP will still allow you to play Nord's organs from the unweighted action.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may pikup the MOX8 as a lightweight board..to me, after trying both it and the Kurtz sp4-8 endless hours. I do like the K, still, the conclusion on the mox is its like using a p95 w/an xs rack attached..and costs about the same if u were 2 buy both of those.

Thing that worries me about the mox is the way the keybed is put together, and the fact its done so in China..wondering if its going to stand up. But it is 32 lbs n that is a good weight. However, a board does no one any good sitting in a repair shop.

As far as lite, if I have to use 2 boards, which I dont very often, Id use the mox n an m50 73. Im just having a hard time pulling the trigger on the Mox. N I need a board soon.

Thing that worries me about the mox is the way the keybed is put together, and the fact its done so in China..wondering if its going to stand up.

I feel the same way about the new "Chinese" keyboards we've been seeing (since the Korg X50 came out several years ago). The lightweight factor is great, but I'm not excited about gigging with any of them... including the ones Another Scott mentioned above: MM6, PS60 and the Microstation. The build quality just isn't there.

The wall wart situation is annoying as well, especially with loose connections. I played with a MicroX awhile ago, and the plug in the back looked like it would easily break off with just a bit of pressure.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Currently loving my SP4-7 on the bottom for piano and synth sounds with NE2 73 on the top. Would prefer an E3, but for now this works great together. I happen to love the keybed on the Kurz; I know others don't, but for me it's almost perfect. They are both the same size (I have 2 Nord bags), and at about 42 pounds total or so plus an Invisible stand, super fast load in and out.

I know these are both light touch, but I use a MM6 on top of my Electro 3/73. I get the organ sounds and piano-ish sounds on the E3, and while I know the MM6 is a low-end model, it has enough sounds to get me by ok.

The total weight of these 2 are about 26 pounds.

Use them with a K10 and I find this to be a decent, lightweight combination.

I am probably not as sophisticated as many of you guys, but, in spite of being raised on a piano, I am not concerned with not having a weighted action. Might be a blessing? :)

Paul

Id use the mox n an m50 73.

I keep playing with different variations myself, it's always a trade-off. What's great about the M50-73 as a second-tier board is that I do a lot of left hand bass, and the 73 keys lets me do left hand bass there without cutting deep into my 88 piano or into a 61 above. Since the Nord Stage 2 73 has no low E and the MOX doesn't come in a 7x size, Korg has a unique advantage here. (Yeah, I did forget about the Juno Stage. I think the M50 easily outclasses it, though, and is pounds lighter besides.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Meh.

Can't do much with 25 keys.

Bass. Plus, the combination gives you five octaves. :thu:

Yeah, but none of my keyboards have room to lay a small synth/controller on top, so that means having to bring another stand. So... in that case, might as well set up another 49 or 61-key synth.

(I'd never be caught using that combo live.)

:laugh:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Ideally, a Vintage Vibe 64 on bottom (53 lbs) with either a Hammond SK1 or a Nord Stage2 Compact on top (add OB drawbars once the OB side plate mod comes out).

Ooops - that not really light weight is it?

I suppose one could substitute a Korg SV1 for the VV64 but I do like to stack directly and get rid of those pesky tier devices.

Failing that, a Nord Stage2-76 (37 lbs) on top of a Numa organ (?~22 lbs) (remembering that I like to stack, at least partially).

Either way, I can't do it under 59 lbs.

Plan C - Nord C1/C2 under Korg Microstation (station sits on a homemade tier resting in the C1/C2 music stand pegs). But wait there's no weighted action in that rig... I imagine that is a criteria :-(

one Hammond SK2? - does that qualify as "2 boards"

OT- have they fixed the Numa's yet?

I've just bought the Kurz SP4-7 as well. First impressions are that it seems a good compromise 76 keys/Sounds/Weight for a fraction of the price of a Nord or Hammond. It has an easy octave shift so I don't think I'll miss the extra keys too much. Nice solid metal body compared to most yamahas. Nicer keys and more compact than the Roland Juno stage. Less sounds though probably enough still with the version 2 free download. I am taken by the slightly darker grand pianos and the strings. Still making my mind up about some of the ep's. I haven't found the organ sounds capable of the same warmness I get on my Viscount DB3 drawbar organ yet. The 'timbre' control seems intriguing but not as easy to use as drawbars. I might look at using the Kurz and Viscount together but I bought the Kurz in order to cut down on weight.

Instruments: Kawai MP7, Viscount DB3 Drawbar organ, Roland pedals, Ventilator, Akai EWI, lots of trombones, bass trumpet, tuba, saxophones.

As mentioned in other threads, the new V2 sounds for the SP4's are pretty darn good. Specifically, the Rhodes and Wurly's are great I find, especially in a band situation. I wish they would make an editor for it, which would make it amazing. Probably not in the wings, but a guy can wish....

I personally like having 2 boards, but I also like to have some overlap between the Kurz and the E2, which of course I have. I could do the gig with only the Kurz if I had to, and with some songs moved out the E2 (lousy acoustic piano and all) by itself as well. If I had the E3 it could be done for sure. But together it's a really flexible, simple and great sounding rig for my needs, as well as being about as light as possible. I can literally set up and tear down in about 5 minutes.

Currently loving my SP4-7 on the bottom for piano and synth sounds with NE2 73 on the top. Would prefer an E3, but for now this works great together. I happen to love the keybed on the Kurz; I know others don't, but for me it's almost perfect. They are both the same size (I have 2 Nord bags), and at about 42 pounds total or so plus an Invisible stand, super fast load in and out.

+1 here, except I use an OnStage Z which is a PITA

Not sure what's next because I constantly change from upgrading to an NE3HP (controlling its organ from the NE2); dumping the whole setup in favour of a Hammond SK2; or hanging on for my dream board: a Nord C2/NE3HP two manual hybrid.

Here for the gear.

Not a problem - but with the 2nd tiers, knob adjustments, time it takes to fully set up - and then fully dismantle - for compact loading, the non-symmetric shape when folded down doesn't stack or dolly well, and the overall weight of the thing... yes, it is a hassle.

Here for the gear.

I like mine but its only for my SP4-7. Adding a second tier I could see being a hassle. I like that mine fits in the bag, but I wonder if a second tier would even fit in there too.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Not a problem - but with the 2nd tiers, knob adjustments, time it takes to fully set up - and then fully dismantle - for compact loading, the non-symmetric shape when folded down doesn't stack or dolly well, and the overall weight of the thing... yes, it is a hassle.

Look at the K&M 18880 with either the 18881 or 18882 extra tier. Collapses/reassembles in seconds, moves in one piece, weighs about 8 lbs.

+1, for sure. Dig the way they look, however.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Scott's correct - I have both the OnStage 2 tier Z and the 18880/18881 K&M. The OnStage hasn't been out of the bag since I got the K&M.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Casio PX3 and Hammond SK1 - these two together weigh less than either of the two boards I was carrying previously - a Yamaha P120 and a Hammond XK3. I need a more lightweight stand now as my current Quiklok (QL642?) is way overkill.

As to sounds, I'm currently using the PX3 for piano, wurlitzer and clav and the SK1 for organ, but as soon as I get my cable to run the organ out separately in my Pro3X I'll start using the other SK1 sounds too. For example the SK1 electric grand sound seems to cut through a wall of guitars just the way the original did.

Truly we live in a golden age for keyboardists!

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

Casio PX3 and Hammond SK1 - these two together weigh less than either of the two boards I was carrying previously - a Yamaha P120 and a Hammond XK3. I need a more lightweight stand now as my current Quiklok (QL642?) is way overkill.

As to sounds, I'm currently using the PX3 for piano, wurlitzer and clav and the SK1 for organ, but as soon as I get my cable to run the organ out separately in my Pro3X I'll start using the other SK1 sounds too. For example the SK1 electric grand sound seems to cut through a wall of guitars just the way the original did.

Truly we live in a golden age for keyboardists!

John,

How do the acoustic piano sounds on the Casio compare to the Hammond? I'm leaning towards this setup in the future. Are the acoustic string patches on the Casio decent? I'm in need of a lighter weight hammer-action board to replace my Alesis QS8 which is a beast. Thanks!

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

Casio PX3 and Hammond SK1 - these two together weigh less than either of the two boards I was carrying ...

John,

How do the acoustic piano sounds on the Casio compare to the Hammond? I'm leaning towards this setup in the future. Are the acoustic string patches on the Casio decent? I'm in need of a lighter weight hammer-action board to replace my Alesis QS8 which is a beast. Thanks!

I prefer the Hammond piano to the Casio - it has a fuller sound in the lower mid area, and the notes decay more naturally, whereas I find the Casio lower notes end just a little prematurely. Having said that the Casio pianos work really well for me live. I've only tried the Hammond piano once on a gig and it was OK. I've not tried it again as the inbuilt Leslie does not work for me live, in mono at least, so I'm waiting on a cable to split the organ out (or try stereo ... again).

As to the string sounds, I haven't done much with either instrument - hardly ever seem to do gigs these days where I need strings. The Hammond has some good strings which would be my first choice as the Casio is severely hampered by not having a convenient way to apply a volume pedal to the strings while keeping the piano constant. Same would apply for me for other sounds - eg brass - where I'd want control of volume.

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

The PX-3 does have some nice sounding strings (and my understanding is that there are no strings in the Hammond except "synth" strings)... but you're right that there's no convenient way to use a volume pedal to do things like bring the strings in and out under the piano. Since you work in mono anyway, the simplest thing might be to create a registration with the piano panned left and the strings panned right, and put a volume pedal on the right output.

The PX-3 does have some nice sounding strings (and my understanding is that there are no strings in the Hammond except "synth" strings)... but you're right that there's no convenient way to use a volume pedal to do things like bring the strings in and out under the piano. Since you work in mono anyway, the simplest thing might be to create a registration with the piano panned left and the strings panned right, and put a volume pedal on the right output.

Just went and fired up the PX3 and you are right about the quality and variety of the strings. In my case I'd probably still want to play them off the SK1 via midi and use its expression pedal - I haven't owned a straight volume pedal in ages. Having said that, in my slowly-developing original music project I plan to use lots of sounds other than straight organ/piano, and you've definitely got me thinking about making more use of the PX3 as a sound module rather than just as a keyboard.

Archived