Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Centerfold synth lick in pre-chorus section

c4racer

I am trying to get something close to the synth sound in the middle of Centerfold - the lick under the pre-chorus:

"Years go by I'm lookin' through a girly magazine

And there's myhomeroom angel on the pages in-between"

It's the Em / G/ Am / D part

Sounds like an analog synth most likely, but is there any shortcuts to building something close using a Yamaha S90ES? I can't even find a path that is even remotely close to start from.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think in the original recording theres harmonica, sax, and synth playing it, so if you're on a workstation or something with all those sounds, you could layer them together, otherwise, I'd probably just go with a simple sawtooth wave with the filter mostly open and it would cut through pretty well.

EDIT: oh yeah, organ too

EDIT2: just realized the part you're talking about... Sounds like maybe sawtooth or squarewave, but with two of them tuned to octaves

My band has started playing this tune. I can't switch sounds on the fly using my Kurz PC2R module from KB3 mode to any internal sounds so I just play that part using a KB3 organ patch like the rest of the song. I don't really like the tune that much, good enough for me!

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

There was another thread about this song, so I asked Seth about it, as I play with him in a dual keyboard situation from time to time. I posted his response verbatim if you want to search for it, but it was mostly a Yamaha CS80.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

I have not heard the tune recently, but I know the part you're referencing. I think it sounds like a layer of synth doing a sine wave type whistle sound along with some piercing organ. I'd probably build a layer of sine wave lead synth probably doubled with one an octave higher, blasting Vox organ and some Hammond, probably just 008000006 or something like that.

There was another thread about this song, so I asked Seth about it, as I play with him in a dual keyboard situation from time to time. I posted his response verbatim if you want to search for it, but it was mostly a Yamaha CS80.

For the searching impaired, clonk here. :thu:

That thread only deals with the intro - I have a pretty good layer of 2 organs, sax and synth for that.

I have not heard the tune recently, but I know the part you're referencing. I think it sounds like a layer of synth doing a sine wave type whistle sound along with some piercing organ. I'd probably build a layer of sine wave lead synth probably doubled with one an octave higher, blasting Vox organ and some Hammond, probably just 008000006 or something like that.

Ya - it's the wave whisle I'm missing. I will look again for a sine wave lead and see if I can get closer to that sound. I have an organ mixed in and even added a synth string which seems to help. Still not quite right, although it's probably good enough already for my needs. I will keep playing with it.

Amongst the jiggly distractions(!) there are a few flashes of what looks like a prophet-v in this video [video:youtube]
. Anyway its a good excuse to scrutinise the video again. Check out the guitarists expression when the girls are doing cartwheels at the end. Oh yeah.....
"Just a tad more attack on the filter, Grandad!"

That thread only deals with the intro - I have a pretty good layer of 2 organs, sax and synth for that.

I wasn't suggesting it answered your question; if you look, you'll see I merely provided the link that BeeThree discussed (but didn't link), and even went so far as to quote just that statement. :thu:

I wasn't suggesting it answered your question; if you look, you'll see I merely provided the link that BeeThree discussed (but didn't link), and even went so far as to quote just that statement. :thu:

Just let it be c4racer, if sven isnt using a search function online somewhere, he'd be off making sure he's not stepping on lines on the sidewalk somewhere.

:wave:

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

I am no synth programming expert. That being said, I've gotten very, very close to that sound for that song on my Triton Extreme.

I basically took a Farfisa organ sounding patch and modified it, adding a little sawtooth lead synth sound, detuned about 6 cents sharp.

If your not familiar with the Farfisa, think Question Mark and the Mysterians' "96 Tears." That's where I started when trying to dial in the sound for Centerfold. I cut a lot of the low end out of the organ sound, then added the synth to it as explained above.

It worked for me.

David

Gig Rig:Roland Fantom 08 | Roland Jupiter 80

Archived