Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

just ordered a Nord Stage 2

dazzjazz

Hi,

After a year of hand-wringing and GASing I've finally made a decision I'm happy with and ordered a NS2. My gigs are changing and instead of them being either and all piano gig or all-organ gig, I'm doing gigs now that are somewhere in between.

I need one board to basically do it all and the NS2 was the best fit. I did try the Kronos (which is cheaper!) and didn't like the piano action much or wish to revisit the CX3 engine as I play a lot of organ. I gave the CP5 a chance to reveal it's UI but no dice, plus it's very heavy.

The Nord seemed to have the best finger to sound connection overall and as I get a break on the price as an endorsee, it was a no-brainer (in the end)

Would like to hear from othe NS2 owners with any tips you might have.

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It sounds like you got the weighted action, yes? I would agree that the NS2 beats the Kronos in the feel of the weighted action. I'd still want to toss up a second unweighted board--even just a controller--for playing organ. But as weighted actions go, Nord's is better than many others for organ playing.

The CP5 probably wouldn't have worked for you anyway simply based on your organ needs. I think the only other piano-weighted boards that have any kind of real drawbar organ functionality, besides the two you looked at, would be the Kurzweil PC3K8 and Roland RD-700NX. (edit: also the Nord Electro 3HP, if 73 keys are enough and you don't need to play piano and organ at the same time.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Curious as to why you just wouldn't just use the CP33 and the C1 on a gig (which gives you the piano/organ combo) instead.

i don't want to lug 2 boards, plus a K10 and MS pro 145.

yep, I'm a lazy bugger! Plus i really need better rhodes and clav.

Darren

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Curious as to why you just wouldn't just use the CP33 and the C1 on a gig (which gives you the piano/organ combo) instead.

i don't want to lug 2 boards, plus a K10 and MS pro 145.

yep, I'm a lazy bugger! Plus i really need better rhodes and clav.

The C1 is a somewhat cumbersome additional board to lug... but maybe an unweighted Nord Stage 2-73--or even a 15 lb Nord Electro 3--above your CP33 could give you everything you need, including actions optimized for each use, at still a reasonable amount of schleppage. (The CP33 could still trigger the Nord sounds for which you would prefer a weighted action.)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Congrats!

I'm very satisfied with my NS2-76 for my mostly piano gigs. But I do miss the waterfall action of my NC1 when the focus turns to organ. But that's just because of the weighted action organ playing issue, and nothing against the NS2.

I'm also very pleased with having added ocean beach drawbars although the NS76 does not have enough empty real estate to place them without a mod. (I made a wooden extension which sits in the stand pegs - OB is designing a metal plate-mod to extend the surface but not yet out I think?)

At this point for mostly organ opportunities I'm using the C1 to trigger piano sounds on a Vmachine/IPAD but can't say I'm overjoyed with playing pianos that way. An SK2 has considerable appeal in that respect but I'm thinking by then the pianos available by IPAD will have improved...

I had considered that but the days when I lug 2 boards are called "the 1980s" !!

Understand this completely. I was carrying around two keyboards weighing 110 pounds. I am now down to one keyboard weighing 37 pounds. Was also carrying around my MS LowPro/Pro3T weighing 82 pounds and now just use a Vent weighing 2 pounds. So I've shaved over 150 pounds from my rig and have upgraded the sound. My back couldn't be happier! Also I was the last one packing up after every gig. Not anymore .....

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Understand this completely. I was carrying around two keyboards weighing 110 pounds. I am now down to one keyboard weighing 37 pounds.

Yeah, I'm big on keeping weight down... but I enjoy the gig more when I have appropriate actions for piano and organ. Fortunately, there are plenty of "pairs" of weighted and unweighted keyboards you can buy that will still keep your total combined weight in the roughly 40 to 50 lb range. And with neither board as heavy as that 37 lbs, I think it's actually an easier haul, too.

I can relate. I was carrying around 2 synth controllers (Ensonique sq1 with voce v3 plus drawbar controller for the upper manual, a korg m1 (sometime by itself, or with a seperate V5+, or an Oberheim ob3 squared for the 2nd manual, plus a Motion sound pro-3x for the top manual, plus a Voce spin II as a leslie sim for the lower manual to keep the balance between the 2 manuals somewhat even, a midi pedalboard running via a Midi Solutions Quadra merge into the lower manual module, a crybaby pedal for the lower manual alone, u to TWO Ernie ball pedal,plus a Roland kc-350 & a roland kcw1 subwoofer. My busiest set up had ELEVEN power cords alone,4 or 5 of them being of the wall-wart species) with easily that many trs chords , all of it going into 3 or 4 power strips. I would experience all manner of 'brown-outs', both at home, or at gigs. I had 5 stomp boxes, all crammed together into the bass pedals; i would get up to change the levels on the amps, & would invariably trip on ONE of the several clusters of wires, & one or more of my modules would FRY every 2 weeks. I would go to Santa Rosa (California) to CRUCIAL AUDIO, for something to be repaired. they told me that I was their most frequent customer. finally i got seriously burned out with this madness,started selling everythnig on Ebay, bought a Nord c2 thru a speakeasy , gave up modules for lent. I feel like worked my way into Rivendell after a grisly,tortuous pilgrimage.
robert w nuckels

Yeah, I'm big on keeping weight down... but I enjoy the gig more when I have appropriate actions for piano and organ.

That is what's nice about the Kurzweil PC3; the semi-weighted keyboard is ideal for both piano and organ thereby letting me get away with one keyboard. I also split the keyboard in organ mode with the sliders independently controlling the upper/lower halves of the keyboard affording me the luxury of two organ zones with the sliders controlling either zone with a switch.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

That is what's nice about the Kurzweil PC3; the semi-weighted keyboard is ideal for both piano and organ

I think "ideal" may be a stretch, ;-) But yeah, I know, there are plenty of people for whom the PC3 semi-weighted action works nicely. Not for me, though.

Yeah, I'm big on keeping weight down... but I enjoy the gig more when I have appropriate actions for piano and organ. Fortunately, there are plenty of "pairs" of weighted and unweighted keyboards you can buy that will still keep your total combined weight in the roughly 40 to 50 lb range. And with neither board as heavy as that 37 lbs, I think it's actually an easier haul, too.

Which weighted board are you using that is under 37 Lbs? I have the Yamaha P120, and I believe it weighs 40 Lbs.

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

I had considered that but the days when I lug 2 boards are called "the 1980s" !!

Too funny!

Congratulations on your purchase. I'm sure you will enjoy it!

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Which weighted board are you using that is under 37 Lbs? I have the Yamaha P120, and I believe it weighs 40 Lbs.

I replied and expanded on this in a new topic, "Lightweight 2-board combinations"

Archived