Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Earthquakes

Alchemist

She was in Virginia, and my buddy was in Maryland.

Just curious what city, because I called a friend in Virginia Beach and they didn't see much damage at all.

Her i don't know i didn't ask my brother-in-law but my buddy was in Ocean city.

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was getting my teeth cleaned, so everything was feeling kinda wacky. :idk:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I thought it was the garbage truck :)

It was a 2.7 in Hartford and water sloshed around a little in the coolers. One window in one state building fell out thus requiring the inch-of-snow, sky-is-falling emergency evacuation procedures for all state employees.

The press will talk about it all week.

I just heard that because of the geological age of the US east coast, the rock beds are harder than the west coast - so that the rare earthquakes we have in the east can shake and feel 10 times stronger than the same size earthquake in the west. I believe it.

That is a giant load of crap. :D

I just heard that because of the geological age of the US east coast, the rock beds are harder than the west coast - so that the rare earthquakes we have in the east can shake and feel 10 times stronger than the same size earthquake in the west. I believe it.

Haha It was actually the government testing their new Haarp technology weapons :rolleyes:

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

I was on the 5th floor of a building in Arlington, VA, and it was a surreal feeling, 2 waves, probably 15-20 seconds or so. Everyone evacuated, and the stairways had pretty significant cracks in them. My friends that were on the 10th floor reported falling plaster etc. They let us back in the building after 45 minutes or so to pick up our stuff, then sent us home.
"You'll never be as good as you could have been, but you can always be better than you are." - MoKen

I was in Short Pump, which is northwest Richmond, working at a retail warehouse. I was standing outside the warehouse door at the time and went out onto the sidewalk. Lots of shaking and rumbling even outside on the pavement. People pouring out of the mall into the parking lot, waiting around for aftershocks etc. Looking through the door into the warehouse our huge shelves were swaying back and forth. I've never seen them move an inch until today. Things on the second floor of the warehouse fell around a bit but no real damage. Did not see any damage to buildings as I drove home as most of Short Pump is new construction and very solid. My home in Richmond City didn't even have pictures askew when I got here.

It's true. Aren't you investing in Arizona Bay Real Estate?

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEeAn6_QJo

It seems to be a misunderstanding of the following statement:

Originally posted at the U.S. Geological Survey site:

Earthquakes in the central and eastern U.S., although less frequent than in the western U.S., are typically felt over a much broader region. East of the Rockies, an earthquake can be felt over an area as much as ten times larger than a similar magnitude earthquake on the west coast.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

It's true. Aren't you investing in Arizona Bay Real Estate?

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCEeAn6_QJo

Learn to swim!

A seismologist on CNN described it in detail today. That's exactly what he said. I'd never heard it before.

The Washington Times reported the Washington Monument was tilting from Capitol police. Now they've retracted it, so that one was a load of crap. Link: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/watercooler/2011/aug/23/picket-fnc-reports-washington-monument-may-be-tilt/

Here's another source referring to the same thing:

East Coast earthquakes, such as the one that struck Charleston, South Carolina, in 1886 are felt over a much larger area than earthquakes occurring on the West Coast, because the eastern half of the country is mainly composed of older rock that has not been fractured and cracked by frequent earthquake activity in the recent geologic past. Rock that is highly fractured and crushed absorbs more seismic energy than rock that is less fractured.

LINK: http://pubs.usgs.gov/gip/dynamic/tectonics.html

posted at the U.S. Geological Survey site:

Earthquakes in the central and eastern U.S., although less frequent than in the western U.S., are typically felt over a much broader region. East of the Rockies, an earthquake can be felt over an area as much as ten times larger than a similar magnitude earthquake on the west coast.

And thanks for that distinction, Geoff. The guy on CNN may or may not have been accurate in his description, but it seems to make some sense that an earthquake felt over 10x the area would also be a stronger feeling quake. The CNN guy also said the shaking from harder, granite based rock in tectonic plates (as found in the east coast) is up to 10x greater than softer rock.

All I know and have to say is the little 5.9 near Richmond today was felt as far west as Detroit, from Atlanta to Toronto... and the Food Lion where I was shopping (along with 25 other FL stores in the state) have all been closed for structural damage.

Note that every single day, we have dozens of quakes here. Most are too small to be felt, and others are noticed but cause no damage. I know that the quake today was probably scary for all of you. Most folks I heard from said it was their first quake. But familiarity on quake topics is drilled into you when you grow up here. In any case, I can promise you 100% that equally-measured East Coast quakes are not "felt 10x as strong" as the West Coast equivalents. :D

Here's today's quake map, by the way. Your 5.9 versus our hundred little guys. :)

http://slcoyote.com/images/quakes_today_082311.jpg

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/on-air/as-seen-on/Earthquakes__East_Coast_vs__West_Coast_Los_Angeles-128269668.html

Also seems like a reasonable explanation:

In the east coast, earthquakes are not nearly as common (that's a good thing!) and usually are smaller. However, the crust in the eastern United States is markedly more efficient at propagating seismic waves than in the western United States (it's older and colder). This means that for the same magnitude earthquake, the one in the eastern U.S. will be felt much more widely than one in California.

For example, a magnitude 5 in San Jose, CA would be moderately felt in San Francisco (about ..., 45 miles away) with almost no major damage to structures. If you were in an office building sitting down, you'd probably feel a bit of swaying, however if you were walking about, you may not even feel it. In contrast, a magnitude 5 in the east coast could be felt for several hundred miles.

In addition to efficient wave propagation, the earthquakes in the east coast tend to radiate much more energy at higher frequencies than those in the west coast (we call this "stress-drop" in earthquake parlance). What this means for those in the east coast is that smaller structures (i.e., homes and small buildings) could experience about a factor of 5 more shaking.

The final distinction between the two coasts is of course building practice and codes. In the west coast, all modern structures are designed to withstand strong lateral shaking and are flexible (to help dissipate the wave energy) and for older structures they are often retrofitted. East coast homes, especially the older ones, are usually stiffer and could likely be made of masonry which will not fare well during an earthquake, even if the earthquake is not that large.

http://www.openhazards.com/blogs/kmayeda/east-coast-vs-west-coast-earthquakes-good-and-bad

So that link supports the idea that an East Coast quake would feel 2x stronger.

Whatever, I really don't care... my apathy on this little issue is seismic. :) Of course, you declared my post a "giant load of crap", with no link from you to prove your point. Feel free to, if you can, to clear this up. I'm getting sleepy, and goodnight. ;)

I'd say that my friends on the East Coast have something more important to worry about.

Forget the earthquake and focus on Hurricane Irene

The latest (12Z) run of the European model, which probably is the best in the world right now, paints a fairly serious scenario showing a very strong hurricane just to the south of New Jersey on Sunday morning.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived