Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Burlington Discover Jazz Festival

frogmonkey

My little city has a pretty good jazz festival every summer.

Burlington Discover Jazz Festival

In addition to the main shows, there are uncountable gigs at small venues, outdoor stages, and bars/restaurants that don't usually have live music.

I told myself that I would have two gigs every day this year's festival. I fell short of that, but I do have 4 days this week with 2 gigs! :) Afterwards, it's fun to walk around town and see who else is playing. There are crowds and crowds of people out and about.

I haven't immersed myself in the festival for a few years, because I was playing with a touring band until recently, and I was always booked with other gigs. This is so much fun! Next year I'm going to go crazy booking my quartet- I didn't book a single gig as a leader this year- and have wall to wall gigs!

Do you have anything like this in your town?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to college at UVM, so I'm well familiar with jazz fest. It was always a highlight of the year, both from a gigging and spectator standpoint.

Where I am now (Louisville, KY), the University of Louisville has an event called Jazz Week, but it is nowhere near the size and scope of what Burlington has.

Wow, that's cool. As far as I know Houston as a few shorter jazz festivals that come up here and there throughout the year. I'm only now getting to know any of those. I mentioned one back in January that my piano teacher organized, Trinity Jazz Fest.

We do have some broader based festivals like iFest (B3-er can tell you about that one), Free Press Summer Fest, and others.

If I were you frogmonkey, I wouldn't be sure if I wanted to book more gigs or check out what else is going on. It's a nice choice to have though. Have fun!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Easily New England's finest Jazz Festival for length and breadth topped only by the 3-day Newport RI that brings in more big guns but is big Festival format.

There are a bunch of 3-dayers around New England. You can spend the whole Summer going from Jazz Fest to Jazz Fest or throw in a Bluegrass or Blues Fest or folkfest in the area. Not too many local bars join in the festivities like they used to with local jazz or blues acts.

On the whole Jazz seems to be faring better than Reggae, Bluegrass, and Blues all together. More rock fests are failing or scaling back. The niche for live music just seems to keep getting smaller--more varied and eclectic maybe but smaller. Bands that would be lucky to score a bar gig during a festival 15 years ago are now on the festival bills. Etc.

I tried getting organissimo booked on that festival for 10 years. Never happened.

Man, I would love to see your band in Burlington! I've had a real hard time booking with the festival organizers over the years- partly because they finish booking by February and I'm always late- but also because they save the big gigs for big names. Lately I've had more luck because I'm playing as a sideman, but the kind of money I'm getting wouldn't finance travel from Michigan.

Easily New England's finest Jazz Festival for length and breadth topped only by the 3-day Newport RI that brings in more big guns but is big Festival format.

I hadn't thought of it like that, but I guess you're right. I used to be almost disdainful of it, like "whatever... every week is jazz festival for me" ;)

If I were you frogmonkey, I wouldn't be sure if I wanted to book more gigs or check out what else is going on. It's a nice choice to have though. Have fun!

Right? :) After doing double duty today (and turning down a gig) I heard some stuff that knocked my socks off.

Those are some pretty good-looking festivals, Joe. Free Press has some freaky stuff!

I went to college at UVM, so I'm well familiar with jazz fest. It was always a highlight of the year, both from a gigging and spectator standpoint.

Cool, man! There is really good energy in town right now.

Do you have anything like this in your town?

See www.Rochesterjazz.com now 10 years old.

Starting this Friday for 9 days: Elvis Costello, Chris Botti, kd lang, Natalie Cole, Bela Fleck, Jim Hall, Trombone Shorty, Bill Charlap, Fab Faux, Bill Frissell, Matt Wilson, Gary Versace, Cedar Walton, Curtis Stigers, Grace Kelly, Bonerama, Regina Carter, Kenny Baron, more.

More content & Shameless plug:

http://www.13wham.com/content/jazzlounge/default.aspx

Lots of music festivals in Detroit annually. One, Movement Electronic Festival is truly an international event.

Every Labor Day weekend we have the Detroit Jazz Festival.

I always attend, but have mixed feelings about the trend to freeze out local jazzers. It really pisses me off that some of the best jazzers out there live in Metro-Detroit, like organissimo (who have performed there several times in previous years), are not included.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

frogmonkey, where are you playing this week? Anything tomorrow night (Monday) or Wednesday or Friday? Those are my "off" evenings this week where I have a chance to go see something.

Actually, I'm off Monday and Wed, too.

Friday at 5:00 at Nectars, I'm playing a free-improv "electronic freek out" with (I think) 3 other players. I have no idea what to expect, other than I know there's a good bass player.

Tuesday is a big day. My 12-piece salsa band, Afinque, has its Burlington debut at Nectars at 10:30. I've also got a noon hit at Leunigs, backing up a super mellow (sleepy) songwriter.

Saturday is a good day too. I'm doing Jazz Lab at the Firehouse in the afternoon, and playing with Barika at Nectars that night. The Barika show is going to be big. :)

The Edmonton International Jazz Festival is coming up soon. It's a mid-sized festival with a few big names and lots of smaller club/restaurant/café shows. I'm really pissed, I've got a gig the same night as Robert Glasper.

They also run a week-long workshop for university/college and sometimes high school students. Festival artists give masterclasses, students get to sit in for the big names' soundchecks, receive advice on the music business, and, of course, play a whole lot. It culminates in a show at the Yardbird Suite, Edmonton's premier jazz club. I'm auditioning this year, crossing my fingers!

Your gigs sound really cool, FM! Keep it up!

Holy Sh*t I just played to a full house, with a line out the door waiting in the pouring rain... and Roy Hargrove sat in for two tunes! Damn that guy is good, and he had a mohawk and a tux. :)

I'm really appreciating festivals like this, that keep the flame burning.

Frogmonkey, glad to hear the gig rocked. I grew up in Burlington, VT and got to see the festival develop over the years into the institution that it is today.

I get back there whenever I can--really proud of how supportive of live music the scene is there. I'll have to come catch you at Nectar's or wherever next time I'm in town!

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

I grew up in Burlington, VT...

Really? Haha! We're everywhere! :D

Yes, please look me up next time you're around!

BTW you've probably noticed, but Nectar's has become a respectable music venue, they've opened a club in Martha's Vinyard, and they're booking other events as well. Nectar isn't involved anymore, but the current owners are very pro-music. The "talent buyer"/manager is an excellent bass player and a good guy. I really like that place. The food has gotten better too. ;)

Archived