Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog Fest 2011

MAJUSCULE

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Full schedule is up, along with all the workshops! K-K-K-KLONK!!!

:love: :love: :love:

I could possibly see Dan Deacon, SBTRKT, Crystal Castles, Amon Tobin, The Flaming Lips, St. Vincent, Battles and Brandt, Brauer, Frick all in one night! Ok, I probably won't see them all, but I am pleased as punch right now. :)

Honestly, REALLY awesome fest/lineup! Makes me jealous of all the fun you'll be having in Asheville, NC. :thu:

Enjoy man! And share stories/pictures, or it didn't happen (obviously). :D

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

I'd definitely like to go to this. When are the dates and has anyone here been to the Moogfest before? Is the venue good?
Hammond SK2, Yamaha TX81Z, Monster Cable Instrument and MIDI cables, Peavey KB4, Cadillac DeVille, Rolex President, 23" Admiral Color Television, Three Catahoulas

I believe there are still plenty of tickets left for the weekend or single days. If any of you guys wanted to join, I'd love to hook up! :thu:

Enjoy! Don't forget some Moog ale @ Asheville Brewing (assuming you are 21 or over?) and a visit to the Moog store (although not on Sunday or Monday, as I found out).

-John

Nope. I can drink here, but not down there. Too bad, but it's a fairly small setback. ;)

Its amazing the flaming lips continue to headline festivals all the time. I see them alot on palladia. They must still be big in uk or something.

Some great performers this year, and some that are not on list that played last year I wish played again.

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

• 2 weeks later...

Any first-hand reporting from the trenches? :cool:

Post a few pics of the partyin' for your analog-starved brothers (and sisters) here on KC, and I'll talk Mr. Forceman into buying us all a round. :thu:

Double-points for video. :idea::taz:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

KLONK - Checkout this guy's keyboard stand! I want a pair! :love:

KLONK

That be P Thugg from Chromeo. His stand looks like a major award. They are a funky @$$ group too.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Here are a bunch of pictures I took at MoogFest: MoogFest 2011 Pictures .

It was a great event. Not only the concerts, but the discussion panels and workshops that haven't received as much coverage (like Tara Busch's live film scoring performance). I didn't see everything (there's no way anyone could), but it was a great event overall.

It was a great event. Not only the concerts, but the discussion panels and workshops that haven't received as much coverage (like Tara Busch's live film scoring performance). I didn't see everything (there's no way anyone could), but it was a great event overall.

Thank you, John!

I really enjoyed seeing those. :thu:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Most definitely. That festival really has their act together. Since I my camera died right after taking a picture with Ken (ksoper), I don't have any pics at all of the festival. I was camping, so no power. That means I have to spell it all out for you guys!

Arrived in Asheville Thursday night. The town itself blew us away. After days of driving, seeing nothing but interstates and their exits, Asheville was refreshing, to say the least. Coolest friggin town. Very pedestrian friendly, great atmosphere, food and people and only a handful of chains in the downtown. A real local town.

Friday, attended the Handmade Synth & Pedal Salon as well as Control Voltage-Modular Connectivity with the Moog Engineers. Two great workshops, filled with great advice and anecdotes. The Handmade really made me want to build something. Don't know what yet, but something that bleeps and bloops. Control Voltage really helped clear up a lot of things behing synths in general and why Moog is what it is. I also learned that you could sweep a filter by opening a car door! :D The first show we saw was Austra, a new-wave band from Toronto who are in Edmonton next week. Very cool stuff, great vocals. The drummer. :blush: Oh dear. :love: Hot stuff! Super tight on the drums and sexy as f*ck. The one drunk idiot yelling made it quite clear, too. From the Orange Peel, we went to the Animoog Playground, the only outdoor venue, to catch the end of Little Dragon and get good spots for Chromeo. It was a cold, rainy night and, when we got there, we realised Little Dragon was cancelled. So we killed time by doing this weird light meditation thing. Pas mal flyé, as we say. Then the crowd started gathering. We were right at the front, a bit on the right. That's where P-Thugg is, so I was fine. ;) Got quite scared a few times that they would cancel the set, as it looked like it was wet on stage and the rain was not abating. One tech even put a towel over his Voyager. But all ended being fine. Did I say fine? Much better than fine. With the funkiness they were putting out for house music and the cold weather, it was a dance party before they even started playing. Then they did, and it exploded. I don't think I've ever boogied so hard in my life. They played an amazing set, hitting pretty much all their best songs. Great stage presence, obviously. You can really see the effort they put into their show. So yeah, it was fantastic and had people chanting their name even as they were leaving the grounds. From there, we crossed over to the Civic Center for the end of Moby. Now that was spectacular. Only saw the last two songs, but it was pretty epic. Then we moved in a bit for TV on the Radio. Great stuff, but the arena sound didn't compliment them. But great stuff nonetheless. Left near the two-thirds of their set to go to Araabmuzik. Got there, saw the lineip around the block for the small venue, reluctantly called it a night.

Saturday, unfortunately slept in too much and missed the Sound Design workshop. Still caught most of Dan Deacon and Tara Busch's Moogerfooger Mayhem. Cool stuff, but very easy to get lost in. Deacon uses them as much in a modular context as effects pedals. After being split over whether to see YACHT or Dan Deacon, the festival decided for us by cancelling YACHT. :( So Dan Deacon it was. Man, when people call this guy an "absurd performance artist," it's only the tip of the iceberg. His music is pretty good, but it's about what he does with the crowd. At one point, he created a big circle within the crowd and designated two warriors of dance who would have a showdown. As their powers weakened, they started picking people to join them. By the time my friends and I got into it, there were about sixty people going absolutely wild in the middle with a few hundred watching them. From there it just degenerated into a writhing mass of bodies and happiness. Good times. :) After Dan Deacon, we headed back to the arena for SBTRKT. Pretty good show, but a tad disappointing. Not as minimalist of an approach as the studio stuff. Left halfway through to maybe go to Crystal Castles, but we got hungry. Crappy service made us miss what we could've seen of Adrian Belew. :(:mad: Amon Tobin's Isam was next in the arena. Talk about mind-blowing. At first, I was a little disappointed. I found it kind of tame and lacking continuity, but I was just lacking patience. Tobin is really a composer and kept a crescendo for the whole show. By the end, c'était la folie furieuse. Obviously, the visual aspect of the show was off the hook, too. A great combination of beauty and earth-shattering power in his set. Headed upstairs to the Thomas Wolfe Auditorium to catch the end of St Vincent afterwards. That chick is hardcore. She shreds and her band is exceptional too. Great stuff, I really wish I could've seen the whole set. Had great seats and kept them for Battles, which was next. Battles and Chromeo were two of the main reasons I wanted to come, so you can guess that I threw down for them too. I think that was the breaking point for my neck muscles. I woke sore the next day. Battles was amazing, though. Ian Williams often has one hand on the keys whilst flinging his guitar around for some serious hammer-ons. Dave Konopka is a looping/effects master. John Stanier. One of the best drummers I've ever seen. Great, great set and awesome encore. Swung by the Asheville Music Hall on the way home to hear Brandt, Brauer, Frick's last two songs. Cool stuff as well, looked like a great show.

Sunday, got to the Moog store and played around a bit. Unfortunately, they don't do factory tours during the festival, due to the volume of people. Ah well. Guess I'll have to go back. :laugh: Checked out the beautiful town some more. Saw Beats Antique at the Playground, since we were waiting for Childish Gambino. Man, what a discovery! Drummer, bari sax/clarinet going through effects and banjo/violin/percussion/samples/keys. On top of that, they have two burlesque/belly dancers. Really cool and ridiculously danceable. Great kind of oriental inflections with heavy hip-hop/dance leanings. Super cool. For the end of their set, they played out a ridiculous scene where they all put masks on, either as animals or as mexican wrestlers. Ten of their friends joined them as animals grooving on stage. After a quick game of bowling with a skull, the wrestlers started killing off the animals. Animals either died or took their masks off to reveal Jason-style hockey masks and kill more animals! It was crazy and really cool. Childish Gambino was up next. Tight-ass band. Tight-ass rhymes. Great show. He played two songs off his new record for the first times ever (Heartbeat and LES). Great set, although I could've done without the groupie in front of me holding up her sign everytime he was near us. :whistle: Anyway. Great show. The last concert of my Moogfest was Ghostland Observatory, once again in the arena. Epic laser show is an understatement. Really cool, weird kind of music. They come off as a bit of an unlikely duo, but it works. It was a great time.

So that was my Moogfest 2011. An amazing time. I thank Moog, Asheville, all the artists and everyone who was dancing for one of the funnest weekends ever. :thu: :thu: :thu:

• 2 weeks later...
Its amazing the flaming lips continue to headline festivals all the time. ...

They are still on my "want to see" list. I hear they put on an interesting show. I'm going to try going to Moogfest next year. Hope the lineup compares to what they had this year.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Archived