Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Learning Curve for new band...

metromike

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't see any sign that the bandleader bad at communication from this email. ... it doesn't require a response. There's no direct question, and no request for information.

I agree. It is very possible that someone would see no need to reply to that email. If you don't know the person's "email style," I wouldn't jump to any conclusion there.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Since this is a new experience for you I would do your best to learn what you can and not worry too much about what the band will do with you. No matter how it turns out you are learning a lot, which is a good thing. Do this for you not them! If it works out great! If not, move on with your new knowledge.

Keep in mind that they are comparing you to the last player, who was up to speed on all the songs. Given time you may exceed their expectations, but for now they are waiting on you to catch up. For now you are living in his shadow.

In the past couple years I have worked with 3 different established bands where I was replacing a key player and learning new material. One I was hired to play one gig because their key player couldnt play it. I had to learn 30 tunes in 3 weeks. The money I made was not worth the effort, but the time I spent learning the style of music they did was worth every second I spent. (The band approached me to join them afterwards but I had too many conflicting gigs lined up with another band.)

The current band Im in had a long time keyboard guy leave and so they expected me to be able to do exactly what he did. Hey, he did things that I either cant or wont but I also bring a lot stuff that he couldnt. I felt like I was in his shadow for a while, but not now.

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

I don't know. My guess (and its only a guess) would be no communication back (including some positive reinforcement stemming from the email sent by Mike) isn't a particularly good sign.

From my perspective, if I received that email from a band mate, it really suggests a response is necessary, even though a question wasn't directly posed.

I'd guess that one of four things is at play here with the band leader.

1. Your email just reinforced an opinion that you "may" not cutting the mustard, since the sending of that email suggest that you're questioning it yourself (and admitting some shortcomings, saying the bells & whistles will come later, you're looking for charts and you're ear isn't currently up to the task of figuring out parts on your own).

2. If #1 isn't the case, then some reinforcement that everything is ok and you're doing fine should have followed. Why hasn't it?

3. Doing nothing, suggests that they're "quietly waiting to see if things gel together" before providing any commentary. Not a particularly good thing either.

4. The "band leader" is a clueless jerk who doesn't recognize when one of his guys is kind of treading water and asking for some help, or at least feedback!

Mike, if you still haven't received a response, I'd pick up the phone or go over and see him and point blank ask him. At this point, you're guessing and perhaps everything is fine, perhaps it isn't. You deserve to know, before you go down the rabbit hole much further. Maybe you're in over your head, maybe not. It's up to him to let you know.

This a very good summary here. I don't think the problem has to do with how many songs, how fast you're learning, if you play well enough or whatever. It's a communication problem and maybe a bad band dealer.

From my point of view, I wouldn't risk spending weeks and hours of time learning songs with the possibility of being told "thanks, but we don't think it's going to work out."

Communication

I would think you'd get the vibe if they're happy or not with you. If not, pay more attention. But before you spend more time, you should approach the leader or the member you feel more comfortable with and ask "What do you think?" If he answers enthusiastically and positively, fine. If it's a lukewarm response, it's time to ask VERY specific questions: How do I sound? You think I'm learning them fast enough?. Ask so you can take appropriate action.

This reminds me of having a girlfriend break up with you because she's fed up about something she never told you bothered her. :-/

Leader

I have my doubts about the guy, since the email should have been answered, question made or not. If you're apologizing ahead of time without getting a complaint, the guy should have given you feedback and/or reassurance.

Another big problem I see is that you have painted it like they gave you a piece of paper with a list of songs to learn and left you alone. Is that true? I would expect them to give you the sheets or scores they had, instead of letting you search for them or create them on your own. Even if they know the songs from memory, they must have sheets somewhere. Also, if you're having difficulty figuring out songs from recordings the other people should offer to help. If they're doing none of this I'd be worried they're just using you while waiting for someone better to come along.

So, ask how you're doing, if they're happy, check if they have sheets, etc

Good Luck.

Iván Torres

San Juan, Puerto Rico

Kurzweil PC-88, Yamaha DX-7, Korg DW-8000, Roland U-220 Module. All mostly gathering dust :-(

This reminds me of having a girlfriend break up with you because she's fed up about something she never told you bothered her. :-/

...and then not give you a chance to fix the problem no matter how much you practically beg because a previous boyfriend said he'd change over and over and never did, so you must be doing the same thing, even though you didn't know she was thinking of breaking up and never promised to fix the problem before....

...whoops, never mind...sorry, return to your previously scheduled conversation.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

.....Keep in mind that they are comparing you to the last player, who was up to speed on all the songs. Given time you may exceed their expectations, but for now they are waiting on you to catch up. For now you are living in his shadow.......

metromike, I can see the process from the other side; the covers band I am in is trying to find someone to fill the shoes of our previous rhythm guitarist who moved away, and who was a great chord player and musician. We built our band around the wonderful way the old rhythm guitarist played, and these chords create colors and feelings that are at the heart of each song. The things the vocalists and lead guitar do are all built around this. In your new band, the others may be missing the old guy, and outside of missing him they might not be capable of explaining what they old guy did that they would like you to do.

I agree with the others above who wrote that silence is probably not a good thing, because that's what the last rehearsal with a new rhythm guitarist candidate was like in our band during the last rehearsal with him before we decided to part ways.

This is an interesting thread with a lot of great perspectives. I can't tell if the "silent treatment" is a hint that the band may not be digging the vibe from keys. If you're struggling a bit to learn the volume of the material as well as nailing the "bells and whistles," here's one suggestion to pull yourself up a bit.

Pick a couple of songs that you really like that have very signature keyboard parts. Invest a lot of time nailing those songs and programming sounds to be amazing. This will showcase your capability more than just keeping your head above water trying to learn dozens of songs. Give them an idea of the quality that is possible and let them know you'll keep adding bells and whistles each week. That's what I've been doing in a band I recently joined that has a large setlist.

On top of this, be sure you're hitting the non-musical aspects well. As someone mentioned about life being too short to deal with jerks, make sure you're giving a pro attitude to the entire thing. Mostly common sense, but here's a few things I find very important when gelling with a new band situation:

- Be on time and consistently reliable

- Act like you've been doing this for years (whether you have or not)

- Figure out ways to develop friendships

- Don't just play the parts - perform!

- Smile

Good luck.

Archived