Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard stand fail

Josh Paxton

:D To be fair, I should mention that now that I am playing a heavier-weighted keyboard and adjusted my playing accordingly, the X stand rocks back and forth pretty pendulously sometimes, LOL. When I'm playing montunos or any other two-fisted aggressive rhythmic figure, it gets pretty rockin'. Still, mine's a light-duty stand ... not all X stands are created equal and I am willing to bet my issue is because my stand is light. I will be replacing my stand, and I will be going to a tabletop stand but for multiple reasons ... fortunately none of them are failure of an X stand.

Single-braced X stands are practically useless if you play anything weighing more than 20-30 pounds or so. Double-braced is the way to go. I have a Rhodes on a double-braced Quiklok stand at home, and it never wobbles even the slightest bit.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, I was looking at that one, but it seems pretty heavy ...still, I need something that adjusts pretty low (below 26") for sitting, and these stands seem to be the only quick-setup ones that do.

I don't find the WS550 that heavy. I'd wager it's the same as, or lighter than, many other stands, especially table-style stands. I do find it a little awkward to carry as it folds up into a T shape. I use it at its lowest setting which I just measured at 24". Add 5/8" for the rubber anti-slip supports on each leg. Hope that helps.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Yes. OnStage is garbage. Like the Behringer of keyboard stands, only they give Behringer a very bad name. STAY AWAY.

Yeah, I'm finding that out now.

Before, I used a bunch of their Z stands in my studio -- which was full of Nords at the time -- but now that I'm playing out, I set one up and tear it down twice a week, and over the last 3 months or so, it's gone from reliable to where's-my-duct-tape!

I'm waiting for a shipment of Quik-Lok Monolith stands to come into my local music store, and I'll be set. Let's just hope it survives the hectic moving schedule!

I'm waiting for a shipment of Quik-Lok Monolith stands to come into my local music store, and I'll be set. Let's just hope it survives the hectic moving schedule!

Been using a Monolith with 2nd tier attachment very heavily for almost a year now. No real complaints so far.

Setup/tear-down time is minimal and easy as a breeze.

Carrying it is fairly easy so long as you're careful how you hold it as it could open up easily.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

I really like my K&M 18880 stand - it goes down to 24"

http://www.musicstandsalone.com/product/MA-18880-000-55

Love this stand. Doesn't work as a 2 tier for me because of my S90es (can't get the angles of the arms "right"), but as a tabletop stand, AWESOME. And super heavy duty. I use it for my S90es, and sometimes I'll use it to support my pretty hefty rack. Might have to buy another...but they aint cheap.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I understand about the angles of the arms - I do have it usable for the Electro top and PC3 bottom, but I can't get the boards close enough and still see the controls on the PC3.

My two-tier alternative is an OnStage Z stand - which the top layer is deep enough that I can push the Electro back some so I can see the PC3 - but it weighs so much more than the K&M - about the only stand that I carry out any more is the K&M.

You're right about the price. The link I gave is the best price I've found in US based vendors. They didn't list the second tier, but an email request brought a quick return with a "yes, we can" and price.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=productsMore&iProduct=75&sName=M-92

http://www.musicgearreview.com/dbpix/monolith.jpg

This stand just got retired by me, because both of the wheels holding the arms of it's top tiers are broken. One, just the wheel itself is busted - I can handle that...but the other one, the screw is stripped! On the wheel that holds the arm in place - the one that's supposed to be adjusted repeatedly. :rolleyes: It fell apart on me at my gig on Saturday night. :facepalm:

I've never had a stand fail me like that. Very disappointed.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I've never had a stand fail me like that. Very disappointed.

Well, that's disappointing for me, too -- I'm about to open the wallet for the Monolith ...

What will it take for someone to create a truly gig-worthy stand for the oft-working musician? I'd rather spend $500 on a stand that would last me a few years than $800 on 4+ stands that I have to replace annually.

Are we to concede that keyboard stands (like pedals, and, well combo amps) are crap, and make heavy, awkward customized Gibraltar systems?

Are we to concede that keyboard stands (like pedals, and, well combo amps) are crap, and make heavy, awkward customized Gibraltar systems?

Add me to the list of folks who can say that none of my X-stands have ever failed me at all. :idea:

Of course, I'd never think about using a single braced X, like the guy in the OP video looks to be using. Double braced is the only way to go. :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Add me to the list of folks who can say that none of my X-stands have ever failed me at all.

+1

They may not be attractive, but they last. I've got one here I bought back in the 80's that's still going strong.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Add me to the list of folks who can say that none of my X-stands have ever failed me at all. :idea:

Of course, I'd never think about using a single braced X, like the guy in the OP video looks to be using. Double braced is the only way to go. :thu:

dB

I too have had X stands last for 20 years without any drama. But I have to say that double bracing isn't going to prevent the sort of failure in the video. That was some kind of failure with the central locking mechanism that keeps the stand from collapsing -- a double-braced X stand is just as vulnerable to that as a single. As somebody mentioned, the core problem is that the locking mechanism is a single point of failure. If it goes the whole thing comes down like a stack of cards. The idea of putting a safety strap around the arms to act as a backup is an excellent and cheap insurance policy.

D7

Lots of double braced (only) stands over the years, no problems.

These stands don't fail so easily. But if a stand gets bent from pounding, too much weight or rough loading, the pin may not go all the way in or at an angle, causing the metal to cut through the pin over time, or allowing it to pop back out.

This happened to a bench I had with the same locking mechanism, which was slightly bent from being crunched between heavy speakers in a van. Fortunately, the pin broke off while I was putting it together.

• 2 years later...
If you don't need to tilt your tiers and don't have a bazillion pedals, my favorite by far is still the Apex stand. I keep going back to mine after trying just about everything under the sun. If you need a tilt and can live with a fixed 15 deg on the top tier only, then the Spider seems to be a nice variation on the Apex, with added pedal clearance as well. Those would be my votes, though you'll get no kind of consensus on here whatsoever....so brace yourself.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Actually, in all fairness, it really depends on your usage and what features are important to you. Players who sit will likely have a different preference from those who stand. The size/weight of the keyboards will play a role. Need for tilt and importance of tier height plays a role. Number of pedals play a role.

So that said, what is your rig and what is important to you?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

what is your rig and what is important to you?

Well... on Sunday with the worship band, I use my Triton with an older X-stand. It's the type of X-stand that uses a bolt to secure it--no clicking lock mechanism. It's got a wider, heavier pipe construction--quite stable. I bought it right after I got my Triton, maybe 12 years ago, but haven't seen any more like it after that. Not sure who makes/made them.

When I'm doing solo gigs, I'll usually bring the Triton w/the X, plus my Korg M3 and an Onstage Z-stand. The Z is quite heavy, but sturdy!

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Archived