Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New organ clone: Ventura TX5 Classic

Anybody try this? For sale Sweetwater for $1,995.00

http://www.jrrshop.com/catalog/images/images_big/armadilloventuratx5_c.jpg

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was kind of curious about what happened to the Ventura. There were only a few videos of it that I was aware of, but the main one that I saw focused primarily on its buttons and switches and not very much on sounds.

The others that featured sounds featured a swing band live in a ringy room, and then there was one with a guy using overdrive playing progreesive rock.

There weren't many examples of the Ventura displaying classic sounds (as a point of comparison) and it also got raked over the coals so to speak on the Keyboard Magazine's clone shoot out with Booker T., Chester Thompson and Tom Coster.

After that, I didn't hear much about it and was never quite sure how it did sound because I never saw one.

"Progreeesive" rock. I am leaving that one in.

• 3 weeks later...
Compared to the xk3c...way better keyboard action, overall simpler ergonomics, editing is way more intuitive; minimal menus compared to hammond's pages of menus. If you dug the ergonomics of the korg cx-3 version 2, prefer the keyboard action of the nord c2, and don't want to pay over 2 grand for a digital hardware organ than this is the board for you. Not knocking Hammond, just providing an alternative point of view to B3er. B3er never used a tx5 on a gig....he demoed it in a guitar centre. I toured for two years with an xk3c and have been using a Ventura for the last 4 months.

I suppose you're the king of objectivity with phrases like "way better keyboard action"? It goes without saying that the feel of a keyboard is extremely subjective.

For the record, I played a TX5 because I was considering buying it for my road rig that is based in LA... the rig I play with Janiva. I was considering it because Hammond does not give me things for free and they were completely out of stock on the XK3c and the XK1 and I needed to buy a clonewheel fast. But the TX5 didn't sound good to me. The Leslie sim is bad... worse than the XK3. The C/V didn't sound realistic / authentic at all. And the percussion sounded like Yamaha's interpretation of the Hammond percussion sound (ie, synthy).

I have no doubt that it sounds much better through a Ventilator (a DX7 organ patch would sound better through the Ventilator) but then you're looking at $2500 ($2k for the Ventura plus $500 for the Ventilator). Or you can get an XK1 for $1500 new. Or the new SK1 for around the same price as the TX5 but with all the extra sounds and functionality and less weight.

In the end, I found a good deal on a used XK3 and Leslie 2101 from a fellow board member and that's what I'm using on the road.

Endorsement or not, I pay my own hard earned money for this stuff, too. I have over $8000 invested in my two Hammond Suzuki rigs.

It's pretty outrageous what you actually have to wind up paying sometimes for a good clone combined with a good leslie sim, which is usually a Ventilator.

I was e mailed a price list of the new Key B module and it is going to sell for 1295 dollars and that includes 2 sets of drawbars and the very excellent Key B leslie sim.

The leslie sims out of Europe ( Vent, VB3, Key B, Numa) really seem to be the ticket. Many of them are integrated into the clones themselves.

I still don't know how the Ventura sounds but I do know that I am done buying clones that would need an outboard sim, given the possibilities that are starting to emerge.

It's pretty outrageous what you actually have to wind up paying sometimes for a good clone combined with a good leslie sim, which is usually a Ventilator.

I was e mailed a price list of the new Key B module and it is going to sell for 1295 dollars and that includes 2 sets of drawbars and the very excellent Key B leslie sim.

The leslie sims out of Europe ( Vent, VB3, Key B, Numa) really seem to be the ticket. Many of them are integrated into the clones themselves.

I still don't know how the Ventura sounds but I do know that I am done buying clones that would need an outboard sim, given the possibilities that are starting to emerge.

Are you talking about the Key B Duo for that price?

Edit : I meant the solo one, do you how much is the duo?

"The purple piper plays his tune, The choir softly sing; Three lullabies in an ancient tongue, For the court of the crimson king"

This is exactly what I predicted with the Ventilator. it was just a matter of time until the clone makers wold step up the quality of their sims. As good as the Key B and Numa sims are, they still do not match the Vent (IMHO). But they will soon.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

As good as the Key B and Numa sims are, they still do not match the Vent (IMHO). But they will soon.

Hi Dave I think it depends on what you are playing.

I own a Nord stage classic, NE3 76 and Numa.

The best solution for heavy rock (John Lord) is a Nord with ventilator (some internal amp crunch added at times).

For blues, gospel and jazz I use the Numa without ventilator, because after using them for over half a year I decided the Numa sounds better without a ventilator.

I play currently in a rock coverband and the intro of perfect strangers (Deep Purple) sounds best with an electro3 and ventilator cranked up all the way.

The same settings used with the Numa start to sound unnatural (can't find a better expression).

I always thought the Jon Lord sound was pretty easy to get. I thought I could nail it with the old XB-2.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I always thought the Jon Lord sound was pretty easy to get. I thought I could nail it with the old XB-2.

Have you heard the overdrive of the ventilator ?

Then you know what you were missing all along....it is just stellar without getting earpiercing.

Finally a simple intro (as metioned...Perfect Strangers) is fun to play for the sake of the very pleasing sound.

I don't use it anymore but my old overdrive unit was a old Tube Driver rack unit. I used to sometimes run a XB-2 into that thing.

The overdrive tones that always alluded me were some of the sounds that Goldy McJohn used to come up with on Steppenwolf albums. Didn't matter if I was using a clone or one of my real organs. He always had some interesting organ chemistry going on.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

• 3 weeks later...
I don't use it anymore but my old overdrive unit was a old Tube Driver rack unit.

I have one up today and use it.

The tube is replaced by a military grade one and it has a power transformer mod.

Sounds great for the heavy distorted stuff.

A.C.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived