Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moondance solo

huskyfan

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
... Or are you a sheet music guy?

DIRECTOR: Listen up everybody, we're opening "Hamlet" in six weeks. I'm handing out DVDs of YouTube clips of all the scenes. Over 4,000 lines, so get out your headphones and start memorizing ...

ACTOR: Why don't you just hand out scripts?

DIRECTOR: Oh, are you a script guy?

;)

Larry.

Edited to add: My apologies in advance. I know Dan didn't mean his comment in any sort of bad way, but there was something about it that made me think of how often reading music gets treated as a handicap or sign of weakness around here (by a few).

Sven Golly has the keyboard tabs for this--ask him.

;)

LOL

Hint: I don't think foreceman is really suggesting you ask Sven for the tabs.

I am unaware of any transcriptions. Unless, for some reason, you need to nail the solo note-for-note, I suggest giving it a few listens and trying to come up with some original solo that is the same vein as the solo from the recording, even if it isn't the same thing. That's what I do...never even attempted a note-for-note and don't plan to. :thu:

Edited to add: My apologies in advance. I know Dan didn't mean his comment in any sort of bad way, but there was something about it that made me think of how often reading music gets treated as a handicap or sign of weakness around here (by a few).

Well he did say the sheet music didn't include the solo...

Not to derail, I play with a guy who pretty much uses tabs to learn everything. When we fool around with something new at jams, he can't follow us worth a schekel, so in that case, I do consider it a weakness.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Not to derail, I play with a guy who pretty much uses tabs to learn everything. When we fool around with something new at jams, he can't follow us worth a schekel, so in that case, I do consider it a weakness.

Funny, cause I play with guys who have great ears and are able to figure out tunes really quickly. But stick a simple lead sheet in front of them a few minutes before a gig and they're completely lost.

Would you consider that a weakness? :smirk:

Sorry for the snarky remark but I'm sick and tired of hearing that argument. Any pro should be able to do both.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

http://www.celebritysmackblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/charlie-sheen-tour.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

There is one lick I really like so I play it (the staggered ascending intervals) but other than that I usually spew some dorian mode Jazz sounding stuff until the singer puts down his beer. Usually it is only once around the barn but you never know.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Well, it's definitely a weakness (being notation-only) for the OP at this moment in time...

who is Sven?

Just some smart-ass jerk that likes to take shots at people that get lost and find themselves on our doorstep, tired and broken, and looking for help.

Careful, once he gets involved, feelings get hurt. :evil::rawk:

Funny, cause I play with guys who have great ears and are able to figure out tunes really quickly. But stick a simple lead sheet in front of them a few minutes before a gig and they're completely lost.

Sorry for the snarky remark but I'm sick and tired of hearing that argument. Any pro should be able to do both.

Most definitely. I've found that people who can't read in its simplest form ( and I'm talking interpreting a lead sheet, not sightreading a Chopin Nocturne), tend to use their shortcomings as a defense mechanism. A real Pro can do both.

In regard to MD, as mentioned earlier a few times, it's pretty simple, an extended Minor Blues form of sorts. I can't imagine any player wanting to learn the solo "off the record". If you can solo on something like "Summertime" you'll have no problems with MD.

Fwiw some alternate changes that some may or may not have heard/played when it goes to the iv chord (bar 17 of the tune):

/ Dm7 G7 / C Maj.7 F Maj 7 / Bm7 b5 E7 / Am A7+5 /

/Dm7 G7 / C Maj7 F Maj7 / F7 b5 / E7 //

Another alternate way to approach the last 8 bars of the tune (for blowing) after the previous section might be:

/ Am7 Bm7/ over an E pedal in the bass for 7 bars and then simply on bar 8:

/ Am7 E7+9 //

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

https://www.youtube.com/@daveferris2709

2005 NY Steinway D, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, CP88, P515

Wasn't aware I was arguing anything, but there you go. :rolleyes:

So Husky, are you any better off now than you were before you asked your question?

Montage M7, MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XS Rack, PolyEvolver, Voyager, Cobalt 8X, Univox MiniKorg.

I don't see either as a sign of weakness- I play mostly by ear and use cheat sheets once in a while- Was just trying to learn the highlights of the solo as played is all- yes I can improvise over the verse chords but like to stick in some of the more notable pieces of the original solo......

I don't see either as a sign of weakness- I play mostly by ear and use cheat sheets once in a while- Was just trying to learn the highlights of the solo as played is all- yes I can improvise over the verse chords but like to stick in some of the more notable pieces of the original solo......

I used to start the solo per the original recording, and then do my own thing afterwards.

I played this song one time. My old band learned it for a wedding at the request of the bride and groom. Since we were only playing it once, I didn't put too much time into it. It was further complicated by the fact that I had to play both the piano solo AND the sax solo, and needed to fly from one right into the other. But I do recall that there were 2 sort of signature things from the solo I felt I needed to do in order to keep the overall recognizable sound. I don't even have a copy of it anymore, and it was probably 10 years ago that I played it, but as I recall the parts that were most important, IMHO, were as follows:

After the initial ascending scale, there was this sort of cool thing I played 2 handed also ascending that I think I pretty much learned note for note, followed by some improv descending scale. Then next signature part was alternating left hand/right hand octaves doing an ascending scale....in this case, the exact scale was less important than playing it this way. I pretty much considered those to parts the anchors, and the rest connected the dots. Of course the last scale I had to keep simple enough to be getting my sax into position with my left hand and jump into the sax solo.

Hope that makes sense, I'm not real good at explaining these things. If you need help with either of those parts, I could probably blow the cobwebs out of my head and figure it out again.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Personally, I prefer Bobby McFerrin's solo on his 1982 version! Besides, listening to Victor Feldman play behind Bobby makes the need for a piano solo almost unnecessary. Such bad ass playing by Feldman with some some cool Bobby vocalizations make this version king, for me!

If you haven't heard it, check it out!

[video:youtube]

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

What happened to the download a midifile and open it in a sequencer? I understand youtube.

I found a passable midifile in 30 seconds.

I gave up on that in the late 90's because I rarely found anything passible, and I think it's only gotten worse. Ones I did download back in the day required so much work to fix them, it was easier to do them from scratch.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived