Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Any new keyboards in the Moog pipeline?

Gary75

I feel like I'm waiting for something else to come along from Moog. I want something for live use, Voyagers too over the top, and the Lil Phatty is too sparse on the controller knobs side. Something else, like a Prodigy control surface only more angled upwards with memory storage. Maybe onboard delay and reverb. What would you like to see in the next Moog keyboard?

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Polyphony is overrated. ;)

You're only saying that because you know you can make one note sound better than most people on the forum. ;)

We need a "like" button for comments like this!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

and the Lil Phatty is too sparse on the controller knobs side.

I have to agree with you here. I'm most likely going to buy an analog monophonic synthesizer this summer, and I'm leaning towards the DSI Mopho Keyboard because of the amount of knobs. I use a Korg R3, and editing takes a little time away from my performance.

I think Moog is very innovative, but I love what DSI is putting out in terms of gear. I agree that something polyphonic or modular could really be - well, I won't use "game change", but definitely a great addition to the market. The only Moog product I own is a theremin, but I've always perceived Moog to be really good at what it does, but they're not in everyone's market.

The Voyager XL is an amazing keyboard, but only handfuls of us can afford it. I'd probably like to see something more along the lines of the Little Phatty, but with more controls. Maybe not Polyphonic. I guess you could say that's along the line of a Prodigy.

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

Also: Make the Voyager lighter. We are in carbon fiber age, and there's no reason why such a small keyboard should weight 20 kgs.

Even more important, add one of those wonderful analog delays onboard. :)

I'm beginning to get the feeling that anything polyphonic from Moog is going to be a chain of Slim Phattys. The SO4V is cool, but it, too, is a chain of individual two osc voice modules. A Little Phatty plus three Slims will run about $3600. SO4V is $3495 and has no keyboard.

I'd personally rather have a poly Obie since I'm pretty well Mooged-over, but it's an option.

@Marino: I don't take my Voyager out often so weight isn't an issue for me, but I love the big furniture feel of it. This may just be me equating mass with worth. (Thinking Hammond here...)

K.

I'm beginning to get the feeling that anything polyphonic from Moog is going to be a chain of Slim Phattys. The SO4V is cool, but it, too, is a chain of individual two osc voice modules. A Little Phatty plus three Slims will run about $3600. SO4V is $3495 and has no keyboard.

I'd personally rather have a poly Obie since I'm pretty well Mooged-over, but it's an option.

@Marino: I don't take my Voyager out often so weight isn't an issue for me, but I love the big furniture feel of it. This may just be me equating mass with worth. (Thinking Hammond here...)

K.

Agree on your Slim Phatty chain for polyphony observation.

I love the look and feel of the Voyager as well. Moog--change nothing, please. :wave:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

You know if Studio Electronics keyboarded up their SE1X I'd drop the coinage. Also, I'd like the option to change out the modulation wheel section to plug in a spring loaded joystick like the Roland. Although maybe that design is copyrighted.

I liked my SE1x a lot but in the end I felt the Voyager was a much better synth in terms of sound and programming when it comes to the classic "minimoog" type design.

The Studio Electronics ATC-x, on the other hand, is a bad mofo. I love mine and if they added a keyboard to it, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Regarding marino's suggestion of Moog adding an analog delay to their synths, considering they discontinued the moogerfooger analog delay thanks to the lack of availability of BBD chips, I think that's even more unlikely now than it was when they could source the chips! :) (I want one of those delays badly, btw).

I still say getting into the modular business again would be a good move for them.

The Studio Electronics ATC-x, on the other hand, is a bad mofo. I love mine and if they added a keyboard to it, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

...seconded. The ATC is mean!

I still say getting into the modular business again would be a good move for them.

Sounds like a great idea. I'm kind of surprised they haven't gone down that road yet.

I love the look and feel of the Voyager as well. Moog--change nothing, please. :wave:

Ok, I'll happily keep my MEK then... :rolleyes:

More seriously, I've compared my SE-1 with several Model D Minis as well as with Voyagers. Probably, if I had to make a choice today, I'd buy a Voyager rack... but the SE-1 is not too far. With a bit of filter feedback, (it can be modded to do it internally), it sounds *much* more like a real Mini.

Ok, I'll happily keep my MEK then... :rolleyes:

:D

With Pots rather than encoders, correct? ;)

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

by wolfesparade:

I have to agree with you here. I'm most likely going to buy an analog monophonic synthesizer this summer, and I'm leaning towards the DSI Mopho Keyboard because of the amount of knobs. I use a Korg R3, and editing takes a little time away from my performance.

I think Moog is very innovative, but I love what DSI is putting out in terms of gear.

The other thing about DSI, Dave Smith stands behind his products. Dave is also very proud of the reliability of his synths. In a telephone conversation one time I told Dave that "If I get half the service out of the Poly Evolver that I've gotten out of my prophet 5, I will be well pleased". He was proud that his invention was still working properly 30 years later.

I've read post by owners of other DSI instruments that Dave had sent them upgrades and parts at no charge and postage paid. Can't be in the business "for the money" when you provide that kind of customer service.

I'd say that anything you buy from Dave Smith will be a good investment.

Cheers,

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Archived