Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Semi-OT - Young Frankenstein

mate stubb

I took my family to see the touring cast perform this on Sunday. Somehow, I had procured tickets that ended up being in the very front row.

It's been awhile since I saw a professionally staged musical, and there were a few surprises.

- every cast member wore a tiny teardrop-shaped mic at the top of their forehead. I could hear everybody perfectly, so I guess the problem of micing stage performers has finally been solved.

- the performers were top notch. All the girls were beautiful, slender, danced like Rockettes (several had been for real), and sang like birds. I didn't hear an off-pitch note all night (nor any autotune), all while jumping and dancing around the stage. You hear me, Brittany? :eek:

- the pit orchestra had a bassoon. WTF? ;) The 2 identical keyboard rigs consisted of well beat Yamaha S90SXs and a laptop. The S90s had hand labels stuck all over the panels. My favorite: "If strange screen, hit Master".

Moe

---

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- the pit orchestra had a bassoon. WTF? ;)

It's been known to happen, especially in comedies. Did they have any cellos? Bassoon can take the place of a cello. They also assumedly doubled on contra-bassoon for the low, creepy/funny stuff.

- every cast member wore a tiny teardrop-shaped mic at the top of their forehead. I could hear everybody perfectly, so I guess the problem of micing stage performers has finally been solved.

This has been common practice for a good ten years. Those shows usually have great audio engineers.

When we do the touring shows here, there is no rehearsal with the cast, not one note. :o The pit orchestra practices in the lobby. There is a 5 hour rehearsal to learn the show, dinner break, and then you're on. No soundcheck. Needless to say, the sound guys gotta know their stuff to pull that off.

Don't you mean "if strange screen, hit Frankenschteen"?
:D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The rental parts for the show are as follows:

REED 1 (Piccolo, Flute, Alto Flute, Clarinet, Alto Sax)

REED 2 (Oboe, Clarinet, Tenor Sax, English Horn, Soprano Sax)

REED 3 (Flute, Clarinet, Optional Bassoon, Bass Clarinet, Baritone Sax)

HORN, TRUMPET 1, TRUMPET 2

DRUMS

PERCUSSION (Suspended Cymbal, Vibes, Timpani, Glockenspiel, Xylophone, Bell Tree, etc.)

KEYBOARD 1

KEYBOARD 2

VIOLIN

BASS

Which helps explain why Dave (Cygnus) hangs with keyboard players now. :)

Larry.

Don't you mean "if strange screen, hit Frankenschteen"?

Don't you mean 'Fronkenschteen' Dan ? ? ? - (go to 0.40). . . :D

[video:youtube]

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

Haven't seen the musical, but this is my favorite Mel Brooks movie. Yes, "Blazing Saddles" has more funny lines, but "Young Frankenstein" from start to finish hangs together better and has some great performances. I'm almost reluctant to see the musical. It's like the trepidation you have when one of your favorite books gets turned into a movie. ("I sure hope they didn't **** this up too much.")

It is always fascinating to watch the pit during a show like this. Those folks are definitely earning their paycheck, especially the keyboard and percussion players.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

I'm almost reluctant to see the musical.

The show-stoppers are the two tunes sung by Elizabeth:

- "Don't Touch Me" (she describes all the nasty things he can do to her, but only in his dreams)

- "Deep Love" (an ode to enormous schwanstuckers) :D

I love the movie too, and was not disappointed.

Moe

---

After seeing what an incredible job they did with The Producers, I have no worries about this.

(Blazing Saddles is my fav MB movie, but I think YF is way more popular. For instance, it got the deluxe edition DVD a while before the BS one came out. I waited and waited for that one.)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Archived