Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

recommendation for a gig bag

LeesKeys

Just purchased a Kurzweil PC3 76. I need to buy a gig bag. I'm not interested in a hard shell case. The board won't be traveling much- just in my car between home and church. Something quality at under $100 would be ideal. Music123.com has a SKB SKB-KB76 for 79.00.

Any recommendations?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got this for my pc3 76...and relatively happy.

GK-76 Lightweight Keyboard Case with Wheels....the wheels are nice touch.

It is much heavier than a regular gig bag that typically offers no padding. here is the company description:

GK-76 Lightweight Keyboard Case with Wheels - for 76-Key Keyboards The Gator GK-76 Lightweight Keyboard Case is a padded nylon keyboard case that fits standard profile 76-key keyboards stage pianos and synthesizers. The case features built-in wheels and dual interior adjustable padded straps for securing the keyboard during travel. It also includes overlapping soft carrying handles a pullout handle and wheels. There is a large exterior accessory compartment on the front of the bag.

Kurzweil PC3, NE3-73, Roland RD600, Yamaha ES, QSC10, Motion Sound KT80, JBL EON.

I had a Gator case with wheels for my PC3x and found the whole rig too heavy. So much that I traded it for a PC3.

For my PC3 I went with a soft padded bag the retailer threw in for free and like that a lot - so much that I kind of regret getting rid of the PC3x. I should have sold the Gator case instead as it would have been manageable with a soft shell bag, albeit without much protection.

I like the Gig Skinz line, if you can find one discounted on craigslist or ebay. I got a pair of the discontinued silver model made for the Triton LE76 off ebay for under $200. My Kurzweil SP2 fits nicely, pockets are right size for sheet music and pedals. I'd sell you my spare if you lived in Oregon.

Burt Johnson: I don't drink because drinking affects your decision making.

Arthur: You may be right. I can't decide.

Kurzweil Artis 7, SP4-7, SP2, Excelsior accordion, M-Audio ProjectMix I/O

The big Gator bag I have is way too big for the PC3x. It doesn't make any sense. What keyboard is that big? Nothing's that big. It makes it really hard to carry that heavy board. I need something that fits that board snugly!

Well, since you don't specify WHICH bag you have, I'll go with the following off-the-cuff list:

Korg OASYS

Roland Fantom (any 88)

Yamaha Motif (any 88)

Korg Triton Studio 88

Kurzweil K2600X

Roland V-Piano

...any of the above are bigger than the PC3X, at least in terms of depth.

Although you clearly state that you are not interested in a hard shell case, I respectfully suggest you reconsider. A lot can happen between home and church and a hard case is relatively cheap "insurance" for your expensive board. I once slipped on the stairs in my own home, sending my VK 8 tumbling down. I don't think it would have survived in a gig bag.

Be careful how you handle it in transport, even in the case. I have had a couple of keyboards suffer dings while INSIDE Gator cases - the padding is VERY thin.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Archived