Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Cars and big keyboards

I own a Skoda Octavia, which is a normal sized car here in Europe. Not the largest, but not small. 5 doors.

What size of keyboard is good to load through the back door, so it is hidden and more secure?

I had a Yamaha P90 and now a Kurzweil PC3x, both 88 keys, and I could not load any of them in the backdoor. I was only able to put either one in the backseat, so they are not hidden, and of course not possible passengers in the backseats.

I like weighted keys and they are usually very large.

Sorry for my bad English! Hope you understand me. This should be a common problem between us musicians!

Casio PX-S3000, Elektron Analog Keys, Elektron Octatrack, Synthstrom Deluge, Eurorack 6U, Yamaha DXR10

Personal:

https://www.youtube.com/user/mcpepe2/

Band:

https://www.youtube.com/tentaclesband

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I own a Skoda Octavia, which is a normal sized car here in Europe. Not the largest, but not small. 5 doors.

One of these?

http://www.lincah.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/2009-skoda-octavia-combi-rear-side-picture-800x600.jpg

Have you considered 76-key versions?

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

One thought I had was to take a tape measure and measure the dimensions of the back end of the Skoda. Then you could take those numbers to the music store and see if any keyboards that are smaller than those numbers meet your sound requirements and budget. If the store doesn't carry everything, you might be able to go online and see what the dimensions are for any keyboards that you think might be promising.

I've never tried it, but I think it might work.

Larry.

What size of keyboard is good to load through the back door, so it is hidden and more secure?

...Sorry for my bad English! Hope you understand me. This should be a common problem between us musicians!

Nord Electro 3 HP has 73 weighted keys. It should be available very soon.

Yamaha S70 XS has 76 weighted keys. It's available now.

I live in the Southern United States... Trust me, you have no reason to apologize for your English. :sick:

Good luck!

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Hope you find the board your lookin for mate, and don't you dare apoligize for your English, there are some here who's written English is really horrible. They try to write something so poorly written and spelled to pass for English. Most Europeans far surpass many Americans in the written language.

Right now I would hold out for the arrival of the Electro HP. If you can't wait, you should get a good price on the Nord Stage 76EX with the Stage 2 imminent at most places.

The S70XS is a HUGE board for a 76-noter, wider than my Nord Piano with 12 more keys.

One other possibility: Korg SV-1/73.

In the end, it all depends on how wide a range of sounds you need.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

One thought I had was to take a tape measure and measure the dimensions of the back end of the Skoda. Then you could take those numbers to the music store and see if any keyboards that are smaller than those numbers meet your sound requirements and budget. If the store doesn't carry everything, you might be able to go online and see what the dimensions are for any keyboards that you think might be promising.

I've never tried it, but I think it might work.

Larry.

Larry, you've been around long enough to know full well that common sense has no place here. We must all abandon all self reliance and abide by the will of the almighty Internet Forum Collective, whose anonymous wisdom far exceeds anything that we might be capable of achieving ourselves.

Drink the Kool-Aid, my brothers, and vegetate until the spoon of obvious truth is thrust down your throats!

Ahem... okay, I think my blood sugar might be a little low... time for lunch. :thu:

McPepe - I don't know what your car looks like so I can't recommend a keyboard for you. I have a question about your car. Does the rear seat of the Octavia fold down? I own a Hyundai Sonata and the rear seat splits (60/40) and I can fold down either side. My RD300GX in a Yamaha YBB case fits unto the trunk nicely with part of the rear seat folded down. I then have enough room for amps stand and cases, etc. When fully loaded all you can see is a bit of the case inside the passenger compartment and I can still carry 3 passengers.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

measuring the storage space is a good start, but may not be sufficient. Ocasionally you will find a situation where the keyboard does fit in the car, but the top of the car would have to be removed to get the keyboard INTO the car. Door armrests, doors that don't open 90 degrees. . .even trunk designs that don't allow for a straight shot into a splitback seat/trunk space can foil the best laid plans. Failsafe?? Buy retail; drive to the store, put a demo in the appropriate case and try and load it, or do the same with a friend that has the setup you are thinking about.
"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

As far as boards to check out. . if you like the sounds of your PC3x see what you think of the semi-weighted (or as I call it, the spring-loaded) action on the PC3LE7.
"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

McPepe - I don't know what your car looks like so I can't recommend a keyboard for you.

<<< See previous page.

Unfortunately the picture link in your previous post is broken. At least it is in my browser.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

McPepe - I don't know what your car looks like so I can't recommend a keyboard for you.

<<< See previous page.

Unfortunately the picture link in your previous post is broken. At least it is in my browser.

http://www.lincah.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/2009-skoda-octavia-combi-rear-side-picture-800x600.jpg

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

The Skoda Octavia is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/koda_Octavia

It is more or less the same size as your Hyundai Sonata Monksdream.

The rear seat of the Octavia can fold down like yours. But then you can see the case of the keyboard from the outside of the car and this is not good for security. I once tried this and finally thought that simply putting it in the back seat was quicker and easier for my back. Perhaps I need to try again.

The Yamaha S70XS is no option for me. No good portability. It is as heavy and big as some 88s.

I have never had a 76 keys, so this maybe the solution. But there is still only very little 76s with weighted keys. The new Electro HP seems a good solution (though a bit expensive for me). This will fit surely in the back end.

Tomorrow I will make a few photos so I can show you how I transport my PC3x.

It is not as easy as simply measuring the dimensions of the car. It is not perfectly rectangular, and the keyboard weight makes difficult the movements. If the Kurzweil would not be so large and heavy, it will simply be the perfect keyboard for me.

But...How are your weighted keys and cars? How do you place them in your cars?

Casio PX-S3000, Elektron Analog Keys, Elektron Octatrack, Synthstrom Deluge, Eurorack 6U, Yamaha DXR10

Personal:

https://www.youtube.com/user/mcpepe2/

Band:

https://www.youtube.com/tentaclesband

I live in the Southern United States... Trust me, you have no reason to apologize for your English. :sick:

Hope you find the board your lookin for

there are some here who's written English is really horrible.

No kidding.

I LOL'd...

I say get a car that fits your keyboards rather than keyboards that fit your car. :)

This. Obviously.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

How are your weighted keys and cars? How do you place them in your cars?

I drive a Honda Odyssey.

My SKB case with a Kurzweil PC2X fits nicely between the mid seats (Captain's Chairs). It doesn't lay flat, of course. It's on its side.

Luckily, all my other gear fits inside too. If that didn't work, I'd have to use the POD (carrier that rides on top of the vehicle).

But driving up to a gig with a pod on top of your vehicle would NOT be cool. :facepalm:

Ahh, I see what you mean, mcpepe. (Thanks for the link, Tom) it's nt that you can't get an 88 into the car, you just can't hide it. Assuming your Skoda is the same size as my Sonata a 73 or 76 will fit across your trunk. But you're right that there aren't a lot of those to choose from. The best, and most expensive, solution would be to get a different car!

But...How are your weighted keys and cars? How do you place them in your cars?

http://www.a1leasing.com/uimages/5_X_8_Trailer_Image_1_t.jpg

A trailer makes it easier to load in/out and hides the equipment. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

A trailer makes it easier to load in/out and hides the equipment. :cool:

Provided it has the "nothing worth stealing" paint job with some straw and bit of garden hose hanging out the back.

Some friends of ours who play in another band have their big old name/logo on their trailer. Every time I see it, I think, "Man, that's dumb." They might as well put "Come steal our stuff" on it.

Stuff and things.

http://www.a1leasing.com/uimages/5_X_8_Trailer_Image_1_t.jpg

Nice photo, D. :laugh:

My solution: Camry with large trunk = invisible 88 key keyboard, most any brand.

We must all abandon all self reliance and abide by the will of the almighty Internet Forum Collective, whose anonymous wisdom far exceeds anything that we might be capable of achieving ourselves.

Now I'll have to agree with that. "You've reached the musician support group. Post your questions about gear, music or life's problems, and 50 experts will be along soon to offer customer support/counseling. Press 1 for English, 2 for near English."

Before the internet, how did the world ever get by?

[

"You've reached the musician support group. Post your questions about gear, music or life's problems, and 50 experts will be along soon to offer customer support/counseling. Press 1 for English, 2 for near English."

Before the internet, how did the world ever get by?

We had these things called 'friends', most of whom we'd meet weekly at places called 'music stores' on weekends when we went to look at gear we couldn't afford. ;)