Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who uses power conditioners\voltage regulators on the gig?

rappa29

We had some power issues at our gig last Friday night.

Couldn't get any volume\power out of the bass players rig (GK700RBII head into an Eden 2x10). It would struggle and fart when he played on his B string or lower notes on E. Sounded like his head was only running at half power the whole night.

My XK1->Vent->K10 would produce a low, loud, ground buzz\hum. Took the Vent out of the signal chain completely and went XK1->K10 directly, no issue.

At first I thought my Vent was messed up, but it worked fine when I took it home and plugged it in.

Also, had intermittent power running to the monitors, so they'd fluctuate in and out.

I never really thought about using one until we had these issues last Friday night. I've only ever used generic surge protection power strips, but never used a specific power conditioner or voltage regulator, like a Furman.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

i've been using a tripplite since the early 90's. i believe mine is an LC-1200. keeps the signal close to 117V. never had issues with my keys nor the unit. have done dozens of outdoor gigs. use it indoors and outdoors. worth the investment in my opinion.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=tripp+lite+lc1200+line+conditioner&rlz=1W1ADFA_en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&wrapid=tlif130568759398410&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1913633347490866225&sa=X&ei=NDbTTayaE4Hg0QHCibWFDA&ved=0CGkQ8wIwAg#

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

i've been using a tripplite since the early 90's. i believe mine is an LC-1200. keeps the signal close to 117V. never had issues with my keys nor the unit. have done dozens of outdoor gigs. use it indoors and outdoors. worth the investment in my opinion.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=tripp+lite+lc1200+line+conditioner&rlz=1W1ADFA_en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&wrapid=tlif130568759398410&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1913633347490866225&sa=X&ei=NDbTTayaE4Hg0QHCibWFDA&ved=0CGkQ8wIwAg#

+10 :thu:

I use an APC Line-R 1200VA.

I got it as I had some problems at an outdoor gig - my Viscount organ wouldn't work *at all* with the poor quality power. Seems like a lot of people doing smaller outdoor events or parties skimp on the generators and hire a cheap one that chucks out very bad power (there are technical discussions elsewhere on this forum on what that actually means...)

I don't use it on every gig - if the venue is one I've played at regularly and/or is close to home, I tend not to bother. But it's small and cheap, and a valuable help to keep voltage levels good.

I have used a line condition/voltage regulator for years after having some hinky power at a gig and some supesensitive power amps that would shut down with as little as a 2v swing.

Now, I just won't leave home without one!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I haven't had any issues at the venues I play, but it's not a huge investment, and they don't weigh much, so I might pick one up just for safety sake.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Archived