Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Musician's pay

MonksDream

Are you serious??

I played in a 80's band in the 80's, and the job's were there.

It's a different time now .

People watch thier pennies.

Be thankfull for what you have , cause it ain't gonna last forever.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
As a dayjobbing 9-5'er, I have always avoided (never sought out) wedding gigs. They eat up such a huge piece of your weekend, and the whole thing just feels like work, from beginning to end. If I was hard up for money, I'd do it, but very reluctantly. Most of the music pros I know snatch up wedding gigs whenever they can. They don't enjoy it, but I think from their perspective, they will regard fondly anything that helps them not have to cross over into the day-jobbing world.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

The whole pain of wedding gigs is why I started the career about face thread 3 weeks ago. I'm so over it but to earn a living there is no other option I can see.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Hey, even Elton John does weddings... For bigoted jerks like Rush Limbaugh. And he made 1 million for that one.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Headline would read "Gay activist bends over for the conservative dollar".... :o
Hey, even Elton John does weddings... For bigoted jerks like Rush Limbaugh. And he made 1 million for that one.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

Too bad my friends in the band, John Mahon & Bob Birch, didn't get a taste off that. :( On the other hand, they're working, making good dough, but tired of the road.

From what I have heard the only person who tasted any of that was Elton. I used to a a huge Elton John fan until he played that gig. Talk about hypocrisy. He rails about freedom and gay rights and ends up working for the leader of bigoted views in America. I was rationalizing it by believing that he may do some good with the fee by donating it to a good cause. Instead it went right into his pocket.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

rent/wear tuxedos to the reception to look professional,

You can purchase a tux for about $175. Just sayin. ;)

Yeah, if you're doing weddings (or any kind of private events) a tux is a necessity. That said, it never ceases to amaze me what guys want to pass off as a tux....

I had to educate a couple of my band members about tuxes. You own your tux. It's wool. Black jeans/dress pants won't work, shirt must be a "real" tux shirt, and it must be nice. Also, no drinks/coffee cups on the backline( no one wants to see a cup of coffee in the pics). When you work expensive jobs, the people that can afford to pay you generally like nice, and they can spot cheap a mile away. That said, about all we play are wedding and large private events and things are slower this year. While the weddings have held up, pricewise, I have had to adjust my price on a few occasions. Our minimum is $1850, 4 piece band. I own the PA, lights, and do all of the booking. There are very few bands here that do as many events as we do.

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

The "only" wedding gigs I'll consider playing anymore are the "cocktail/dinner" sets with my trio or combo. A couple of sets of dinner music, a nice pay check and I'm out the door before the DJ or wedding band hits their first note!

The rest of the shlock, drama and crap that goes along with wedding gigs, just don't make them worth the money.

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

The "only" wedding gigs I'll consider playing anymore are the "cocktail/dinner" sets with my trio or combo. A couple of sets of dinner music, a nice pay check and I'm out the door before the DJ or wedding band hits their first note!

These days, that's pretty much the scenario with me and a lot of my more Jazz/Acoustic oriented friends. Get in, do our thing, get paid, get out, nobody gets hurt. :laugh:

Although tomorrow I am doing the usual wedding hit with a more r&b, soul, funk pick up band. I think I've posted about this guy here before. A great singer and bassist in the R&B/Motown style.

http://www.eddiewatkinsjr.com/bio.htm (check out the old vid at the bottom of the page with Joe Sample :cool: )

Eddie used to live here but is now up in Seattle. He still gets calls in town though and I work with him a few times a year. It's at the North Ranch CC out in Westlake. I do the first cocktail hour on the grand with the sax player and then the 4 hour hit with the band.

The pay is good, Eddie always calls top notch players and I'm thankful to have the work in these times.....I think :confused:

On a gear side note--I really wish I had the SV-1 for tomorrow's gig. :cool:

Archived