Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - pdf to TIFF for import to Finale Printmusic

stillplaying

Got some notation in pdf that I want to import into Finale Printmusic for editing.

If I've understood this Finale will import TIFF files but not pdf. Anyone converted pdfs to TIFF? What did you use and would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance for any help/replies.

P.S. It's just short piano pieces for students, nothing complex, no full scores or Berio sequenzas

I'm the piano player "off of" Borrowed Books.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sven. Just spent a couple of hours doing that. Read the posts on the Finale Forum going back to 2003. I haven't got a scanner - lots of "do it again from scratch" and "tried XYX but didn't get good results." Read other music forums - a dedicated one for organists - they couldn't crack it either. Downloaded a program from CNet called "office Convert PDF to JPEG..TIFF." Ran it but Finale doesn't like it.

BTW Sven ... none taken.

Perhaps a little context in your original post, letting us know that you're having problems beyond simply finding a converter to do what you want? It's not like you're being timed when posting...

So... you also haven't told us what platform you're on, so I'll assume it's a Windows variant. Open the PDF document, view it fullscreen (or as large as you can), and hit ALT+PrtScr to take a screen capture. Open Paint, hit CTRL+V to paste the screen capture into the application. To to File -> Save As and select "TIFF".

Enjoy. :snax:

....Finale doesn't like it.

I have never used Finale, but let me take a stab.

Do you mean...

a) Finale doesn't understand the TIFF file at all, or

b) Finale cannot successfully convert the TIFF image into a Finale score

If (a)... Use another converter, or perhaps Finale does not full support TIFF images. You can load TIFF files into MS-Paint to see if they are correctly converted... or give up.

If (b)... Your 'didn't get good results' comment supports this interpretation. It is likely that the OCR process in Finale doesn't recognize the symbols in the TIFF image as well-formed musical notation. This is not a problem with TIFF, but with the contents of the original PDF file.

A suggestion... export a TIFF image from Finale, re-import into Finale... that should show you best-case results. If that doesn't work well, you might as well give up since Finale cannot recognize it's own notation. Otherwise, try to tweak the PDF->TIFF image to look more like the Finale->TIFF image.

A final suggestion... load the TIFF file into MS-Paint and do whatever you are trying to do the hard way.

Good luck.

Ok - got it into Paint and exported. Finale opens the TIF and freezes. The blue bar that fills in left to right to show you how far along the process is - didn't budge in five minutes.

Got me thinking about the Paint export. I have Smart Board software with a great image capture function. It exports to jpeg - got a very clear file, black on white with nothing else. Coverted it to a .TIF using Paint.

Finale doesn't like it either. One blue bar filled in and the "Total Time" counter is now up to 46 mins to go (and rising).

Thanks for the help - the recognition bit in Finale is at fault, your suggestion was sound.

Seems like I used Svengle after all (sort of).

Just FYI - I have Finale (2008), and I did buy the add on SmartScoreX package for importing files. I also have a 11x17 Mustek scanner that does comply with the requirements from SmartScore and Finale.

I have still had very poor results in scanning even rather simple music into Finale. A fly-speck on the paper is enough to confuse it. There was no significant time delay, but the results had enough errors per page that it was less time consuming to just manually put it in to Finale than to fix all the problems (especially considering I usually had to figure out how to fix each error).

I printed the PDF files on a high res laser printer, then scanned (the scanner is on a different computer from Finale, but the computers are networked, so I can move the .tif file to the computer that has Finale and SmartScanX) - still no joy.

My personal conclusion is that the ad copy is a lot better than any results I've been able to obtain. I would be very pleased if someone comes up with an answer that makes the above statement wrong (because I still would really like to be able to easily scan music into Finale). YMMV.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Here's another approach... (again, without trying it)... this software SharpEye is designed specifically to visually parse musical notation into MIDI or MusicXML (which can be loaded directly into Finale). $149 is a bit steep unless you need this feature a lot.

You could also try Print Music which is published by Finale (a probably admission that the Finale import feature sucks). It only costs $119, but there is a free 30 day full-featured demo version.

Ain't the internet wonderful?

You could also try Print Music which is published by Finale (a probably admission that the Finale import feature sucks). It only costs $119, but there is a free 30 day full-featured demo version.

quote]

That's the version I have - the one giving the problems.

(apologies - got the quote function thing wrong somehow)

Try Zan it's a print driver that will print anything to what ever image file you want including tiff.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

• 2 years later...
My partner and i produced the actual Pdf file documents with a high res laser printing device, next read (the particular code reader will be with a various pc via Finish, nevertheless the computer systems are usually networked, so I can slowly move the .tif file to the pc that has Finish along with SmartScanX) -- even now simply no delight.

• 3 months later...
Try Zan it's a print driver that will print anything to what ever image file you want including tiff.

This it's a driver, you install it, you set it up, you go to any app that has a print command and select print, you select the print driver and print, it ask you where to save, it converts to whatever image format that you set in set up and saves it, done you now have your image file.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

Archived