Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

GarageBand for the iPad

kanker.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've decided to record my entire demo on my iPad!

I'm going to be using a number of apps, backing tracks in GarageBand, then I'll import the mix into AmpliTube to record guitars and vocals in the 8-track mixer. The clincher was ordering the iRig Mic today!

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/irigmic says it is a condenser mic, good enough for my demo I think. What do you think?

• 2 weeks later...

I got my iPad 2 last week, and used it on a gig for the first time tonight. I used an Akai LPK25 to play synth sounds in GarageBand and NLog MIDI Synth. And I have to say it performed like a champ. It was the perfect complement to my Electro and SV-1, for the handful of analog sounds I can't get from them. It was pretty much exactly what I was hoping I'd be able to do last year with the SynthStation and the MIDI Mobilizer, and was so disappointed in both cases. I even used GarageBand's "smart guitar" setting for a tune, which was way more fun than I should probably admit on a forum of professional musicians.

Bottom line, I'm happy to say the iPad is now part of my rig (at least until the Nord Stage 2 I just ordered gets here, and possibly renders it redundant).

• 1 month later...

So my wife got an iPad and I'm fooling around with GB. Is it possible to save variations of instruments?

When I go into KEYBOARD and select one of the keyboards there is a SAVE option to the right. When I click on it a text entry box comes up but what am I supposed to do with this? It seems like it's looking for a password and Cancel does nothing. Basically GB is locked in this mode until I do a reboot of the iPad. Anyone know what's going on?

Busch.

I don't have an iPad but it sounds like it's prompting you for a name for your saved patch.
Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I don't have an iPad but it sounds like it's prompting you for a name for your saved patch.

It's weird. The virtual keyboard doesn't pop up but if you have a bluetooth keyboard you can enter whatever. It shows up as ..... like you're entering a password. Pressing enter does nothing and I tried everything that would be password related that I can think of and filename text. The bad thing is Cancel doesn't work and you're stuck there.

Busch.

• 5 months later...
I saw that in the announcement of the update, but it didn't click. Thanks for pointing that out!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 4 months later...
I'm just looking through the help file and I don't see where you can even edit MIDI notes. You can do basic cut/copy/paste/loop of regions but I don't see that any form of detailed editing is possible. Please point to where this is in the help file if I'm wrong.
You can now with the new version, which is a free update.

It's shown on this page, under the Recording Studio section, second image Note Editor. It looks to be the same piano roll editor as the desktop version.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Some other new features:

Sharing:

http://images.apple.com/apps/garageband/shared/images/sharing.jpg

GarageBand now includes even more ways to share your music. In addition to email, you can share your songs directly to Facebook, YouTube, and SoundCloud. Send them to iMovie to add a custom soundtrack to your movie. Export songs to your iTunes library. Or open them in GarageBand on your Mac to keep the creative process going.

Works with iCloud

With iCloud, you can keep your GarageBand songs up to date across all your iOS devices. Enable any song for iCloud sharing and all the latest changes automatically appear on your iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch right on cue.

[Now they need to update the desktop version of GB so it ties in with iCloud as well, and the files can be changed by any version of the app]

Some other new features:

Sharing:

http://images.apple.com/apps/garageband/shared/images/sharing.jpg

[Now they need to update the desktop version of GB so it ties in with iCloud as well, and the files can be changed by any version of the app]

NOt sure, but I think they did yesterday - I updated but haven't checked. Since I use Logic, and Logic can open Garageband sessions, this is all pretty slick. Start a tune on a plane on the iPad, bring it into Logic and polish it up......

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

AFAIK, the GB files can still only go one way, from iPad to Mac. I'm guessing there are some limits to the iOS version of GB, such as the loops and instruments not being there. If you created a song on the Mac version, and it used loops and/or an instrument that's not on the iOS version, the only way it could work on iOS is if they bundled the loop or instrument in the GB file. While in most cases this could be okay, it could get big quickly.

Oh, also, isn't the iOS version limited to 8 tracks or something like that? If your Mac GB file has more than what the iOS version can handle, then what?

Still, the iOS GB -> Mac GB or Logic path is very cool.

I`m having a problem using my MotifES7 w/ camera connector kit into an IPAD2 using Garage Band. After playing it for a few minutes a message pops up saying USB connection is not supported. I updated my iOS to 5 hoping it was a bug but the problem is still there.

Any suggestions?

Motif ES7

Korg Triton Pro76

Roland Fantom X8

CP -33

Custom B-3 Chop w/ 145 Leslie

I`m having a problem using my MotifES7 w/ camera connector kit into an IPAD2 using Garage Band. After playing it for a few minutes a message pops up saying USB connection is not supported. I updated my iOS to 5 hoping it was a bug but the problem is still there.

Any suggestions?

I would make sure the iPad is fully charged before you start, it does seem to make a difference. Other than that, you can try going from the camera kit into a USB-MIDI interface, if you have one around, so you'd be going into the Yamaha over standard 5-pin DIN MIDI instead of USB, and see how that works instead.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 8 months later...

Hi, i know this is an old post

I was just reading after searching for anyone who knew how to add sample into GarageBand ipad.

I think there's a chap on YouTube gospel musician whose found a way of importing some electric piano samples.

Regarding whether alesis is compatible. I have got a alesis io dock for my ipad 2.

It works great! I use it for garage band and ikmultimedia sample tank and also just tinkering with this app called vocalive. My guitar plugs into one of the pair of combined xlr/1/4" jack connectors and the other one i use for a mic. I has a good preamp. I plug a basic Yamaha np-30 keyboard in to the midi.

It's all interesting stuff but need to be creating as we'll as playing around.

That is the key... If you could make the IPad a sample player... My world would change dramatically...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

That is the key... If you could make the IPad a sample player... My world would change dramatically...

Check out the BS-16i app, it plays soundfonts.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Archived