Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Oberheim is back in...

Bronks

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That thing is bigger than Carlo's S70XS!

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Look up the word "BALLS" in the dictionary you'll find this:

http://www.ihavesynth.com/sites/ihavesynth.com/files/imagecache/object_513x270/objects/Oberheim_8_Voice.jpg

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

:freak: ...wow... :freak:

If it sounds like the old SEM 4-voice, it should be fantastic.

There's one thing I don't get, though... What's the utility of retaining the four individual panels? I guess most people using it polyphonically want an unified sound. So why not save on the hardware?

:freak: ...wow... :freak:

If it sounds like the old SEM 4-voice, it should be fantastic.

There's one thing I don't get, though... What's the utility of retaining the four individual panels? I guess most people using it polyphonically want an unified sound. So why not save on the hardware?

Mostly because it is not a true computer controlled poly synth voice in the sense that the pots and switches have actual signal flowing thru them, instead of being disconnected running ADC converters to the computer.

When Tom brought the old SEM back, it was as faithful to the original circuits as possible, replacing only those components not available any more. It is very discrete with lots of individual transistors instead of vco and vcf chips, and the sound reflects that.

The other reason is that lots of people value the ability to have each voice sound slightly different - it sounds more like an ensemble that way instead of homogenous chords. For example, the brass ensemble on "Byrdland".

There are master tune and filter controls to broadly affect everything at once.

Moe

---

Although, I've heard several people say that two-voice is the ideal for that technology, in terms of quality and effectiveness.

Something about that architecture apparently breaks down when you add more voices, but this is just coming from old-timers who owned or played everything Tom ever made.

Did the Two-Voice ever come out? I've had my eye on that one for awhile.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

It is very discrete with lots of individual transistors instead of vco and vcf chips, and the sound reflects that.

Sure he's not using CA3080 OTA's? LOL :wave:

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

For those too lazy to click on the link above, here it is:

http://hotrodmotm.com/images/misc/OB4V_wideshot_lg.jpg

The master section has a bunch of extra EGs and LFOs to make the synth that much more powerful.

I´d like to see the backpanel of that beast.

Visiting Tom Oberheim site I recognized there´s a new SEM Pro out, incl. MIDI/CV and back panel patchbay like the old SEMs.

A.C.

The other reason is that lots of people value the ability to have each voice sound slightly different - it sounds more like an ensemble that way instead of homogenous chords. For example, the brass ensemble on "Byrdland".

Can't this be programmed so that each voice sounds unique? I thought that was what Joe was after with Birdland, i.e. sax, trumpet, trombone.

Busch.

Can't this be programmed so that each voice sounds unique?

Busch.

Yes !

Would be great to get a 6-voice, doubling the Xpander in multi patch mode via MIDI echo.

Xpander offers the same voice assign modes.

A.C.

Look up the word "BALLS" in the dictionary you'll find this:

http://www.ihavesynth.com/sites/ihavesynth.com/files/imagecache/object_513x270/objects/Oberheim_8_Voice.jpg

That was the first synth I ever touched. Around 75 at Downey Music

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

WOW! :love: Now, that's what I'm talking about...Go, Tom!

For what it is, it's even pretty reasonably priced - Not much more than a Minimoog Voyager. At the risk of comparing apples to oranges, I wonder how many people would consider this to be a bigger bang for the buck? Assuming, of course, that it sounds as big as the original. Which it should, considering there's apparently almost no difference in circuit design.

I hope this beast is a huge success. Again, go Tom! :thu:

><>

Steve

Assuming, of course, that it sounds as big as the original. Which it should, considering there's apparently almost no difference in circuit design.

I hope this beast is a huge success. Again, go Tom! :thu:

I wonder if anyone here compared a old SEM and a new one side by side ?

A.C.

The more I read the more I'm salivating. I've been holding out for something poly from Moog, but at $3500 the SO4V is a steal. And you know it's going to sound freakin' amazing. I've only played one 4V and I fell in love immediately.

Now...how to break it to the wife?

Now...how to break it to the wife?

Divorce? Except then she'd get to keep 2 voices.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Archived