Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Mumford and Sons

gryphon

Am I the only one who's never heard of them? Grammy nomination and sold-out American tour? I need to get out more. Keyboard work isn't major, but I like the band's sound.

[video:youtube]

Estonia 190, Korg TrinityPlus, Yamaha P90, Roland PK-5a

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Am I the only one who's never heard of them?

Maybe you are the only one who HAS heard of them Gryph :/ ...

Mmm - interesting mixture of attempts at American/Irish accents going on there !

I don't think that'll be going in my collection tho'...

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

anglo/irish folkies. . .the toast of the local alternative station here (Mpls/St. Paul) and in a few other US markets. In today's alt-pop environment they have a unique sound and they've got a couple of good tunes. However, they make me a bit nervous as they sound like they could break into a sea chantey at any moment.

For a Scottish variant, check this out:

"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

I've heard the name over and over, but had never bothered to check them out. It's good, but not quite my bag. I'll leave it to the hipsters/neo-hippies.

I was watching the video, but for some reason it froze the image to about 0:02. However, the lights still seemed to be flickering, so I was like: "Man, I hope they didn't pay anyone for this!" It wasn't until I scrolled down to D-Bon's comment that I realised what was wrong...

Not familiar with their music, but I actually remember that name because one of their albums got one of the worst Pitchfork reviews I've ever seen. Usually even a really bad record will get a 4-5 or so.

link

Mumford & Sons "Sigh No More" got 2.1, about the same (2.2) as Yes' "Tales from Topographic Oceans", yet Lady Gaga got 7.8. Does that tell you anything?

Well, in all honesty, Topographic Oceans was a bit of a dud as far as Yes goes
That seems to be the conventional wisdom. IMO the conventional wisdom is wrong. If you don't mind me asking, how often do you listen to Tales From Topographic Oceans? (I'm listening to it right now).

If you think Tales From Topographic Oceans is worthy of contempt while Lady Gaga is worthy of praise, then something is wrong. Seriously wrong.

Many people never updated from vinyl to CD on everything. I understand. After all, it would cost a fortune for many of us. And so we forget. If you want mp3's of Tales (four files, one for each side) let me know.

Mumford & Sons are very much flavour-du-jour in the UK at the moment. But like so many modern bands, I long to hear some variation in what they do. The Pitchfork review is right in one sense, that once you've heard one hoedown-y breakdown you've heard plenty.

Still, I find them slightly less annoying than the current glut of hokey-folky girl singers who seem to think that sounding coy/knowing/bored while strumming three chords on an acoustic is groundbreaking, and who crop up with annoying regularity in TV ads at the moment.

By the way, I agree that Topographic Oceans is vastly underrated.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

My college son actually turned me onto these guys a while ago. Like a lot of new music, it isnt in heavy rotation, but I liked it enough that I asked him for a copy of the whole album. I like them.

The Pitchfork review was very entertaining. I get a kick out of reviewers who really wish they were writers; you get the vibe that if they werent pissing and moaning in a flowery fashion about someone else that their output would be truly dismal. How clever of him to pick up on that Mumford & Sons name as a trading post.

Pitchfork? I love the SNL piss takes on their hipster-palooza event commercials.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Well, in all honesty, Topographic Oceans was a bit of a dud as far as Yes goes
That seems to be the conventional wisdom from some. IMO the conventional wisdom is wrong. If you don't mind me asking, how often do you listen to Tales From Topographic Oceans? (I'm listening to it right now).

I think it would have made a terrific single album. There's a lot of great material there, IMO it just needed to be edited down.

Mumford and Sons

I love the one where Grady and Fred get drunk, and Aunt Esther yells at them. Oh wait... :laugh:

That's not Pitchfork. That's the "Gathering of the Juggalos," which couldn't be further from hipster.

Try Again

Right. I'm familiar with the skit. And who they're making fun of is the Gathering of the Juggalos, which is like white trash Bonnaroo.

[video:youtube]

I thought it was making fun of the Pitchfork Music Festival (here in Chicago), especially when they whipped the pitchfork out.

No need BridgI never read a Pitchfork review before today. Their music fest is too underground/hipster for me, and I refuse to work hard to like anything! Thanks for the heads up on the JuggalosFest: is that related then to those bozo clown rappers? (I cant remember their name, only their fetish for Faygo soft drinks, and their nutty fans.) And while I am a huge Yes fan, I concur with you and Rick Wakeman: if it was distilled down to 40 minutes or less, that could have been a great record.

Before this thread gets buried too deep, I want to thank reidmc for the Frightened Rabbit video above. I've been checking their stuff out and have purchased a couple of their albums (well, mp3's).

As for Mumford and Sons, I am all for anything that includes banjo. :laugh:

I've heard of them before but never really put much listening into them. Now that you've introduced me to them again, I like them! Thanks gryphon. :)

~ Sean

Juno-60, Juno-G, MicroBrute, MS-20 Mini, PX-5S, R3, etc.

I think it would have made a terrific single album. There's a lot of great material there, IMO it just needed to be edited down.
Yes' work is ingenious. It's quality work. But there are simply too many notes, that's all. Just cut a few and it will be perfect. Which few did you have in mind, Cygnus? :laugh:

Archived