Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

It's New Year's Eve - R U Giggin'?

ITGITC

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

kanker, the next time you're in town you need to go to Fat Head's and get yourself a Southside Slopes headwich:

http://www.sandwichstate.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/fatheads-southsideslopes.jpg

Aw man that's just NASTY! But then I have the rare ability to clog my arteries just LOOKING at something like that.

"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

For anyone interested, this is one of Styx's keyboard rig. Lots of lyrics written on laminated notes. Roland VK7 and a Roland DP. A couple other rigs around the stage too. An old Korg T3 and a V synth off stage.

At our gig tonight, the TVs had the Styx show on while we were playing. I was thinking of you the whole time. That must have been a cool gig!

On a side note, it's obscene what these places make on NYE. For people just showing up, $25/head. If you reserve a table, it comes out to $50/head. Place holds 450, was full, line of probably 100 people waiting to get in any given time, and they'd let people in as others left. I figure they pulled $15k just at the door. Now we got paid well, but still...

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Mission Accomplished
:thu:

Ahh, didn't see the pic of the sandwich. Now I'm getting HUNGRY

kanker, the next time you're in town you need to go to Fat Head's and get yourself a Southside Slopes headwich:

http://www.sandwichstate.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/fatheads-southsideslopes.jpg

Fatheads goes OVER THE TOP in the quantity of food per plate.

Oh did I mention it tasted great??? ;)

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Same country club gig for the past 4 years. Great $, a mile from the house (the back way). Packed house, over at 1:00AM. No worry about wifey, she's the singer. Happy New Year to all!

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

On a side note, it's obscene what these places make on NYE. For people just showing up, $25/head. If you reserve a table, it comes out to $50/head. Place holds 450, was full, line of probably 100 people waiting to get in any given time, and they'd let people in as others left. I figure they pulled $15k just at the door. Now we got paid well, but still...

That's amazing. But I've never worked a room that charged $50 a head before, except when opening for a name act.

Most of the rooms I work consider NYE a wash since it cannibalizes the nights that surround it - in particular the first week or two in January.

My little DJ job last night started turning them away at 10:30, but it only charged $5 a head - not $50.

Last night was $200 for a 4 top, $240 if you made your reservations after Christmas. They weren't even selling singles, but they sold out. This was just for the back room of the club. General admission was $25 a head, and at 10pm, they opened the back room to anybody....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

We played a NYE wedding reception up in Frankenmuth MI last night. Frankenmuth is a regional tourist attraction with a strange kluge of german-ish architecture, food and a huge year round Christmas decoration store. We played in the banquet hall at the Bavarian Inn. Great food, decent beer, a crowd of roughly 200 who were definitely making the most of the evening.

It was somewhat of a band outing as well - several of us did rooms, brought our wives and made a bit of an event out of the evening for us as well. It ended up being a pretty good time.

The SpaceNorman :freak:

We played a NYE wedding reception up in Frankenmuth MI last night. Frankenmuth is a regional tourist attraction with a strange kluge of german-ish architecture, food and a huge year round Christmas decoration store. We played in the banquet hall at the Bavarian Inn. Great food, decent beer, a crowd of roughly 200 who were definitely making the most of the evening.

It was somewhat of a band outing as well - several of us did rooms, brought our wives and made a bit of an event out of the evening for us as well. It ended up being a pretty good time.

SpaceNorman has Great Chops and I am sure his band is awesome.

BTW: Patrick, I have matured musically since 2004. :wave:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I have never played a worse gig in my life than this New Year's Eve, but as this is a publicly searchable function I will not go into details. :-)

The main thing is that the crowd had a good time, and we got paid. :-)

The gig was out of my control (and that of the bandleader) -- we were mostly backing other people who came up to the stage. It was a no-alcohol event except for champagne at midnight, so I'd hate to see those people drunk!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Finally reporting in, as I spent a lot of the holidays fighting a nasty virus while still gigging!

My NYE was spent entirely in Wales with a double-header. First, solo, an afternoon civil partnership reception at a country house, then up to a reasonably upmarket hotel with my friend's band for the evening.

Both very satisfactory gigs, apart from feeling ill and not seeing my bed until 4am due to the three-hour drive home!

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

I turned down a gig but then got it back when my other gig cancelled. My sub on the first gig got sick and I had already told him a month ago I was available if he got another gig or if something happened. So I ended up with a great NYE gig that seemed to last 5 minutes and was over too soon. I'm pulling into my driveway, got pulled over by the local gestapo, frisked me and put me in the Crown Vic's backseat, checked my clean tags and record and let me go. January will be busy for me, thankfully.

....I'm pulling into my driveway, got pulled over by the local gestapo, frisked me and put me in the Crown Vic's backseat, checked my clean tags and record and let me go.....
Good thing you didn't have any Crown Royal before you got tossed in the Crown Vic. :rimshot:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Archived