Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

It's New Year's Eve - R U Giggin'?

ITGITC

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
P.S. Anything cool to do in Pittsburgh tonight/tomorrow during the day? I know it's 11 PM here but it's 8 PM in my body. I've heard I should get a primanti sandwich? Kanker?

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Yes and January has filled up nicely. It seems in the past January has typically been a slower month for me. I always attributed to post holiday burnout and weather concerns. But not this year.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I've heard I should get a primanti sandwich?

Yes. Yes you should. I recommend the capicola with egg :thu:

Hmm, other things to do... The Warhol Museum is a pretty cool place (though I've never actually been there!) Also the Natural History and Art Museums up in Oakland.

The Strip District (where the original Primanti's is located) has lots of other good dining options as well. I would recommend Pamela's Diner if you're looking for a good breakfast.

Ride the Mon Incline up to Mount Washington to get a spectacular view of the city.

If you're in the mood for a drink you could head over to the South Side. Carson Street is loaded with bars, and should still be pretty happenin' even though most of the college kids are out of town for winter break. If you like good beer, go to Fat Head's Saloon (the grub is pretty good there as well). There's also a Hofbrauhaus at the far end of the South Side (around 27th street) which is always packed.

Hope you have a good gig! :cool:

P.S. Anything cool to do in Pittsburgh tonight/tomorrow during the day? I know it's 11 PM here but it's 8 PM in my body. I've heard I should get a primanti sandwich? Kanker?
Yes, you must go to Primanti Bros, and take a walk around the Strip in the process. Must do.

I'm playing NYE - picked up the gig a couple of weeks ago.... :eek:

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

My band is playing at a club in nearby Winfield, Indiana. It's a smaller venue but has a great vibe for live music (my favorite in the area). My band has been killing there the last few times we have played, hence the offer to play NYE. The $$$ isn't so hot, but it should be fun!

Tony, you are a madman, god luv you!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

yeah.... once again, the local country band :tired:. Of course I'll play it like I'm in the arena with Garth Brooks, with rig to match. Doing the pro thing; always. Hey, it's gig; some folks that want one don't have one. So I'm glad to have the work.

But next year, my wish list includes something closer to this gig (my old band from the midwest, circa 2007):

[video:youtube]

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Yes and January has filled up nicely. It seems in the past January has typically been a slower month for me. I always attributed to post holiday burnout and weather concerns. But not this year.

Yeah January has typically been the slowest month for me also, but I'm playing the next four weekends including NYE.

We play for free. We get paid to set up and tear down.

Picked up a freelance gig at the last minute. Playing the Algonquin Arts Theatre in Manasquan, NJ. The gig is w/ "Moments of Motown". Should be a great time. I hear the venue is really nice.

My calendar is packed and has been booked solid w/ mostly freelance gigs. Just played 2 nights in Stow, Vt. @ the "Rusty Nail" on Tuesday and Wed. I`m greatful to be working. Here`s to all my friends here. Happy New Year.

Motif ES7

Korg Triton Pro76

Roland Fantom X8

CP -33

Custom B-3 Chop w/ 145 Leslie

No gig for me. I'd rather be home with my wife. I normally don't book NYE unless it's either a super nice venue or spectacular $$, preferably both.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

My band is playing a high society event at an oceanfront hotel ballroom. If they have the amount of attendees they are predicting, it should be a good party. Regardless, the pay is good, they are comping us ocean view rooms and a nice sit-down dinner (soooo much better than the typical bandwich).

It is a bittersweet gig since my band plans to dissolve early in 2011 after we finish committed gigs. But we're leaving the door cracked should anything out of the ordinary happen to keep the band going.

If it was me, I would pick the "True Grit" remake. :wave:

I would like that, not sure about my gal. The other local theatre also has "Black Swan". Anyone seen it?

I would like to see Tron for nostalgia sake. Taking a gal to see "Tron" would be like taking a gal to a RUSH concert, it just doesn't happen. :laugh:

No NYE gig - big treat to stay home the past few years after 25 NYEs in a row back in the day.

I am playing a set of belly-rubbing swamp pop tunes, waltzes, and a couple Cajun two-steps with some friends on Jan 1 at an all day fundraiser for our music cooperative.

All the best to all of you in the new year.

Roger

If it was me, I would pick the "True Grit" remake. :wave:

I would like that, not sure about my gal. The other local theatre also has "Black Swan". Anyone seen it?

I would like to see Tron for nostalgia sake. Taking a gal to see "Tron" would be like taking a gal to a RUSH concert, it just doesn't happen. :laugh:

Sorry to get too far off topic, but I couldn't resist...

A couple years ago, my bandmates and I took a road trip to see Rush in St. Louis. It was what I imagined a Rush concert to look like...lots of music nerd guys and very few women.

But sitting next to us was a couple that looked about 30: Tall, burly athletic guy and his very hot, blonde petite wife. Picture a college football player and his cheerleader girlfriend, but 10 years later. So the concert starts, and the girl starts shaking her fist and honest to god, she knew every word to every song for the next 2.5 hours. And the guy sat there as bored as can be. A very refreshing role reversal. And of course, we were all in love.

Nord Stage 3 88, Korg Kronos 2 61, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

No gig tonight- just my "house gig" Sat & Sun (playing at church). 1st NYE I haven't played in a long time. Wife & I aren't sure what to do. Going to a bar doesn't hold much appeal, & I think we're too late to find other friends as lame as us that haven't made plans yet. We might go see a movie.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

No gig for me. I'm thinkin about taking my best gal out to the movies, except they all look crappy. Here's the local theatre's showings:

Help Cygnus pick a movie

I have some recording sessions on the 4th and 5th, which I find pleasing. :cool:

I'd go with "The Fighter."

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Nope.

Hip joint recovery forces me to stay at home.

Starting w/ a dinner, I´ll spend the evening watching some live concerts in german TV.

8:00 Rolling Stones

9:15 Paul McCartney

10:15 Phil Collins (maybe)

11:00 Bruce Springsteen & E Street Band (a part of ...)

11:30 Sting Live in Berlin feat. Royal Philharmonic Orchestra which is a highlight I hope.

Some wine and easy going into 2011.

Upcomming glaze announced for the streets after temperatures raised a bit over the day and now drop down again.

Means, you don´t get cabs for hrs later,- refused the party invitation ...

So, happy new year, health, lots of love and success in 2011 to y´all !

A.C.

Just got back from our gig at the local Surf Lifesaving Club. As we were packing up the singer and guitarist had a massive argument and vowed to never play together again! We have a booking in 2 days time :-0

Could be temporary Yuletide holiday stress...but it's been brewing awhile.

"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

No gig for me. I'm thinkin about taking my best gal out to the movies, except they all look crappy. Here's the local theatre's showings:

Help Cygnus pick a movie

I have some recording sessions on the 4th and 5th, which I find pleasing. :cool:

Go see Tron!! It's such a cool movie, I don't see how your wife couldn't like it. The 3D experience is pretty awesome, as is Daft Punk's score.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Archived