Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The studioblade

zahush76

I guess this is not new, but here i go anyway:

The studio blade workstation

Seems like another one of those neko\meko whatever, but it costs about half. After mailing a question to the company about compatibility, they said since it runs on windows 7 64 bit you can install whatever you like on it: cubase, komplete 7, omnisphere, trilian, scarbee etc.

Did you here about this thing? What do you think about it?

On paper it seems like it beats any other workstation out there.

Vermona Perfourmer mkii, Nord Stage 3 76

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to say... it's a new company. But do you know anyone who bought a Meko/Neko?

http://news.softpedia.com/images/news2/StudioBLADE-and-iKeyDOCK-Music-Keyboard-Workstations-Released-by-Music-Computing-2.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I guess this is not new, but here i go anyway:

The studio blade workstation

Seems like another one of those neko\meko whatever, but it costs about half. After mailing a question to the company about compatibility, they said since it runs on windows 7 64 bit you can install whatever you like on it: cubase, komplete 7, omnisphere, trilian, scarbee etc.

Did you here about this thing? What do you think about it?

On paper it seems like it beats any other workstation out there.

Hmm,- starting at USD 2.599.-

Well, it makes me smile ...

Core i5 or Core2Duo, dual channel RAM only,- thx.

"starting at" means you´d get the lowest tech spec model available for that price,- w/ a USB2 audio interface ...

USB2 is consumer electronics as is Firewire (even is better than USB).

I´d get a Intel i7, excellent PSU and mainbord, 2x DVI graphics card, triple channel RAM, 3 hi end harddrives, DVD optical drive, hi end PCIe audio/midi interface, the OS,- all built into a rackmount case w/ excellent fans,- a MIDI keyboard tactile controller of my choice incl. all knobs and faders and a great screen, keyboard and mouse for that price easily.

There are no top secret tweaks to a Windows XP or Win 7 OS which let the machine handle more plugins than the processor is able to calculate.

I´d never buy these solutions.

For me it is,- create a stylish case, drill in some holes, throw in a Fatar keyboard and all the hardware of a PC.

Buy all parts in high quantity and buy outdated ones, also buy cheap audio/midi interfaces and some plastic small parts and sell all for a kingdom as a "hi-end workstation".

A.C.

triple channel RAM

What's the importance of a triple channel ram?

About the studioblade - i wasn't planning on getting one. Just wanted to know if anyone has heard about it.

I'm now about to buy the pc. It's down to two optional models:

1) intel i7 950, 6gb of ram, x58 intel mother board (triple channel)

2) intel i7 870, 4gb of ram, h55 intel motherboard.

Both computers have 2 hardrives (one with 500gb and the other 1 tera, both sata 3), texas instruments firewire, silent parts etc.

The main difference is in power - and therefore in price.

Like i said before, as someone who's just getting started with music production on the computer just as a hobby , i was told the second model is more than enough to get me busy for years to come, and that the first model is overkill.

I can buy the better model (although i have to consider i got to have some money aside for software, and a proper screen), but the question is if it isn't really overkill. As a beginner - the gamble is wether i'm going to continue with it or not. If not - than the larger my investment is - the larger the loss.

What would you have done?

Like i said before, as someone who's just getting started with music production on the computer just as a hobby , i was told the second model is more than enough to get me busy for years to come, and that the first model is overkill.

As a hobby, both of those specs are overkill.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread. :snax:

Why is this overkill? That mobo/RAM combo will take him well into the future with plenty of capacity to spare.

My opinion anyway.

If he's doing it as a hobby, he could get by with a 2-year-old computer, running Cubase LE with a 2-channel USB audio interface. It was working just fine 2 years ago for folks doing "pro" work.

Of course, then he wouldn't be able to brag about the 'cutting edge' system that he has. :snax:

I wouldn't be that cynical, Sven. Although you are factually correct, there's nothing wrong with wanting to future proof one's computer as much as possible. The term "Hobby" in this context is relative, as is the term "overkill".

Not dogging you, dude...just pointing out an alternate viewpoint.

"For instance" is not proof.

Why is this overkill? That mobo/RAM combo will take him well into the future with plenty of capacity to spare.

My opinion anyway.

If he's doing it as a hobby, he could get by with a 2-year-old computer, running Cubase LE with a 2-channel USB audio interface. It was working just fine 2 years ago for folks doing "pro" work.

Of course, then he wouldn't be able to brag about the 'cutting edge' system that he has. :snax:

Hi sven.

First of all, i'm not looking for a computer just to have something to brag about.

About the strength of the computer - you can also take the computer prodigy used for their first album - and look what great music could be done with it. Does that mean that i should use a 17 year old computer?

You say the Neko did not fly? But it does and did. The top keyboard players are using them since they run any virtual syth or keyboard software available and can be tweaked beyond belief. I've seen too many pro bands in Houston using them on the stage. Normal musicians can't afford them but the pro's can and do.

You people really need to keep up with technology.

About the strength of the computer - you can also take the computer prodigy used for their first album - and look what great music could be done with it. Does that mean that i should use a 17 year old computer?

It doesn't mean you should, it means you could. Please stop missing the point. All too often folks think they need the latest and greatest to make music, when you can easily make music with a 10-year-old computer and the appropriate software.

"It's a poor craftsman that blames the tools."

I wouldn't be that cynical, Sven. Although you are factually correct, there's nothing wrong with wanting to future proof one's computer as much as possible. The term "Hobby" in this context is relative, as is the term "overkill".

Not dogging you, dude...just pointing out an alternate viewpoint.

You're absolutely right, 09... but Zahush has a history of chasing after (at least via posts) the coolest, latest synths... and it appears as though the PC build threads he's posting are merely more of the same. Just trying to put a little perspective lest he fall into analysis paralysis yet again.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

(sorry, Synthoid didn't post enough of these, and I was afraid you'd miss yet another point...)

You say the Neko did not fly? But it does and did. The top keyboard players are using them since they run any virtual syth or keyboard software available and can be tweaked beyond belief. I've seen too many pro bands in Houston using them on the stage. Normal musicians can't afford them but the pro's can and do.

Well, let's leave aside for a moment the fact that I find them hideous (especially the gold plated ones). If you are seeing them onstage with "pro" bands locally, it must be the Neko center of the universe. My impression was that they were all going to hip hop producers.

But they certainly didn't make it "fly" enough to keep the company going. Yeah I know somebody bought the assets and the website is still up, but that doesn't mean anything.

The concept itself is fatally flawed from a commercial point of view. It takes so long to bring an engineering project to market, that the hardware will always be outdated and too expensive.

They should instead be doing an elaborate controller which either connects to software on your laptop, or to more standard rack mount computers which can be easily upgraded.

Moe

---

All too often folks think they need the latest and greatest to make music

You're right about this sven, but i think an i7 950 with 6gb of ram is far from what you call the "latest and greatest". There are computers with stronger i7 proccessors, more ram, ssd hard drives etc.

For me it's a sort of a gamble. It's logical to buy a computer that will last for 4-5 years. Question is if the i7 870 is enough or not. Stuff like omnisphere and trillian etc - demand a lot from the system.

But then again - people are still making great music using a core 2 duo. So there you have it.

Getting back to the question posed:

triple channel ram - the new Intel higher end processors have the capability of supporting three sets of RAM at once instead of two - adds some speed, but ONLY worthwile if everything all through it optimized. This link provides a summary that might be interesting. http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/15967

For what you are wanting, it is likely that either system mentioned would be quite sufficient. Personally, for private use (i.e. not a studio where I was trying to run as many tracks simultaneously as the state of the art would allow), I'd probably go with the lower priced of the two systems.

As to the question of overkill - I consult and service computer systems and networks for a livlihood. Gets down to a price vs performance issue, complicated by expected life span. Spend money on a low ball system - obsolete more quickly. Spend money on the very top end (unless required) - becomes obsolete anyhow because of factors not available when bought. So - my counsel it go somewhere in the middle. The "sweet spot" is likely to be at or slightly above the half way point.

I'd also want to know just how much RAM each motherboard CAN support - in case I wanted to add more later. New types ofRAM usually start out very high priced, then become commodity items at lower prices (and finally go high again when obsolete and no longer being made).

Doesn't matter if your use is just as a hobby or as a pro. As long as you keep spending down to a point that recognises all your other obligations - have at it. The majority of what I personally do on the computer music wise can still be done on my OLD DAW with a 3G Pentium 4 and XP - but I do like the performance of the newer one. Neither of them was ultra-high end.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I'm a little more comfortable with separate components myself. With something like the Neko or Studioblade, if any one part of it goes does, it's ALL down and you're playing uke the rest of the gig...

With separates, if one component goes down, swap it out and you're back up and running.

I know you're taking some risk with a bunch of external cables interconnecting everything, but better to quickly be able to swap to a backup computer, keyboard, hard drive, whatever... (you DO make backups, right?) and keep going than have your entire rig down because one component fails and it's not as reparable in the field as you hoped...

Of course, the really rich pros could (and probably do) carry two identically configured Nekos or Studioblades I suppose.

My two cents anyway...

Les Mizzell

----------------------------------------------

What's the importance of a triple channel ram?

I´d say there´s no "importance" that way you should avoid dual channel RAM for a DAW,- but triple channel RAM is faster because there are 3 channels for simultaneously access instead of only 2.

About the studioblade - i wasn't planning on getting one. Just wanted to know if anyone has heard about it.

It was also for me the 1st occasion to have a look.

Also, my comments didn´t mean "don´t buy", that´s a personal decision,- I only said "I won´t buy".

I'm now about to buy the pc. It's down to two optional models:

1) intel i7 950, 6gb of ram, x58 intel mother board (triple channel)

2) intel i7 870, 4gb of ram, h55 intel motherboard.

Depending on a selection of a computer for audio/midi AND sample streaming, today, I´d go for the fastest solution I can afford.

Intel i7 processors, triple channel RAM and a x58 mobos offer some advantages over the cheaper solutions in regards of direct access of the RAM by the processor.

There´s a difference in motherboard layouts and sockets which has it´s reason.

For me, it´s hard to explain in english and tech wise and it would lead in a very long post,- so you´d better google or contact a experienced DAW builder.

In any case, you´d be more satisfied w/ the cheapest i7 920 and a minimum of 3GB (for 32bit systems) or 6GB (for 64bit systems) triple channel RAM on a x58 mobo than w/ a i5 solution and dual channel RAM or a i7 solution and dual channel RAM,- IF you plan to use/stream large sample libraries w/ articulations in realtime.

In addition, any quad core processor surpasses any dual core processor in sample processing anyway.

If you´d be happy only playing some VSTis, you´d be fine w/ a dual core, if it´s cache is big enough.

The cache is responsible for the voice count (polyphony).

Both computers have 2 hardrives (one with 500gb and the other 1 tera, both sata 3), texas instruments firewire, silent parts etc.

The main difference is in power - and therefore in price.

1st,- if you don´t plan to use a Firewire audio/MIDI interface, you don´t need that Firewire at all.

Even a PCI card interface has more bandwidth than Firewire and PCIe tops in addition.

2nd, hobby or not,- you´ll come to the point the demands increase, so you better look for something you can use for some years.

I can buy the better model (although i have to consider i got to have some money aside for software, and a proper screen), but the question is if it isn't really overkill. As a beginner - the gamble is wether i'm going to continue with it or not. If not - than the larger my investment is - the larger the loss.

That´s absolutely right and wise !

What would you have done?

My experience when I was a beginner and buyed my 1st DAW machine from "a recommended company specialized on DAW building":

It was shit and expensive and far away from plug ´n play !

I returned the toy after a long discussion via email, grabbed the refunded money, found a guy who had the knowledge to assemble a machine, went w/ him to the shops to buy the components, and surprise,- I had a faster machine incl. 2 screens and Matrox DH graphics card, 3 HDs, optical drive, floppy drive, wireless kbd & wireless optical mouse and OS included which runs up today.

It´s a rackmount and the installation of OS and Cubase were included as well as a 2 day stress test.

Meanwhile, I have 4 PCs here and tell you what,- all the other 3, even better, were much cheaper.

And yes, in theory, you would be fine as a beginner w/ a outdated WinXP pro 32Bit machine and dual channel RAM and eventually a single core processor or dual core,- I have such machines here and they work great for audio/midi.

But that´s all old components inside and what happens if they die ?

So,- is that a good idea to buy or build something like this now ? No.

If I were you and look for something to learn and for a hobby, I´d go the DIY route w/ help of an already experienced "friend" and give him 200 bucks to set up the machine for you.

Is the cheapest way and if you decide to quit making music w/ computers later,- it will be a useful office machine anyway.

Depending on software, you can waste a lot of money too, so be careful.

There´s a lot of really good freeware out there for PC which allows you to do great recordings, MIDI w/ VSTis, processing w/ VSTfx and mastering your creations incl. CD/DVD burning.

Go over to the Reaper forum and read the threads, there are tons of useful tips in reagrds of computers, sequencer, VST and so on.

Look for posts of Mr. Jim Roseberry commenting on processors, harddrives and such. He´s a well known DAW builder in the US.

You´ll find all the info you need w/ some time investment and it saves a lot of money.

A.C.

Which reminds me... is there someone around here smart enough to tell me what the heck a midi is? :laugh:

Visit a GC and let the sales clerk explain to you all the details of M1D1. :D

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

Archived