Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Sturdy stand for putting keyboard against wall?

Tom717

Hello all, I am in the market for a new stand and just wanted to check in and see if I could get any specific advice. I have my CP300 set up against a wall in my room right now and am facing 2 main problems:

• My X-stand leaves no room for my knees
  • My space is limited and the feet of the stand push the keyboard a good 5 inches away from the wall, instead of right up next to it

Basically I would like the base of my new stand to be no deeper than my keyboard is, if possible, while still providing the most support possible.

I have read through every stand thread I could find here and got a lot of information from those. People seem to love the Z stands, but from what I can tell their long feet may push my keyboard even farther away from the wall. The monolith also looks like it would be a bit too deep to get my keyboard snugly up against the wall. (Would I be right in thinking both of these, or am I just being deceived by the perspective in the pictures I've seen? :confused: )

The only real two options I think I have are the On-Stage WS8550 and the $200 K&M stand. Does this sound right, or are there other options out there I should look into? I think I've done some good research, but just wanted to see if there's something obvious I'm missing, or if a Z or monolith stand would in fact work.

Thanks a lot! :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure why the K&M is so much more than this one. It could be worth it, but I can't say why if it is.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I have owned the WS550 for several years. It would be ideal given the criteria you're stating. Can't speak to the Z stand option as I've never used one.

Agree with Joe about K&M - I like the look of several Konig & Meyer stands (their Spider Pro and Baby Spider, among others) , but am not sure their price points justify the value.

I have owned the WS550 for several years. It would be ideal given the criteria you're stating.

+1 - the WS550 is ideal for your situation.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I have owned the WS550 for several years. It would be ideal given the criteria you're stating.

+1 - the WS550 is ideal for your situation.

+2

(edit to be clear: I'm referring to the QuikLok WS550, assuming everyone else above is as well ;) )

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/files/WS550.jpg

The CP300 will happily sit firmly on this stand right up against the wall, meaning your only concern is leaving sufficient space for audio/MIDI/pedal/power connectors. :thu:

And the name of a good carpenter to fix the studs and drywall that come crashing down when you try to put the 72 pound CP300 on that wall mount. :thu:

:snax:

Well, the tier holds 100 Lbs. If mounted in the studs, should be no problem. Seriously!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Well, the tier holds 100 Lbs. If mounted in the studs, should be no problem. Seriously!

I didn't see any such spec when I checked the website, but supporting the keyboard and supporting the keyboard while it's being played are vastly different proposals. 72 lbs + the force exerted while playing = a chance I personally would not want to take, thanks just the same. :)

I live in a 100yr old house..and it's new. My old one was built in 1885. Not worried about the walls holding a little keyboard and your girly touch. But I forget some of you live in these modern cardboard boxes.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I'm giving thumbs up for K&M. I have the same stand, and on my last gig it saved my whole rig. A drunk guy was dancing&prancing right next to me - and eventually fell. Right on my rig. The stand budged 4-5cm to the right, but that was all. I continued playing like nothing happened (although I almost punched the guy)

The stand that can withstand a drunk guy falling on it gets a plus in my book.

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Many thanks to all for the advice, this is great stuff! :snax:

I'm not sure why the K&M is so much more than this one. It could be worth it, but I can't say why if it is.
That was also initially an attractive choice, but after reading through all of the threads, consensus seemed to be that it isn't very stable or well-built.

Re: the wallmount. That is very interesting. It seems like it would be perfect for what I need, but I would like something I can bring to school or use in other situations as well. Still, I may look into that.

Re: the WS550. Any word on the Quik-Lok 550 (top) vs. the On-Stage 8550 I posted (bottom)? I'm kind of wary of the Quik-Lok brand, but I don't know if On-Stage is any better:

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/files/WS550.jpg

http://www.onstagestands.com/catalog/assets/product_images/800-600/40431_WS8550_OSS_main.png

Thanks again for the help! :)

I have no experience with the On-Stage 8550 so I can't comment on it. I've not had any bad experiences with other OnStage gear. The table stand that Joe linked to is really stable in my experience.

Stay away from the Apex version of the 550 that you might come across. It's not very reliable, although it looks almost the same.

My WS550 has been, and still is, rock-solid and I've had it a few years now. QuikLok also has quite a few accessories, like upper tiers and speaker stands, that can be added to the basic stand.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I didn't see any such spec when I checked the website, but supporting the keyboard and supporting the keyboard while it's being played are vastly different proposals. 72 lbs + the force exerted while playing = a chance I personally would not want to take, thanks just the same. :)

Yet people will trust their studs to mount a huge TV.

I seriously doubt, if done properly, that this stand couldn't withstand the most forceful playing. That said, some people are not real handy and that's perfectly understandable. I'd do the work myself and trust it, but that's me.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

And the name of a good carpenter to fix the studs and drywall that come crashing down when you try to put the 72 pound CP300 on that wall mount. :thu:

:snax:

Thanks for posting this. Might be able to use it in my studio to save a bit of space for the keys that stay home. My house is circa 1956, so overbuilt in most cases. The wall in question has drywall, and behind it is 3/4" plywood that spans across multiple supporting studs (guy was insane). :thu:

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I use the on stage table stand at home with my PX-330. Never had any issues with it. It used to hold a Prokeys 88 which is a lot heavier. For gigs I use a Z stand.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

When was the last time you repeatedly struck the top of your TV, Dan? :rolleyes:

I seriously doubt, if done properly, that this stand couldn't withstand the most forceful playing. That said, some people are not real handy and that's perfectly understandable. I'd do the work myself and trust it, but that's me.

So when can the O.P. expect you at their home to do the install? :snax:

You can always mount a third rail if you're concerned about stability Sven ;)

That's what she said. ;)

Seriously, though, what if the OP decides to move it 3' to the right, or needs to move it to the opposite wall? Permanent installs like that require a certain amount of commitment. Then what if he wants to take it to a gig? Does him absolutely squat in that situation.

But hey, it's Christmas, so why shouldn't the carpenters among us be right? :snax:

Listen, I don't know if the guy wants it to be movable or permanent, but he said he wanted it as close as possible to the wall. So if permanent is a possibility, then that's as close as you're going to get.

Each tier can hold a 100lb keyboard. I doubt a keyboard stand manufacturer is going to give it a rating under the assumption that said 100lb keyboard cannot be played. The wall mount rails can support up to 3 tiers. One would have to assume they are designed to support at least 300lbs. As far as the studs, I don't know about you, but I've mounted shelves to the studs and have loaded them up with 100's of pounds of stuff.

Dan

I was serious about the concrete blocks, or equal.

There is no weight capacity issue.

The money you save on not buying a wall hugger stand you can now invest in a normal X or Z stand or whatever, which would be more portable when going out, and probably cheaper.

My X-stand leaves no room for my knees
BTW, I think this means you're sitting too close to the keyboard. If I'm not mistaken, your knees should be just under the front of the keyboard. An X stand doesn't prevent that.

feet of the stand push the keyboard a good 5 inches away from the wall, instead of right up next to it.
A hacksaw can cure that. For my 2nd tier, I have a single-X I use upside down and backwards, with what were the front feet hacked off. (Upside down because the feet bars extended farther than the top ones. Backwards so I can reach the latch when setting it up.)

Of course, there are plenty of good reasons not to want an X stand. The kind shown above look perfect.

Another stand you might look at is the Yamaha LG800. It is specifically designed for Yamaha keyboards such as the CP-1/CP-5, Motif 8, etc. I do not know if it works as well with the CP300 but it's worth investigating. My guess is it will work fine. You can see in the picture rounded holes on the top ends of the stand. This is where the large rubber feet of the keyboard go. It makes for a snug fit. The width can be adjusted to fit your particular keyboard. Also, and this is very important, the height can be adjusted so the the keys are the proper 29" for the floor. On most stands, the lowest setting is still too high with these weighted action keyboards. I have used it with both a CP-1 and Motif XF8 and it works very well.

http://data.yamaha.jp/sdb/product/image/main/medium/l/lg-800/3D8022CF63C04266A8063C3FC82AEC85_12001.jpg

It is expensive at $299. I would not recommended it as a stand that your going to be gigging with as it's heavy and is not that quick/easy to set up. But for semi-permanent home use it is very solid.

LG-800

According to the website it has been discontinued but I picked up one a few months ago so they might still be available.

Busch.

When was the last time you repeatedly struck the top of your TV, Dan? :rolleyes:

So when can the O.P. expect you at their home to do the install? :snax:

It's not about the banging- how much force do you use when you play? It's not that much even if you are pounding out Jerry Lee Lewis parts. It's about shear force on the hardware that goes into the studs, and if the right hardware is used, it can withstand far more force than we can put on it.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Well I think that'll do it - it looks like I'm going to go with the WS550, not only for stability but also portability and aesthetics. That's a nice looking stand and it got more support from other forums online, plus $70 shipped isn't bad at all. Thanks again for all of your input, I appreciate it!

Archived