Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What Kind of Pick Do You Use?

TuskBuffer

Ok, so I'm trying to resurrect a business I had years ago making guitar picks, so I'd like to know what are the most used picks out there among "real" guitar players like the ones on this site. I'd like to maybe have 5-10 styles that I make exclusively.

As for me, I primarily use one similar to a Dunlop "Jazz" pick

Here's what I've got so far on the list:

Dunlop Jazz

Dunlop Big Stubby 3mm

Standard shapes/sizes (Fender, Dunlop, Taylor--1mm-2mm)

Special for Skip...Dugain!

Tying to remember what Myles uses...2mm Stubby?

You've got the best guitar

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

http://www.tuskbuffer.net

TuskBuffer Mammoth Ivory Guitar Picks

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I use snakewood, rosewood, ram horn and ebony picks generally. I generally go through brossardpicks, but if you make some ill try them out. When I (albeit rarely) go to more "normal" style picks, I use the red or black jazz IIIs by dunlop.

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Sorry, I only use my fingernails anymore.

Well, I guess I'll be needing a cast of your fingernails--I'll call it the "Frasernail!" ;)

I use snakewood, rosewood, ram horn and ebony picks generally. I generally go through brossardpicks, but if you make some ill try them out. When I (albeit rarely) go to more "normal" style picks, I use the red or black jazz IIIs by dunlop.

The material I make my picks out of is prehistoric Woolly Mammoth ivory (I don't think I mentioned that before). I've also got rosewood, ebony and other hardwoods on hand--maybe I'll look into broadening my horizons a bit...mammoth ivory is certainly a finite resource, after all!

So what kind of shapes/sizes are your hardwood picks? Random sizes or are they patterned after more traditional picks?

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

Tee yellow Tortex picks work really well for me, I think they are 72mm. I also like picks made by a company that puts the word "Cool" on them, medium gauge. They are made of some sort of hard white composite material. I have one that I think is made of ivory, but it's very thick and I only use it for playing bass.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

The material I make my picks out of is prehistoric Woolly Mammoth ivory (I don't think I mentioned that before). I've also got rosewood, ebony and other hardwoods on hand--maybe I'll look into broadening my horizons a bit...mammoth ivory is certainly a finite resource, after all!

So what kind of shapes/sizes are your hardwood picks? Random sizes or are they patterned after more traditional picks?

Most of them are normal-sized picks. I love the small size, but I also go through the normal sized hardwood picks so much that it would be a waste of time using jazz-pick-sized ones. You can see what they're like on brossard's website. If you could make me a mammoth-ivory pick, how much would you charge for one? I'm excited to see what that would sound like, as I've tried ram horn picks, antler picks, and bone picks (from cows), and they all have different sounds to them :)

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

If you could make me a mammoth-ivory pick, how much would you charge for one? I'm excited to see what that would sound like, as I've tried ram horn picks, antler picks, and bone picks (from cows), and they all have different sounds to them :)

I've made picks out of different materials--antler, blacklip pearl, buffalo horn, others I can't think of right now, and yes, they all do sound and feel different. In my experience, nothing even comes close to mammoth ivory for sound, feel and playability. One feature is that they actually grip your fingers bettter when your fingers are wet and sweaty--unlike how plastic and others materials get slippery and sloppy, so you have a LOT more control with ivory.

My picks run $20 for Jazz size, $25 for regular standard size, and well worth every penny. I'm thinking of offering members of this site $5 off until the end of the year. I just started working on the website, not up and ready yet, but let me know if you want one and I'll give you the discounted price :D Same goes for others reading this also, of course!

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

I've been using the Dunlop Ultex Sharp lately. I really like the sharp point and the Ultex seems to last longer than the Tortex.

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/sharp

I like the shape of that--I'll have to pick one up and work it into the lineup--thanks!

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

Ok, so I'm trying to resurrect a business I had years ago making guitar picks, so I'd like to know what are the most used picks out there among "real" guitar players like the ones on this site. I'd like to maybe have 5-10 styles that I make exclusively.

As for me, I primarily use one similar to a Dunlop "Jazz" pick

Here's what I've got so far on the list:

Dunlop Jazz

Dunlop Big Stubby 3mm

Standard shapes/sizes (Fender, Dunlop, Taylor--1mm-2mm)

Special for Skip...Dugain! :D

Tying to remember what Myles uses...2mm Stubby?

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I use either Fender heavy or mediums. Never tried a wood pick. Sounds intriguing.

And has anybody used that guitar pick that actor Billy Gray was supposed to have invented? What's THAT all about?

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Hey Tusk, I'll take it. Whadda I need to do? :P

Thanks Grey! Send me a PM w/ your name and address and what pick you'd like (Jazz, I'm assuming?). If you have PayPal, let me have your email and I'll send an invoice. I'm going to be working on the site more today, hopefully will at least be somewhat functional in the next few days.

I use various weights of these...

Man, those Star Picks are cool--I can see how the hole in the middle would help keep the pick from getting sloppy--is that the purpose?

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

Years ago, when I was subscribing regularly to Guitar Player, they did a layout on the picks of 100 top players.

The diversity was amazing. There were plenty of garden-variety picks, of course, but also exotic items like a thick chunk of plexiglass, Billy Gibbon's peso, and other weird items.

Man, those Star Picks are cool--I can see how the hole in the middle would help keep the pick from getting sloppy--is that the purpose?

The points of the star seem to grip your fingers better than a simple hole. Plus it allows you to pinch the pick between your fingers through finger to finger contact.

I used to use Fender Mediums, but for me they seemed to become slippery after a while. I tried roughing them up with sand paper but after discovering Star Picks I've never used anything else.

Dan

"I hate what I've become, trying to escape who I am..."

I also use Brossard picks in Ebony, Ram Horn, and Cocobalo. I'd like to see a pick that is big and has the edges that come to a point rather than a rounded edge. I'm in for a couple made from Prehistoric Woolly Mammoth just because that sounds cool ;-)

Sounds good, Killer--PM me with your info (name, address, PayPal email) and we'll work on what you're looking for. Sounds to me you're talking something similar to a Dunlop 2mm, with beveled edges coming to a point all the way around. I can do that. Or do you mean a point at the tip? I can do that too!

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

Hey tusk, what would you recommend size-wise for the mammoth ivory pick? the 1.3mm or 2mm? I ask because I worry that the 1.3 would break/grind faster and, while I have a decently light right hand, I tend to use and use and use such picks into the ground.

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

If comparing to ANY kind of hardwood, my mammoth ivory picks will outlast by a longshot. More durable than bone. It certainly won't break at that 1.3mm thickness, and I'll let you see how it wears. I think you'll be impressed, and I'd like to hear your thoughts once you've had a chance to use it :rawk:

In the end, it all boils down to what you're comfortable with. If the 1.3mm I'm sending you doesn't do it for you, send it back and I'll make it right!

You've got the best amp

Now get the best pick!

Archived