Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

45 Years Ago...

Geoff Grace

On December 7th, 1965, I sat down to my very first piano lesson.

I had already been begging for years for lessons, but I can hardly blame my parents for waiting until I was six to get me started. ;)

What a wonderful trek it's been since then! :cool:

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On December 7th, 1965, I sat down to my very first piano lesson.

I had already been begging for years for lessons, but I can hardly blame my parents for waiting until I was six to get me started. ;)

What a wonderful trek it's been since then! :cool:

Best,

Geoff

Happy 'birthday' to you Geoff -

when you have an ambition/aptitude for playing music, it's the most wonderful gift :)

don't you think?

I'm only 10 years away from that landmark myself!

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

You've been playing piano longer than I...

longer than I have, Geoff. ;)

Keep at it (you too, kanker). At some point, you'll figure it out and get good like I have. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I had already been begging for years for lessons,

Happy B'day Geoff. Great toddlers think alike :laugh:

My parents told me that at the age of 3 I sat and watched my older brother take his weekly piano lesson, and when they were done, I'd pull myself up on the bench and try to imitate what I'd heard. His teacher said she'd never heard of anyone starting a 3 year old, but I was obviously determined, so I began lessons with Marion Healy, one of Buffalo's most popular night club players of that era. My Dad even took me occasionally, to hear her play at Murphy's Omega Lounge, a lively little joint on Buffalo's notorious Chippewa Street.

Wow, sorry, I just wanted to extend well wishes, but you got me seriously reminiscing. :)

Damn, I can't remember the date of the first lesson, but I know I was 10 so...38 years for me.

Wow, I should be a lot better. (In fact, I think I was about 20 years ago...or maybe I just played more licks.) :poke:

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Congratulations, Geoff. On 45 years of discovery, as well as being able to recall the year and day of your first lesson (how did you do that?)!

Timely post for me. I answered today - with shock! - an online survey's question "How long have you played your instrument?" with "33 years" . . . Nothing of the sort had *ever* occurred to me.

U1 | NP | NS3 | NE3 HP | K10

61 years here - you'd think i would play better for that long a time.

Pablo Casals (at age 93), when asked why he still practices:

"I'm beginning to notice some improvement ..." :thu::laugh:

There's a quote of the week candidate!

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Thanks so much, everyone. It's nice to see that there are so many here who empathize with my joy today! (And not a bit surprising. ;) )

I spent the evening improvising and just playing for the fun of it. While I love making music for a living, it's rare that I play with no other purpose than to just play. How sweet it is!

I've got to do this more often.

Here's to many more years of making music--for all of us! :thu:

Best,

Geoff

Congratulations, Geoff. On 45 years of discovery, as well as being able to recall the year and day of your first lesson (how did you do that?)!

The year's not hard, and the day was Pearl Harbor Day--which was still quite a big deal back then, just 24 years after the "date which will live in infamy"--so that helped make the date of my first lesson memorable.

Best,

Geoff

I can't remember the exact date I started taking Organ lessons. I, too, was 6, so it's coming up on 48 years for me. I still have the Organ that I practiced on the first 2 weeks before my dad bought me a little Lowrey. It's an 1890 Story & Camp pump organ (my avatar). Every time I look at it sitting in my office/studio, I'm thankful that I have the ability to play.

I do, on the other hand, remember the date I STOPPED taking Organ lessons, and took the first step toward becoming a more complete musician. January 9, 1973, my 16th birthday. That was the day I stopped Organ lessons, and started Guitar lessons. Thanks to that, I started to understand the band dynamic, and where everything fit into the overall sound.

So, I understand the significence of your "Birthday", Geoff.

May you play as long as you want, and always find the time to play for no other purpose.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

I sometimes think (fantasize? :laugh:) about what would have happened if I was sick on the day they offered musical instrument demonstrations in my school. Where would my life be? Would I have become:

1. J Pennington Rothschild VI, billionaire Private Eye/Secret agent/jet-setter/Race Car driver, playing baccarat in Geneva with a bevy of buxom babes? Or:

2. "Dave" (on nametag), Walmart greeter and part-time Roadkill cleaner-upper, Del Rio TX?

Probably #2. :laugh:

My first lesson was also in 1965, but I'm not sure of the date. I know it was late fall and I know I was four, so yikes, I've been playing for 45 years myself!

Time flies when you're having fun!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

I started lessons in 1962(?) at a Chicago neighborhood music & dance school, under a little old german immigrant lady named Mrs. D. If she could only see me now. Here's a blast from past: Not long ago I was in a NPVL (you folks in this area know the town) music store browsing their music section and on an end cap found for sale the same little red practice assignment books (you know the ones I talking about?) I had bought and used with Mrs. D. I was warm from nostalgia. Bottom line, although practice was no fun when I was a kid, I couldn't be more grateful today for this gift.
Al, the Piano Guy

Archived