Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Groove Tubes Amp

ELP71

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have an MKI, which I picked up cheap. It's seriously lacks loudness, however, it's not not a bad little amp if you run through a mixer first to boost volume. the MKII is supposedly louder. If you run a clonewheel through a mixer to boost signal, and run the sub out line from the Spacestation to another amp, it makes for a decent virtual leslie with a the stereo effect that really will be noticeable in a small room.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I have had an MKII for a couple of years.At 200 watts per channel it does get loud.My bandmates for the first time have asked me to turn down!If you want bass you need a sub, since the cabinet is not very big.Some stages will boost the bass.Freq.response is down to 60, just not supported by the small cabinet.Spinning Leslie is much better than through a PA type speaker.Very happy with this little amp.

Kurzweil PC3 and the MKII, that's it!

Kurzweil PC4

I have had an MKII for a couple of years.At 200 watts per channel it does get loud.My bandmates for the first time have asked me to turn down!If you want bass you need a sub, since the cabinet is not very big.Some stages will boost the bass.Freq.response is down to 60, just not supported by the small cabinet.Spinning Leslie is much better than through a PA type speaker.Very happy with this little amp.

Interesting !

Would like to hear an audio demo of both.

Have to find a europaen dealer,- the price in US is unbelievable.

A.C.

Interesting !

Would like to hear an audio demo of both.

Have to find a europaen dealer,- the price in US is unbelievable.

A.C.

IMO, they're way overpriced....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

IMO, they're way overpriced....

Really? What do you think they should sell for?

My experience with it was that I thought it was very good for a niche... I thought it was a really nice amp to mate with a clonewheel. Reasonably light, reasonably loud, a tone that seemed to really work for organ, and a nice stereo effect for Leslie for those who aren't strictly mono-gamous. But piano sounded poor, very midrange-y.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I actually found some notes I made when I played through the SpaceStation Mk II... I A/B'd it with a Motion Sound KP-200S and I felt it was pretty comparable, at half the price (less at the moment) and half the weight. I found that the Motion Sound could go a bit louder if you cranked its stereo expand knob, but that didn't always produce desirable results, it could muddy the sound if you pushed it too much. I felt that both of them lacked bottom, and both were midrange-y, lacking open highs. So, again, piano is what most shows their weaknesses. Of course, organ amplification is what Motion Sound originally became known for, so maybe that's not surprising.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I've always been interested in the concept. At Sweetwater's blow out price, I decided to roll the dice and see what it's like. It'll be here in about a week.

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

Archived