Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Andromeda fun (and ribbon)

marino

Just for fun....

Since I recently revived my Andromeda, I visited the Electro-Music Andromeda forum... and found that someone was thinking of making a *black* front panel for his Andy.

I loved the mockups he posted, so I thought, just for fun, to mess a bit with Photoshop and find what colour I would like my Andromeda panel.

Here it is:

http://www.carlomezzanotte.com/imm/AndromedaBlueSmall.jpg

What about you? What altrnative colours you'd like for your synths?

Also: Do you know where I could find a new ribbon controller? Mine is starting to show some slight sign of wearing, so it would be nice to have a spare.

Thanks! :)

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was only one of those blue on blue overlays made, IIRC. That Aurora unit is so cool looking. :love:

I have one of the "Ultraman" red/silver units (the first Andy ever shown publicly at NAMM 2000) as well as a blue/silver unit. I'm the one who came up with the idea of having two different overlays - I preferred the red one, but more people wanted the blue...so, as the marketing manager of the division at the time, I decided to make 250 of the red ones only available during the first run.

The funny thing is, I made a joke at the time about how there'd be rumors on the 'net five years after the fact saying that people had heard the red ones actually sound different...and I've seen that posted at least twice so far - once on HC, once on VSE. :D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

The funny thing is, I made a joke at the time about how there'd be rumors on the 'net five years after the fact saying that people had heard the red ones actually sound different...and I've seen that posted at least twice so far - once on HC, once on VSE. :D

I specifically remember you saying that at the time. :D

We Alesis people from that era can recall many (dozens, I think) mockups of potential cosmetic designs of the Andromeda panel. I still think the one that we ended up going with was the best of the lot, though there were some cool ones that never saw the light of day.

Axel Hartmann from Design Box would have them, if anyone does. He's the one that did the graphics and a lot of the industrial design for Andy.

My fave of all of them was the blue on darker blue one Kris Rhen has on the Aurora. I love that one to bits. If memory serves, Mike Peake and I were pretty much the only ones who dug it, though...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Very Dave Smithesque... ;)

True. Love the MEK colour - and not just the colour. ;)

(If all goes well, a Christmas gift should be on its way... shhht! :D )

Here's a blue on blue prototype panel on the "Aurora" case modded Andy:

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/images/andromeda/andromeda_aurora2.jpg

I like the Aurora. I'd really love to have one of those blue panels for my Andy.

I specifically remember you saying that at the time. :D

Actually, I heard Dave saying that to me last year! Unless his English was just too fast for me (as usual) and I misunderstood... :D

If any of you insiders have pics of alternate panels, now's the time to post them!

Exactly. And also, to all KCers, unleash your imagination and post your alternate versions of the synths that you own!

I'll start, with a further example: My Matrix-12.

He's dating a Waldorf Q lately... :D

http://www.carlomezzanotte.com/imm/MATRIXorange.jpg

No help about the Andromeda ribbon? :(

No help about the Andromeda ribbon? :(

My first inclination would be to see if Alesis could help. But my other source for fixing older Alesis gear and procuring parts would be Advanced Musical Electronics here in LA. Ruth Fischler, who owns the place, bought a lot of the old Alesis parts inventory at the time.

http://www.advancedmusical.com/

Archived