Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Way OT: touch-screen ain't for me...

Skinny

My (formerly) trusty old Blackberry Curve was finally dropping a deuce on me, and last night I went to purchase a new phone. I initially got the LG Ally; web browsing was faster, screen was nice...

I took the phone back tonight and got the new Blackberry Curve 9330. The web browser and interface don't LOOK as nice, but I have a much easier time navigating. With the touch screen on the Ally, I had a hard time clicking on the proper object/link. When I visited my favorite website, which of course is Harmony Corner, or my second favorite, Craigslist, I was constantly clicking on the wrong link and getting frustrated.

Now, I'm not exactly a dummy when it comes to computers and gadgets. I use and maintain computers and gadgets every day at work. But it makes me feel like a dummy when everyone I know has a touch-screen phone or other device and loves it, when I get one and I am less than competent at using one.

I like physical buttons. Touch-screen ain't for me. :idk

P.S. I can post to this forum now on my new Blackberry! Couldn't do so on my old one! :laugh:

Stuff and things.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Couldn't agree more.

On my vodafone contract I can get a free upgrade every 18 months (used to be every 12, but hey-ho).

The last upgrade I had about 12 months ago was to Nokias latest 'super-phone' -

which was supposed to rival the i-phone (can't remember the model #).

What a waste of time that proved to be for me... I hated it.

The touchscreen thing was a P.I.T.A - even supposedly simple things like writing a text...

If you were a millimetre out, you'd touch the wrong letter, & have to start over :facepalm:.

I've gone back to a slide phone (Nokia 6700) with 'normal' buttons, & much prefer it.

Sometimes I think these design folks are trying to be TOO clever.

John.

some stuff on myspace

Nord: StageEX-88, Electro2-73, Hammond: XK-1, Yamaha: XS7

Korg: M3-73 EXpanded, M50-88, X50, Roland: Juno D, Kurzweil: K2000vp.

I was also against touchscreens, but I recently bought HTC Desire with a big touchscreen, and I must say it is a great piece of tech. Touschscreen works perfectly, and I have no trouble with it. I am also finding new apps each day that are actually very useful.
Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

My wife has the Iphone 4, I cannot get the hang of using the text function, my fat thumbs just mash too many characters at once!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Its all a matter of getting used to something different. The first time I touched an iPhone (first gen), I had second thoughts about getting one, because of the touch screen. I bought one anyway and in a day or two, I got used to the touch screen and never want to go back to buttons!!

YMMV & Vive la difference!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Its all a matter of getting used to something different. The first time I touched an iPhone (first gen), I had second thoughts about getting one, because of the touch screen. I bought one anyway and in a day or two, I got used to the touch screen and never want to go back to buttons!!

YMMV & Vive la difference!

Me three :)

I've had an iPhone since the first arrived on the scene. After 3+ years of touch screen use, I tired a friends "button" phone, and was completely lost.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Man, I have a BB Curve and I hate it. I'm constantly scrolling past what I'm trying to click on, and scroll up order is often different than it was scrolling down! Argh!

That said, there are times on my iPod touch I try to double tap to widen the view and it thinks I clicked on a link. Argh!

At least I know when I play a black and white keyboard, when I "click" on something I should not have, it's 100% down to me. :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I can bang out around 30wpm on the physical keyboard of my Samsung cell. I can't even do 10 on an iPhone, and I've tried over and over. As an avid texter there's just no choice in the matter for me. Fortunately I'm not especially enamored with iPhones anyway so it's not a sacrifice.

But I've seen others - women especially - just fly when texting on an iPhone. Touchscreens seem to be perfect for a woman's smaller fingertips.

But in the end is all in what works best for the individual.

My wife hates the iPhone. I love it.

It is a learning curve, but has an intuitive aspect to it as well. Zooming in on pics is just the way it should be done, as well as flipping through pages.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

I'm on my second Blackberry and still love them. Especially when I see others struggle with their droids and whatnot trying to perform what are simple intuitive tasks on a Blackberry. If I'm going to spend time struggling with technology, it will be with my keyboards, lol.
Nord Lead A1, Nord Electro 5d, Yamaha S70xs, QSC K10s

Just like everything else. . .practice will improve technique. Switching from Blackberry to an HTC Incredible (touch screen) I was slow for about a week. . .a month later I'm way faster on the touch screen (in the horizontal orientation). Vertical I'd be back to Blackberry speed.
"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

Archived