Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Wakeman/Anderson concert

Gary75

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, they have been touring fairly extensively with Benoit David as their lead singer. They are supposed to start recording a new album with him next month. Rick and Jon are doing things together on their own; less rigorous, more local tours. Due to health reasons neither can do the sort of larger scale tour Yes has been doing.

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

At this point the Anderson/Yes split seems more based on hurt feelings to be honest. Anderson just did a tour here in the States (to extra thin crowds) that seemed every bit as busy as Yes' tour, and his website was looking for promoters. It's a shame really.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Yeah it is a shame. And Rick has called the current band with David a "tribute band." Even though his son is in the group! So there are some hurt feelings.

There's a nice website from an alt.music.yes mainstay which updates the current Yes events with great detail. Seeing as the Notes From The Edge website hasn't been updating in quite a long time, this is a nice resource.

Yes - where are they now

I see from this website that Trevor Horn will be producing the new album! That's interesting!

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Well they are playing the Sage theatre in Gateshead UK, Hall One, its a large amphitheatre, as opposed to Hall Two which is a more intimate setting for hundreds, not thousands. I can't see them filling Hall One. Although saying that, it could be they think Rick will bump up the numbers due to his mainstream tv exposure. He's been on a lot of high profile shows in the UK. One of them a series called 'Grumpy Old Men' where ageing stars complain its not like how it used to be, very funny!

It seems all par for the course for this band, doesn't it? Looking at the lineup changes over the years, it's the way it has been since nearly the beginning.

Maybe they can get Bill Bruford to come out, and maybe Trevor Rabin, Peter Banks, and/or Billy Sherwood.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

It seems all par for the course for this band, doesn't it?

Only one album doesn't have Anderson on it (Drama).

I've enjoyed the "revolving door" aspect of Yes, and it's created some diverse music. This one's a little different, the guy was chosen (I think) because he sounds like someone, not because he brings something unique to the table. Maybe he's a supertalent, I have no idea. But it's kinda creepy.

Anderson, Bruford, Tony Levin, Trevor Rabin & Wakeman.... I'd pay big money to see that!

Actually my big hope is that Wakeman & Anderson will explore new territory. I love the old stuff, but I've got it at home & I've seen it live. I really really don't need to see another performance of Roundabout or All Good people.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Actually my big hope is that Wakeman & Anderson will explore new territory.

Especially if it's done under the name "Yes". :cool: For me, those 2 guys are Yes. It would be great to have one final album with those 2 and other members from the glory days. I like Rabin too, I think I like him better than Howe.

Especially if it's done under the name "Yes". :cool: For me, those 2 guys are Yes.

On one hand, I can't really see saying Anderson and Wakeman "are" Yes when Wakeman was only on 7 of their 18 studio albums. But then I really feel for Alan White, who I'm sure must still deal with people seeing Bruford as the "real" Yes drummer, despite Alan's playing on far more albums and being with them for a gazillion more years.

Compositionally, I guess I'd say that Anderson, Howe, and Squire are the core. But if I had to pick "one"--even though so much of a band's identity is associated with the front man -- I think I'd say Squire is the one. Not just because he is the only one on every album--which is, in part, just a result of how legalities played out -- but more because, to me, the telling thing is that, of all the solo albums that all of them have put out, Fish Out of Water is the only one that I could easily reimagine as a Yes album. Also, I think Drama is a stronger album than ABWH. So if I were to pick one person who is the essence of the band, I'd have to pick him.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Yeah it is a shame. And Rick has called the current band with David a "tribute band."

It's kind of the opposite of Gentle Giant. In both cases, three "original" members wanted to continue the project... Yes chose to maintain the Yes name, and GG went out of their way to make sure people did not think Three Friends was GG. Perhaps because of legal requirements or enforceable demands from the non-participating members, but it's just kind of funny how these things play out. I saw in an interview that Kerry Minnear ended up leaving Three Friends at least in part because of other former members' objections to the project. Of course the "Gentle Giant" name doesn't have quite the commercial value of "Yes" either.

Are the Beach Boys the Beach Boys without a Wilson? Blood Sweat and Tears w/o DCT (okay, I know, he wasn't on the first album either)? With older groups, 50s and 60s, there are plenty of shows that are essentially "tribute" bands that include 1 or more original members... or in some cases, I seem to remember reading, none at all. But maybe we'll have to come up with a new category of band, "tribute bands" that include original members. I have no problem with the current Yes lineup being Yes, but I think they could cement that with a release of new original material.

It kind of demonstrates the problems of a name like Emerson, Lake, and Palmer. The entity simply can't exist without the three of them. That may have hurt the marketing/acceptance of Emerson, Lake and Powell, compared to what might have happened if they could have marketed it under the exact same band name that had released the previous hit albums. The latest "Keith Emerson Band" CD might have gotten a lot more traction if it also had been released under a huge name. I think this makes it easier for Squire, Howe, White to keep going, the fact that they can continue to bill themselves under their most recognizable name, something Emerson and Lake don't have the luxury of doing. Palmer at least has Asia... and even though they had personnel changes over the years, they were able to keep going in part, I think, because they were smart enough to not use any of their names in the band name!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

With older groups, 50s and 60s, there are plenty of shows that are essentially "tribute" bands that include 1 or more original members... or in some cases, I seem to remember reading, none at all.

Not an apt comparison, as most of those acts aren't original members because of a lack of surviving members, not interpersonal squabbling. ;)

Palmer at least has Asia... and even though they had personnel changes over the years, they were able to keep going in part, I think, because they were smart enough to not use any of their names in the band name!

Even Asia has a similar split; the "real" Asia is out as "Original Asia", while the John Payne "Asia" is labeled as "Asia featuring John Payne". I'm sorry, but the latter isn't Asia in my mind (with all due respect to Mr. Norlander, who's a fantastic keyboardist :thu:).

Anderson, Bruford, Tony Levin, Trevor Rabin & Wakeman.... I'd pay big money to see that!

There is talk of this actually happening. I read this in an interview with Trevor Rabin a few weeks back. Here's hoping.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Especially if it's done under the name "Yes". :cool: For me, those 2 guys are Yes.

On one hand, I can't really see saying Anderson and Wakeman "are" Yes when Wakeman was only on 7 of their 18 studio albums.

To me, the Yes "sound" came when Wakeman arrived (although I love the Yes Album). Close to the Edge solidified that and was IMO the pinnacle of that sound. If I had to introduce Yes to a Yes virgin, I would put on Close to the Edge.

I've enjoyed most of the other albums without Wakeman too. I think the most underrated is "Talk", there's some really nice material on that album.

With older groups, 50s and 60s, there are plenty of shows that are essentially "tribute" bands that include 1 or more original members... or in some cases, I seem to remember reading, none at all.

Not an apt comparison, as most of those acts aren't original members because of a lack of surviving members, not interpersonal squabbling. ;)

Well, yeah, there's that. Sadly, you don't even have to go back that far. (See: The Who.) But there are also quite a few groups out on the road where there are one or more surviving members who aren't part of the group... whether for health reasons or otherwise, I couldn't tell you. Of course, it was a different time... the days of AM radio... how many people even knew the names of the people who were in most of the groups they were listening to? Not to mention how many of them frequently changed anyway, or had a very short period of time on the charts, or had tracks largely played by session musicians in the first place. Things changed as performers more often were the composers, I think. Another way the Beatles changed the equation.

All I know is, I'm not going to a Jethro Tull concert without Jethro. ;-)

To me, the Yes "sound" came when Wakeman arrived (although I love the Yes Album). Close to the Edge solidified that and was IMO the pinnacle of that sound. If I had to introduce Yes to a Yes virgin, I would put on Close to the Edge.

I'm glad I heard other Yes first. To this day, I still don't really care for CTTE. (The piece, not the album. The second "side" is terrific.)

But there are also quite a few groups out on the road where there are one or more surviving members who aren't part of the group...

As a backup musician I've played with:

The Temptations. There was one Temptation. (and this was 20 years ago).

Four Tops- Two Tops. (20 years ago)

The Lettermen- One Letterman, two young-uns

ELO 2- One original and No Jeff Lynne

It even affects the classical world. There is a guitar Quartet called the "Romeros", all of course very distinguished spanish-looking gentlemen. When they arrived for rehearsal, two young blonde dudes walk in. :laugh:

"Anderson Bruford Wakeman and some other guys who aren't Chris Squire"

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Rabin. Weedle-weedle-wee.

Never did it for me.

The sad thing is they show that horrid concert on Direct TV with the orchestra. Embarrassing. It was as if YES morphed into UP WITH PEOPLE. although Tom Brislin did a fine job on keys, the finale was too much to stomach.

There is talk of this actually happening. I read this in an interview with Trevor Rabin a few weeks back. Here's hoping.

Wow... I just threw that out, taking Joe's comment a little further. The thing I like about that lineup (specifically without Howe, Squire & White) is that I really do think they'd explore new territory. Even if they did some Yes tunes live, I'm sure they'd freshen things up a bit. I heard a live recording of AWBH doing "Roundabout" where Bruford put a samba feel to the bridge section. That's the way to shake things up a bit! Plus, Bruford & Levin would introduce something to Yes music that has been lacking for years- groove! (I'm a BIG yes fan, so this is not idle flaming.)

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

"Anderson Bruford Wakeman and the bass player from Primus

Hmmm, that's a strange choice. :laugh:

:laugh: Nice!

+1 for mcgoo's comment!!!!

i saw some of the new "yes" footage on you tube.....it was indeed a tribute band...akin to the "doors of the 21st century"......white especially sounded a bit long in the tooth.......and as bruford said about squire "I'm sure, a wonderful guy. But in those days he was also very, very late for all appointments, departures, arrivals, and sound checks." ....plus it would seem that cs's approach is very..... well ....."let's get our parts and not deviate".......

"I have constantly tried to deliver only products which withstand the closest scrutiny � products which prove themselves superior in every respect.�

Robert Bosch, 1919

Archived