Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The older I get the more I like...

dvuksanovich

This has probably been done already, but who are the guitarists that you appreciate more and more with each passing year? Here are a few of mine:

David Gilmour - I'm not a huge Pink Floyd fan, but man can this guy play. He's always seems to be consciously making music, not just putting his fingers on some frets and running with whatever comes out of the guitar.

Vito Bratta - White Lion was an average band at best, but hidden inside is one of the best guitarists (IMO) ever. His rhythms are interesting and go way beyond 80s power chord chugging, and his solos are basically mini compositions inside each song. He injured himself pretty badly in the 90s and sort of disappeared. I hope he gets well someday so he can make more music.

SRV - The only guitarist I can think of who is/was in control of sounding like he's almost out of control (if that makes any sense). SRV's playing often sounds like it's about to go over the edge into pure mayhem, but it never does. Very cool.

Nuno Bettencourt - I liked Extreme back in the day because I was an 80s hard rock/metal fan, but I didn't really appreciate Nuno's rhythmic playing back then. Nuno's funk/metal rhythms sound cooler every time I listen to them. If he never played a solo I wouldn't care.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

, the inventor of the 7 string geetar.

(Well, passing over Joe Williams).

Note his use of fretting hand thumb & picking hand tapping years before Hendrix or EVH, plus the incredible overall facility, melodically, harmonically & rhythmically.

Get past the music they play, to the way they play it !

d=halfnote

I'm starting to appreciate singer/songwriters like David Crosby and Paul Simon... not everything, but they wrote and played some great tunes!

Oh, and I get in a symphony every Saturday morning if my wife doesn't invent something urgent for me to do, LOL! Just to admire the craftsmanship - how they'll take simple melodies and well, make SYMPHONIC with them.... but to where it sounds natural, and not some attempt to impress people.

Many on your list, like Steve Morse have been on my list for years.

John Mayer; not his usual stuff, but I saw him on one of those Clapton "guitar Summit" things and was impressed. And his rendition of Michael Jackson's "Human Nature" at the funeral tribute was pretty good stuff.

Lindsay Buckingham

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

P-90 pickups. As far as guitar players I'd say Angus Young and Malcom Young. I've been on and off the AC/DC bandwagon so many times it isn't even funny. I finally come to the conclusion that they just played good rock songs. Nothing fancy, nothing ground breaking but just good rockin' music.

Also AY's playing just seems to get tastier with the passing of time. Just the other day I was listening to some old AC/DC and it struck my how cool and important MY's playing was to the music.

(I'm so glad I got to see George Van Eps play in the early 90s. He played in a restaurant in Huntington Beach, CA and I don't know if many of the people there eating knew what a LEGEND he was/is.)

Single coil pickups.

Older music...as in 1950s. Rockabilly.

Fender guitars. I used to be totally into Les Paul scale and playability, but now my Strat and Tele are my main guitars.

The Les Paul feels very weird now.

Out of the ordinary weird guitars...similar to what Eastwood makes.

http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/GTRs/airline-Map/images/gtr_Seafoam-airMap.jpg

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Tal Farlow

I met Tal one day at Phil Petillos guitar shop when he was under the Red Barn on Hy 35 (I think) near Bricktown New Jersey. I shook his hand when introduced, and his fingers were the longest fingers I ever saw on any man. Great player. And a real gentleman.

- Small lightweight gears

- The tasty guitar playing of Zal Yanovsky (Lovin' Spoonful)

- The incredibly stupid talent & versatility of Paul McCartney

- The fact that Marty Stuart really "gets it" when it comes to traditional hardcore C&W and bluegrass music. It's real. He means it.

- Computer based digital recording & music production.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

LoL Terrell.

I like Dave Grohl more and more as I realize how deep a talent he is.

Jerry Cantrell

King's X

Eddie Van Halen (still mind blown at his accomplishment, and his tone still sounds state of the art to my ears)

Jimmy Page will always amaze me for the musical style he has

Joe Walsh

Don Felder

Dave Gilmour

Jeff Beck

Albert Lee

Chet Atkins

Leo Kottke

Derek Trucks

I wanted to add this thing I encountered living in Taiwan.

It is an attachment to the toilet that basically jets water after you poop and cleans up your bum.. I call it the bum chum.

It is complete with a heater on the toilet seat for the winter, and warm jetted water for women at that time of the month.

But if that is too much money, one can always procure an equivalent to a garden hose to manually spray off one's bum.

I gotta say, not only is this probably more environmentally friendly because you use almost no toilet paper except to dry, but it is simply smarter, and more sanitary than smearing around feces with toilet paper.

When I came home last year I was disgusted to have to go to the bathroom. Its like now I couldn't go without.

Now after being here we have the sprayer version. It is cheap. I like about $10 installed. I can't imagine it being anymore expensive in the US.

So if you have made it through this description. Do you, yourself, and family a favor and get yourself a bum chum..

HEHE, the one my gf's parents have is made by Panasonic. I was wondering one day while I was dropping a few lbs---"does this have an input for headphones?"

Uh, maybe I'm wrong, but I bet this is the first time a "bum chum" has been mentioned in a guitar forum ;-)

No worries, I found the perfect accessories for you:

Acoustic Guitar Toilet Seat - Natural

http://store.drumbum.com/skuMGMSC-371.html#4813

Guitar Toilet Flush Handle - Side Mount

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Toilet-Flush-Handle-Mount/dp/B003M9ISCS

Solitude -

Role model: Robinson Crusoe, except for Friday

Sleep -

Role model: Rip Van Winkle, and owners of adjustable hardness beds

Guitar playing -

Role model: Most of you guys, probably, if I ever got to hear you play!

Symphonies -

Role model: I ain't ever gonna live long enough to write a symphony, so I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' ROLE MODELS!

Politicians and their BS maximus speeches, reciting the same old mantras -

Role model: Most of them are good for comic relief!

Archived