Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Heavy Drinkers Outlive Nondrinkers

gryphon

Geekgurl you are so typical of the women I've worked with! All of them - one drink and they were good. That was it! No cravings for another, and then another....

And they all said the same thing you did. Among other things, they didn't want alcohol messing up their performance.

Male musicians just don't think that way at all. For the most part, they really don't care!

It's just the weirdest thing.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The key to everything is moderation.
You'll have to amend that to "most things" if you want to be consistent. ;-)

"Everything in moderation ... including moderation," I've been saying that for decades. :D Great minds ...

"Some people like to drink with moderation. Unfortunately, I don't know the guy!"

FWIW I grew up in an Italian-American family, and my grandparents were old-school. I was introduced to wine at dinner at a young age ... I even remember my great-grandmother (who lived to be 105) scolding us kids about drinking milk with pasta dinner, because, "milk ruins the sauce!" One of my cousins jokes that to this day she is "scarred" by that and must drink wine with tomato sauce.

What a great story!

That made my day - Thanks Michelle! :)

You are very welcome, Tom! Happy to have entertained (as always). :)

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

FWIW I grew up in an Italian-American family, and my grandparents were old-school. I was introduced to wine at dinner at a young age ...

I can totally relate... my grandfather gave me my first sip of homemade red wine when I was four or five. For the records, he died at 93.

I even remember my great-grandmother (who lived to be 105) scolding us kids about drinking milk with pasta dinner, because, "milk ruins the sauce!"

She was absolutely right. :D Pasta with sauce and milk don't go together, they just become non-digestible. Every time I see some anglo-saxon type eating spaghetti followed by a cappuccino, I think, he's going to need a doctor soon! :freak:

(with all due respect to all my American and British friends... ) :)

Carlo, I know, right? :D I remember travelling through France, Belgium, Italy, Spain ... came to Italy right after France. Now I love French culture and food, but I just couldn't BELIEVE how landing in Milan and finding a buffet lunch (it was really good, for anyone who wants to cast aspersions on buffet food :D) was a digestive relief! I kind of felt like I was back home. Except my family is from Sicily, but still ...

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Ha ha, not that every kind of Italian food it's so easily digestible... there are several heavy things. :D

BTW Michelle, have you ever visited Sicily? Though somewhat degraded, it's always a very special place. I'm sure you would recognize your roots much more strongly than in Milan. ;)

No, never got down that far, so haven't been yet. Naples is the furthest south I've gone. But I have pictures of the house my great-grandmother grew up in and my dad visited there and saw it, etc. I'd like to go someday. When my son's a little older we'll start travelling again ...

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

Despite my Italian-American heritage, I always had milk with my pasta growing up. I never had a drop of any alcohol until my teens. I feel ripped off. :(

OTOH, I'm wondering if that's why I've lately developed an affinity for the Italian-American jazz artists. I've recently picked up Tony Bennett, and Frank Sinatra, both of whom I wouldn't have given a second look a few years ago. Who's next? (Dino, I'm looking your direction...)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I've recently picked up Tony Bennett, and Frank Sinatra, both of whom I wouldn't have given a second look a few years ago. Who's next? (Dino, I'm looking your direction...)

Probably, Joe Pass and Lennie Tristano. :)

Ain't it a trip how those guys changed those beautiful Italian names to fit in?

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Btw this is a good mnemonic exercise. Nick La Rocca, Joe Venuti, Dodo Marmarosa.... and more recently, Chick Corea, Frank Zappa, Al DiMeola, Joey DeFrancesco, John Patitucci... of course most of these are American, but their fathers or grandfathers are Italian.

Well, at the time, everybody did that. So many Russian, Jew, and German names were changed to sound a bit more American/English.
Oh, I realize why, it's just that I think so many of the Italian names sounded better. I can't imagine why though. ;)

OTOH, I'm wondering if that's why I've lately developed an affinity for the Italian-American jazz artists. I've recently picked up Tony Bennett, and Frank Sinatra, both of whom I wouldn't have given a second look a few years ago. Who's next? (Dino, I'm looking your direction...)

Pete Barbuti!

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

I didn't think Chick Corea was Italian, but Wikipedia says he is "of Sicilian and Spanish descent".

I dare say that Wikipedia has it wrong here. Chick's parents are from the province of Messina, Sicily. (I seem to remember that he has relatives in Calabria, which is very close anyway).

I remember Chick himself saying in more than one occasion that the Spanish thing was an acquired taste.

Not that I care to claim Chick's origins to Italy... just trying to set the record straight. :)

Archived