Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Redkey rocks Indy

mcgoo

Got to meet a fellow forumite last night as Redkey was playing with Dulcet Road at Locals Only. Disappointingly, despite encouragement from Kanker & I, he neglected to bring his brand new C-3 with him. ;)

We actually met over a few bars away where Kanker was playing with the Jeff Chapin Trio. Kanker was killin' as always- no surprise there. Did a very nice job playing keybass too. I never get tired of hearing that dude on his XK-3C system. Wish we coulda stayed longer, but we didn't want to miss any of Redkey's 45 minute set. So, the Mrs & I headed over to Locals Only fairly early, only to find (big surprise) that the band before Redkey's was just starting. Ah well, at least they were decent.

Anyway the other band got done, Redkey setup, gave me a private tour of his efficient, yet killing rig (Nord Stage Compact w/ Ventilator & Motif Rack), and then the band played. Great original music, great playing, tons of palm smearing Hammond, Wurly & clav chops. I enjoyed getting to hear the Ventilator for the 1st time, and I gotta say, very impressive! And he turned me onto a beer I'd never tried- 312 Urban Wheat Beer, a native Chicago brew.

And then, when they got done, his rig packs into 1 1/2 trips to the car. Wow- I am so missing the boat- I'm too embarrassed to admit how many trips it takes me to load in/out.

Fun to meet you Dan- see ya next time! 'Hope the rest of you will give us Indy folks a shout when you're rolling thru. :thu:

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
'Hope the rest of you will give us Indy folks a shout when you're rolling thru. :thu:

MOS DEF!!!!! :thu:

After hangin' out here a while, there's not too many places I could travel to and not have at least 1 person I could call to shoot the shit with.

I love this place! :thu:

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

I wish I could have gotten by the show. Would have been great to catch RedKey's band and actually hear a Stage in live performance.

Great seeing you last night Greg. You were there for what, all of 5 minutes? :laugh:

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Wow, thanks.

I really had a great time. Would have loved to catch more than 30 minutes of Kanker's show, but I would not have given up hanging with McGoo and wife over a couple good beers either.

Truly great meeting you guys and look forward to next time!

Kanker, I think you are Superman. Damn! fine! playin'!

All my best,

Dan

Yeah man, wish I coulda caught your gig. Great meeting you though, hopefully there's a hang in the cards down the road. Greg split as soon as you did - guess he couldn't stand the music without some company :laugh:

guess he couldn't stand the music without some company :laugh:

Well, if I'd stayed much longer there woulda been some tears in my beer, stemming from sheer (gear & chops) jealousy.

Actually, I coulda listened to you guys all night. The wife, not so much. If you'd been playing some old Clash or Ramones, she woulda been dancin & making a spectacle of herself. Let me know if your song list ever starts incorporating some of them fine artists. Tad could sing that stuff, right? :laugh:

The funny part is that we pulled into the parking lot of Locals Only while Dan was getting changed by his van. That's a part of road life my wife hasn't seen- getting changed out in the car 'cause the bar doesn't have a backstage room (or at least one you're not afraid to be in for very long).

www.gmma.biz

......The funny part is that we pulled into the parking lot of Locals Only while Dan was getting changed by his van.....

So that's his story and he's sticking to it? :wave:

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

yes, it was clean & identifiable. It wasn't exactly putting me in danger of an uncontrolled bowel movement, but it was working.

On a different note, at times it sounded like you hit the brake on the sim. Was that the case or did my ears deceive? I rarely do that- usually only if I'm going for a transistor type of sound. Sounded cool, but caught me off guard.

www.gmma.biz

I rarely use Chorale. Kind of a combination of the jazzer and the Memphis soul junkie in me. Plus in that kind of setting, organ duo plus singer doing blues, the brake with a bit of overdrive kinda adds a little extra ignorant to the sound that makes it less polite. I actually pull the Chorale plugs on 122's and 147's for some gigs....

was the bass sufficient coming from the K10 where you were sitting?

I felt your overall volume could have been up a bit. I could hear you, but certainly wanted more. Sounded to me that you had the "deep" mode on. Even at low volume, ~20 feet of distance, and you sitting right in front of the speaker, I could still FEEL the bass without it being loud. Pretty cool.

In that setting, I would turn overall volume up a bit and get the speaker a little higher so the horn hits the crowd a bit.

Your balance of LH bass was just fine. Really fine.

was the bass sufficient coming from the K10 where you were sitting?

I felt your overall volume could have been up a bit. I could hear you, but certainly wanted more. Sounded to me that you had the "deep" mode on. Even at low volume, ~20 feet of distance, and you sitting right in front of the speaker, I could still FEEL the bass without it being loud. Pretty cool.

In that setting, I would turn overall volume up a bit and get the speaker a little higher so the horn hits the crowd a bit.

Your balance of LH bass was just fine. Really fine.

Glad to hear it, but you might be surprised to hear it was in Norm mode. Outdoors no less. The K10 is a bad bass kickin box. :thu:

I'll definitely try a different speaker placement next time I play there. I think I'm getting too much of me, and blocking the horn a bit.

I rarely use Chorale. Kind of a combination of the jazzer and the Memphis soul junkie in me.

Good tip for new territory to explore. I learned my Hammond playing from rockers that played organ, but weren't necessarily blues or jazz organists. I always loved the chorale sound so much I've rarely explored not using it.

www.gmma.biz

I understand. It's a very dry sound, and it took me a while to get used to it. Once I did, I found less use for Chorale. The C/V tends to be slightly more effective in stop, it's effect a bit more pronounced when you go from off to on. It adds a bit of motion to the sound even when the brake is on.

Archived