Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favourite Tone

Psycho-Spud

We all have our fave song and player. What's your favourite tone? I waver between Jimmy Page's rhythm track on 'Since I've Been Lovin You' and Ty Tabour's uni-vibe drenched sound on the live version of 'Groove Machine'. Keith Richards is right up there too in 'Slave'. I could probably think of another half dozen, anyone else?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh gheeze, how to choose, there are so many!

There are loads of exquisite guitar tones on Quadrophrenia by The Who, mostly from Pete Townshend's putting a "tweed" '50s Fender Bandmaster 3x10 and hollowbody Grets ch to very good use.

Derek Trucks exudes phenomenal tone.

Allman Bro's, "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" is mesmerizing with an embarrassment of riches in the guitar-tone department.

Wes Montgomery gets fffffffat warm chunky tone all over The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery.

Jimmy Page gets so many awesome, beautiful, stunning tones throughout Zeppelin's fourth album and Houses of the Holy.

I've always loved the tones that Fast Eddy Clark got on Motorhead's The Ace of Spades.

Eddie Van Halen's tone on the first three Van Halen albums is amazing- and for me, especially his rhythm guitar tones.

Brian freakin' Moore with Queen!

Sonny Landreth, "Congo Square".

Pretty much any time that Stevie Ray Vaughan touched a guitar.

Michael Schenker on U.F.O.'s Obsession.

Danny Gatton.

Les Paul.

Roy Buchanan.

Malcolm Young.

Jeff Beck. Jeff beck. Jeff beck. Jeff Beck.

I'll shut up now...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Pete Townshend, Live At Leeds, My Generation.

Pete Townshend, Who's Next, Bargain.

Keith Richard, Eileen

Eric Johnson, Cliffs Of Dover

My first Boogie Mark III on the lead channel with my Heritage 80 Elite Les Paul on the neck p/up.

Billy Gibbons, anything on the first four albums.

Jimi Hendrix, Band Of Gypsies, Machine Gun.

So many more...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

1) Ritchie Blackmore's tone on the Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow album.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51sBa8fuI2L._SS500_.jpg

2) Allan Holdsworth's tone on Nostalgic Lady on this Ponty album.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51tK2OuLvbL._SS500_.jpg

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

I agree with just about ALL of the above... especially Caevan's list.

But no one has mentioned the KING of tone (IMHO)

DAVID GILMORE

Especially like his tone on his "On An Island" CD. Just amazing.

SEHpicker

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

Roine Stolt from the Flower Kings, Transatlantic, Agents of Mercy, etc. "Stranger In Your Soul" has a variety of great tones, but I especially like he use of the wah pedal, sometimes in motion, sometimes just left partly-cocked.

Steve Rothery of Marillion, on "Hard As Love"- it has his heavy driving tone, as well as a section with one of his signature tremelo/chorused tones.

Plenty more out there... good mentions of "Quadrophenia", Eric Johnson and Jeff Beck.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I'm definitely on board with Eric Johnson, David Gilmouor and EVH. I'll probably get skewered for this, but Derek Frigo's tone on the early Enuff Z'nuff discs was awesome... tons of gain but somehow he maintains string separation through it all. Also love Metallica's Mesa tone on the rhythm parts in Enter Sandman.

Aaaaaand for those who love "tone straight from the fingers" check out Manuel Barrueco playing... well... anything. Compare Manuel's round, focused tone to some of the scratchy honkers coming out of Julian Bream's guitar or Eliot Fisk's. No comparison whatsoever.

(The second paragraph is partially because I like classical guitar and partially to recover from the irreparable damage that I've probably done myself by admitting in public that I like Enuff Z'nuff).

From some reason, I've been digging lots of bands lately that love Marshall tones. They consistently have a lot of midrange, and even when they're scooped out, the tone just ROARS. It usually isn't as buzzy as a Mesa can be sometimes (usually a Recto amp).

I love the tones from the Serpents Rise album. Drummer Derek Roddy's offering that as a free download on his web site (http://www.derekroddy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17180). He is looking for a label to eventually help him release it on CD. Anyway, the tones on that are your classic high gain Marshall tone, with some clean breaks. Yes, it's mostly preamp I suppose, but it's still dynamic enough. (The amps used were JCM 2000 DSL's.) Other than that, the reason I love it is because Cookie Monster took a vacation while this was recorded. :D

Reply to the previous post, there`s a control panel over the box. I think the little TV icon is the one you need.

Anyway, any one of several songs by a band called The Ocean Blue. I`m a sucker for clean-toned shimmer, most of the screamin` lead stuff is well known to all.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

What's your favourite tone?

Many are impressive, but Santana's tone stands out as very much the way I like guitar tone.

Europa is a touchstone for me.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

When I think about tone, this always comes to mind. All the greats had moments live when the "Angles of tone" would come to rest on their amp for the night. I think Peter may have had that happen a bit more than most. I was lucky enough to get a (FLAC) copy of this show. Youtube does it no justice. But it's cool that folks can hear it. Sounds like Zues throwing lightning bolts down from Heaven.

[video:youtube]

Archived