Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Favourite Tone

Psycho-Spud

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mr. Mark Strat on Sultans of Swing...

+1000

and Richard Thompson on the "Shoot Out The Lights" records.

Happy to see someone agrees with me on Sultans...I think the guitar work on this song is perhaps one of the highest and best uses of the Stratocaster phase and clean tones that identifies and pays tribute to one of the ultimate Fender sounds...IMHO. :thu:

Take care, Larryz

Blackmore on Fireball. An earthier tone than his later Rainbow years.

Gotta love the song "No One Came". His playing on that album sounds like he just discovered the Strat/Marshall combination and was trying to figure it out.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Speaking of the "ultimate Fender Sound"... I was listening to a Buddy Guy cd yesterday. While I love his passion and his bends and most of his note choice, I can't stand his tone, especially the attack. That is tto me the epitome of the Fender tone- shrill, harsh, trebley. When he hangs onto a note long enough to get past the attack, the sound is ok; and his wah work has a much more palatable tone (to me).

I'm not sure if it's the tone, or the playing (probably both); but I love Steve Howe's use of pedal steel. "Toe The Line" from the GTR album; "Gates of Delirium" from Relayer; "To Be Alive" from The Ladder... love it! He's got so many great tones, including his use of the Danelectro Coral Sitar.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

Tone...

All time favorite is Zeppelin II...ranging from the crazy violent lead break in "Whole Lotta Love" to the spacy super relaxing solo in "what is and what should never be".

Billy Corgan and James Iha got a very wide range of tone on the Pumpkins debut "Gish" also a favorite

John Fruciante's clean sound on "under the bridge"

Stevie ray vaughn however is the altime tone king IMO with Texas Flood and CSTW.

Rob Robitaille

Michael Schenker On UFOs phenomenon and even more on lights out.

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

Jimmy Page: the guitar solo on Ten Years Gone.

Eric Clapton: The solo from Badge. (How many of us have pictured ourselves playing this in front of a huge audience?)

David Gilmour: Shine On You Crazy Diamond.

Jeff Beck: Live With the Jan Hammer Group (any song from that album).

I rock; therefore, I am.

Archived