Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

TAKE MY JOB! COMMENTS WELCOME!

Editor Boy

Hey! Take my job for a moment, please...

Simply answer the question: "If I was Editor in Chief of GUITAR PLAYER today, I would..."

I'll print the coolest answers in the November issue of GP. And, hey, I'm sure I'll get a few ideas I can steal, as well. Thanks!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take the focus of guitar back to some basics.

1 I mean like etiquette at open stages , lately in my area everyone wants to be an open stage hero, come on share the music not the attitude.

2 Make you self available and honest, if your a player show up when you are supposed to and leave when its done.

3 Help out, that kid may just need help sorting his sound out, don't try and make him replicate yours.

That is all for now

Lok

1997 PRS CE24, 1981 Greco MSV 850, 1991 Greco V 900, 2 2006 Dean Inferno Flying Vs, 1987 Gibson Flying V, 2000s Jackson Dinky/Soloist, 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio,

I would not cater to only the lowest common denominator (beginners) so much, by advertising top-end gear that none of them can afford.

Don't print songs in TAB, hopefully the general knowledge level of guitar players would go up! *I'm not sure what key it's in, but there's alot of 5's and 3's* ( quote from one of my 16 year old students )!

Music gives voice to the otherwise unheard, form to emotion. - Me.

I would not cater to only the lowest common denominator (beginners) so much, by advertising top-end gear that none of them can afford.

I'm not sure that suggestion will go far, advertising dollars are advertising dollars in any business. Putting more emphasis on real note-reading and theory would be good, but again, sadly, tab probably sells more than notes. I had about 40 students a week a few years ago and at any given time only 3 or 4 worked with anything but tab. A few did show more interest when I got a gig as pit guitarist for a local run of a live play(Man of La Mancha) because I made sure they all knew that only fluent note readers could even audition for it. Maybe there's an angle that could be spun in the future? "Want more paying gigs? Learn to read notes!

Jim

A. own a buttload of guitars, amps, and effects pedals, all in the name of research, of course...

B. Cadge a lot of tips and licks from the famous guitarists I came in contact with. Also research, you know...

C. Get down on my knees and thank God daily for the cool job I was privileged to have.

D. Give a long-time GP Forum poster named Picker a few free guitars and amps, just for the sheer mad joy of doing so.

Hey, I had to take a shot, didn't I? :whistle:

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

1. Make the email newsletters less hassle to subscribe to. I already have a print subscription and it is should be less intrusive to get on an piddly email list.

2. Allow GP2 to be downloaded to the computer. I have never made a through more than a few pages online the interface is kind of clunky in my browser and with my connection.

3. Keep up the great work with the diversity of guitar playing talent that is willing to discuss the art and the craft of music on the guitar.

4.Maybe try to demystify recording software and DAWs that are geared for guitarists.

5. Have Boss make an updated version of the DR5. (Ha!)

Thanks!

I wouldn't want your job, I am sure it's a tough one. But there are some things I would like to see. I have mentioned these in the forum before but will again.

I want to see dedicated columns for each of the styles of guitar each month, rock, blues, jazz, classical, country. I want these to be written by distinct writers with opinions and personalities. Even though the writing quality in GP is very high, it is too homogeneous. When I started reading the magazine in the late 70's, there was more diverstity. Strong opinions that sometimes ruffled my feathers. I can't tell one GP writer from another now, everyone uses the same catch phrases over and over, year after year. I am not expecting "The New Yorker" but how about some originality.

The one page or even half page bio's have to go. They read like reprinted promo packages. A slick picture with 2 sentences on what guitars and effects the players use isn't enough. Although every once in awhile there is an important guitarist that plays more of a supporting role or uses guitar as a medium for writing, there seems to be one in every issue, what are these guys doing to raise the bar of guitar playing. If the guitarist in the band isn't unique enough to have something to say, perhaps they don't belong in GP. Sometimes the guitar is little more than a prop for some of these bands. I don't mind a 2 paragraph record review, but if you think a guitarist is worthy of being in GP, then do more in depth coverage. I can find out in 2 seconds on the web more than some of these bio's.

I sound overly critical but in some ways, GP is better than it has ever been. There are big issues crammed with lots of information. The magazine is well produced and looks good. It's not lacking quality, but can always be improved.

"If I was Editor in Chief of GUITAR PLAYER today, I would..."

I would strengthen the bond between the print magazine and its online presence.

- I would talk to record companies of artists I featured and coerce them into donating a free online MP3 download for each artist featured that could be accessed by a code printed in your magazine at the end of said articles. As a consumer, Id be more inclined to buy more tracks from an artist after Ive actually heard them, as opposed to just read about them. As a record company, Id know that featured press is way more valuable than advertising, and wouldnt hesitate to provide a sample to try to sell more records. And if you print the code in the magazine, youd encourage online users to buy or subscribe to the print magazine, while at the same time encouraging those who are primarily print users to visit your online presence.

- The forum here is weak number-wise compared to what it should be with the amount of print press you distribute. First, Id re-vamp the forum to mimic the styles of two of the more popular guitar-based forums: Harmony Central and The Gear Page. Then, Id encourage a stronger link between print copy and forum by running more interactive contests in the print magazine that would encourage users to visit this forum. Anything from gear rewards to press coverage in the print magazine could be offered for forum based interaction/posting.

- I would also try to make online audio, or audio/video, clips for every reviewed product. Again as a consumer, Id be more inclined to buy, or at least check into products I could easily hear. From the manufactures point of view, Id think they would want demos of their product. I know that would involve time and expense, but Id bet you could even get the manufactures to pay for the audio/video recordings. Just tell them if they dont, then no review.

On a separate note, for the print magazine, Id try to get some regular column writers with a bit more personality and long term consistency (instead of new writers for instructional columns each issue). Things like the Tommy Tedesco studio log column or Steve Vai guitar secrets column come to mind. Thats tough though, as I only know a few writers capable of melding emotion, humor, and technical information consistently.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

http://www.thesymbols.net

http://www.jascoguitar.com

Open the "Hard Guitar Rock Player Coffee" and invite all the forum members to play there!

"Play something unpredictable!"

"I've been trying to do that my whole life"

(Hedges' 1993 concert)

www.myspace.com/facundoesquelles

Oh, and one other thing I'd do...

This wouldn't necessarily net me any new traffic or higher profits, but as editor of Guitar Player magazine, I'd realize what a fantastic legacy of guitar literature Id inherited with the job, and Id make a high quality scan of every page of every issue from issue number 1 to the present. Covers, ads, articles, columns, mp3s of the old soundpages, ect Everything! Then Id post those on the GP website and devise some kind of menu or index that could cross reference different pages in a variety of ways chronologically, by topic, by author, ect

Yes, this would be a major time-consuming pain-in-the-ass. But sometimes life isnt about making a buck, but rather about doing the right thing and the important thing.

A little more proof-reading is in order. The occasional grammatical slip still happens, mostly during product reviews.

A consensus of two or more editors would be nice when an Editors' Pick Award is bestowed on a high-priced product, as we all have our own biases. I doubt any single editor's endorsement would move me to purchase any high-ticket item, but a thoughtful consensus might have me checking it out quickly. If this already happens behind the scenes before an award is given, it's not apparent to the reader.

I find your own reviews to be thorough, with live gig usage reported, and appreciate that you admit your own biases, as in being "off" ebony fretboards when reviewing the Chicagoan, and then finding the guitar enjoyable.

What we readers want to know is:

Would an editor want to purchase an awarded item with his/her own money?

Would it invalidate similar items they already own?

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

I'd self-edit a bit closer, so I didn't make grammatical faux pas such as "If I was...." (should be were)

I "was" is a past tense affirmative of reality.

I "were" is a subjunctive suggesting hypothetical or contrary-to-reality future.

(ducking and running)

:D

1) wake up, take large satisfying dump

2) sketch out ideas for next issue on the throne

3) invite Gene Simmons to brunch under the (false) pretense of shooting KISS for a cover story. Make him pay bill. Never call back

4) Go to GP offices 3 hours late

5) play fire extinguisher tag with hot new secretary. Badger employees for goofing off.

6) go to lunch with big-shot advertising executives. Close big deal worth 3 pages of ad space (in the back).

7) Go to beach, peruse for gorgeous women, promise them a photo shoot for centerfold in magazine. Decency strongly discouraged

8) Take Eddie Van Halen and girls to Disneyland

9) Fly on private jet to NYC for a rave. Join Mile High Club

10) ???

11) Profit

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

I'd have a column or a series of articles detailing the work of small shop or solo luthiers out there: we always see ads and articles about expensive guitars from makers like Fender, Gibson, PRS, Martin, Taylor, Ibanez and so on and so forth, but we rarely see what the same amount of money (+-) can get you from the little guys.

For example, I own a Dean Time Capsule Cadillac which I love to pieces. I also own 4 Jon Kammerer guitars and I honestly think I got as much or more for my money as I did with my Caddy. He's a Chicago area luthier I discovered his guitars at the Dallas Guitar show.

I still haven't gotten around to investigating the product of local guys like Joe Driskill, but his guitars look nice and my correspondences with him lead me to believe he's a class act.

The same could be said of many luthiers I've met on this (and other) boards.

But guys like Joe & Jon (and so many others) rarely get covered in local press, much less national mags, and its a shame. Surfing various guitar boards, I'm constantly seeing guys itching to spend serious money* on a great guitar...and the vast majority of them are talking about the same brands over and over. The realities of the market have effectively put blinders on them.

Again- I'm not against mainstream guitars, and just because a guitar is made by a "luthier" doesn't make it good- but the good, the bad and the ugly manufacturers at ALL levels of the industry should get the kudos or brickbats they deserve...

Because it will help us get the guitars we deserve.

* And in all honesty, some of these guys' axes are downright affordable!

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

I agree with this although the big guys probably would not be thrilled about that (my opinion-well TFB for them). It would be good to feature builders in the same way that players are featured, ideally with links to sound samples of their work or something. In fact at the risk of running afoul of the `buy American` ethic, why not feature local builders in other countries (like, where there are actual supplies of hardwoods)? expensive ya, so don`t do it every month, just an occasional feature.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I don't think the Big Guys would get too bent out of shape- they can see as plainly as anyone else that some of these small shops advertise in the same mags as they do...and have no hope of making more than a fraction of the sales that they do.

IOW, the luthiers are no threat to Fender, Gibson, etc.

Besides, feedback- positive & negative- can help the luthiers AND the Big Guys "elevate their game." Maybe an article might spawn some licensing agreements between a "David" and "Goliath"...or maybe they'd even work together.

Imagine if Moog and/or Korg did a joint venture with Visionary Instruments, both for technological crossover and distribution deals, for instance.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

Rule number one would be that no article would ever be "continued on page [insert number]", all articles will be on as many pages as it takes so that my readers do not have to find the rest of the article somewhere in the back of the magazine...Rule number two is to get as many interviews as we can while the artists are still alive (have an old masters interview section maybe)...and as always, thanks for asking!! :idea:
Take care, Larryz

I'd self-edit a bit closer, so I didn't make grammatical faux pas such as "If I was...." (should be were)

I "were" is a subjunctive suggesting hypothetical or contrary-to-reality future.

(ducking and running)

But it is OK to use incomplete sentence fragments in parentheses, I assume. :D :D :D

1. Take advantage of the writing talents of the people on the GuitarPlayer, Contemporary Keyboard, and Bass Player forums and put out a book of "Gig Stories", of which I have read many great ones over the years. I think most guys would do so on a volunteer basis.

2. Interview Ravi Shankar about the impact of his music on guitarists, while he's still alive. I know he made a major impact in the '60s which still reverberates today! (Plus his impact on jazz musicians and folkies, who in turn influenced guitarists.)

Understanding the demands of the publishing business I have no idea how to answer this question.

As for personal preferences, I'll just say I wish the interviews (especially the short ones in the front) were longer, so could you guys post extended versions of them online for subscribers? Lee Ritenour or Will Saergent could hold my attention for 20 pages rather than 2. Then again, I realize I'm a "young old" with an attention span and tastes considerably larger in scope than the average kid who probably makes up the target demographic.

I've come to divide guitarists into 2 groups:

1) guitar players

2) gear players

The second group (75% of the people I meet) don't play music as much as they play gear, don't talk or care about music as much as they talk/care about gear. I'm starting to think they don't even like music as much as they like gear (I know one guy who straight up admits it, though you could tell by hearing him play). They'd be happy with "Gear Player Magazine," which only had articles on gear... I'm the opposite... but I understand that no one ever went bankrupt catering to the opposite of my tastes. :P

(ducking and running)

But it is OK to use incomplete sentence fragments in parentheses, I assume. :D :D :D

It is, but only when making reference to action in the present tense. ;)

Yeah. I've been meaning to talk to you about that. I do appreciate your magazine. Many of my favorite guitarists were introduced to me through this magazine. These artists have a high level of artistry, but are not very "mainstream." This makes finding sheet music a little more difficult. You guys should include some transcriptions from that sort of artist. Start with "Lowered Boom" from Nels Cline, please!
We cannot accelerate the growth of a tree by pulling on its branches. - Ricardo Iznaola

Something else I'd do: I do at least one big article on the overlooked New Wave & Punk guitarists of the 1970s-80s. Everyone knows about the hair-metal guys, but everyone forgets about the guitarists in bands that were perceived to be synthesizer-heavy or stereotyped as devoid of axe-wielding talent.

But there was some pretty good guitar work turned in by guys like Warren Cuccurullo (Zappa/Missing Persons/Duran Duran), Capt. Sensible (The Damned), Robert Smith & Porl Thompson (The Cure), Bob Mothersbaugh (Devo), Johnny Ramone (Ramones), Steve Jones (Sex Pistols), Danny Elfman

and Steve Bartek (Oingo Boingo) and Marco Pirroni (Adam Ant/Siouxie & the Banshees/Sinead O'Connor/The Slits) to name but a few.

They weren't flashy like the guys doing hair-metal, but they made good music and deserve their credit.

Archived