Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

TAKE MY JOB! COMMENTS WELCOME!

Editor Boy

Andy Taylor did great stuff in Duran Duran, and I didn't care for him when he went guitar rock and metal (a lot of it with Steve Jones). I've watched many a cover band player butcher synth rock by not having the feel and finesse (most of it had funky rhythm work)to play it convincingly, so it becomes just a wall of distorted power chords that plod. I always loved Jamie West-Oram from the Fixx, who was part Andy Summers, part Tom Verlaine (the first time I heard the intro the "Saved By Zero" I thought it was Verlaine song - I'd just discovered him and Television and lucked into a stash of records at a used shop... and apparently he actually inspired that riff) and part Nile Rogers.

I was jamming around with some younger indie rock/punk dudes I gig with a lot, and we were going through the genesis of all that, how the punks bashed it out first, then the first thing they usually did next was art-damage funk in some way (Gang of Four, Talking Heads, The Clash, PiL in its own way, The Jam/Style Council, Capt. Sensible...), and from that atmosphere and new wave came the synthpop bands. The emphasis was still on nuts and bolts pop songwriting, though, and that stuff holds up... much better in my opinion than much of the guitar-based grunge from the '90s... but that's my opinion and I'm sure it'll be controversial on a guitar site.

I've done a set of Depeche Mode songs performed on guitars, bass and drums and that stuff rocks.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I`ll second The Fixx-I still have a copy of `Reach the Beach` somewhere, lots of great stuff. I still would love to do a cover of `Sign of Fire` at some point.

Cyndi Lauper did a song called `Change of Heart`-I always wondered whether their guitarist was a guest on that one, sounded like him.

I`d add Squeeze to that group-very nice clean riffs in some of those songs.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Agreed on Andy Summers & Jamie West-Oram...and lots of love for Andy Summers as well.

Or what about the work of Tim Farriss (INXS), Ricky Wilson and Keith Strickland (B-52s), Chris Stein and Frankie Infante (Blondie), Eliott Easton and Ric Okasek (The Cars), Poison Ivy (The Cramps), Billy Zoom (X) and Dave Stewart (Eurythmics)?

And, lest we forget...the Edge, Adrian Belew and just about everyone who ever worked for David Bowie.

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

Yes Yes Yes to all mentioned. I was strumming Squeeze last night as I typed that reply... "In Quintessence," actually...

James Honeyman-Scott, Robbie MacIntosh, Adam Seymour and now James Walbourne in the Pretenders. Always great texture, and some balls out solos.

Skip, I remember Rick Derringer being connected to that Cyndi Lauper song for some reason, but he just might've been in the video because he played guitar on her tour. I think the Hooters backed her a lot, too.

Just checked and I see Derringer, Nile Rogers and Adrian Belew credited with playing on the album but couldn't find individual song credits.

I know West-Oram played on "Better Be Good To Me" and other songs on Private Dancer by Tina Turner.

Rule number one would be that no article would ever be "continued on page [insert number]", all articles will be on as many pages as it takes so that my readers do not have to find the rest of the article somewhere in the back of the magazine... /snip/ ...and as always, thanks for asking!! :idea:

Thanks Larry. I was going to make that comment too. I remember one particular gear review cut into three separate sections. Trying to refer back to the picture in the first section was pretty difficult, especially as many of the pages were not numbered.

BTW, thanks for asking from me too.

Thanks for checking-

I was also going to mention Naked Eyes but only that one song `Promises` comes to mind-LOVE the guitar on that one.

Their other hit (off the same album, so it happens) was "Always Something There To Remind Me."

Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: âNinety percent of everything is crapâ

Rule number one would be that no article would ever be "continued on page [insert number]", all articles will be on as many pages as it takes so that my readers do not have to find the rest of the article somewhere in the back of the magazine...Rule number two is to get as many interviews as we can while the artists are still alive (have an old masters interview section maybe)...and as always, thanks for asking!! :idea:

Yes this is...see next post.

Thanks for checking-

I was also going to mention Naked Eyes but only that one song `Promises` comes to mind-LOVE the guitar on that one.

Their other hit (off the same album, so it happens) was "Always Something There To Remind Me."

Yes, no guitar but GREAT remake.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Thanks for checking-

Ha... just this past weekend I was serenading my lady (to her semi-annoyance) with acoustic versions of "Promises, Promises" and "When The Lights Go Out" by Naked Eyes while she was trying to get me to put on shoes and go out shopping...

Thanks for checking-

Ha... just this past weekend I was serenading my lady (to her semi-annoyance) with acoustic versions of "Promises, Promises" and "When The Lights Go Out" by Naked Eyes while she was trying to get me to put on shoes and go out shopping...

Did your playing soothe the Savage Shoe-Shopping Beast of Sheboygan...or did you wind up buying shoes?

Thanks for checking-

Did your playing soothe the Savage Shoe-Shopping Beast of Sheboygan...or did you wind up buying shoes?

A ring...

and shoes, actually.

Archived