Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How long has your band been together?

For those of you who play in a band, I'm wondering how long you've been together? What's the closest you've come to breaking up and why did it happen? How did you keep from breaking up (or if you did break up after being together a long time, what caused the breakup)? If you've been together awhile, what do you feel keeps you together? Enquiring minds want to know! --Lee

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Heya, Lee, long time no hear from. My band started as an acoustic trio 5 1/2 years ago. We went through one incarnation with an extra guitar player and a drummer...but their goals were different, and they left us again as an acoustic trio. We finally added a drummer about a year and a half ago. A couple of things that work for us...the drummer and myself are the only two with any prior experience in playing in a gigging band, so the other two look to us for guidance. Oh, sure, they do some things that piss me off. I guess you could say I'm the "leader"...but, basically, we're all FRIENDS first. I could seek out "better musicians", but what for? We get along, we don't sound too bad...why screw with it? We're not going on the road backing up Matchbox 20 or anything, we're just gigging locally, so there's no reason for an ego trip. We sound the best we can...and when we don't, I'll either gently suggest a change in the approach, or we'll do a different tune. From past experience, I'd say one of the biggest stumbling blocks in putting a band together is that everyone wants "the best"...the best musicians, the best vocalists, what have you...not taking into consideration that the "best guitarist" might be a prima donna asshole that no one can get along with. The band has to sound good as a whole...and you can't sound really good (IMHO) if you hate each other. The vibe will show through. Just get your plain ol' folks together and have a good time.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I've only been in the Moaning Lisas for a year now, but they've been a band for about five or six years. I've been in several bands prior to that, mostly as a replacement for someone who left for whatever reason. I've been lucky that people call when they need a guit-player. So I spread myself pretty thin, much to the chagrin of my wife. I've only started two really good bands in my youth, but each ended for different reasons, one with a death of our pianist/brother of singer, the other was because of being sick of each other. You know what I mean...for example, your bassist does this cool lick when you first meet him....and then proceeds to do the same lick, however inappropriate, at all the wrong times.....it gets old, tempers flare. Indiscretions of youth...etc. We just lost our bassist/founder of Moaning Lisas, who is also brother of our singer. Sad, but he was tiring with the scene and travel. We replaced him, but the same vibe ain't there, yet! I have two side projects, so I don't get "tired" of the same ole...its all a helluva lotta fun. Thats the secret....having an outlet for stuff you can't do with your money maker, and keeping it fun.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

[b]>>>For those of you who play in a band, I'm wondering how long you've been together?[/b] We've been together about four and a half years. [b] What's the closest you've come to breaking up and why did it happen? How did you keep from breaking up (or if you did break up after being together a long time, what caused the breakup)?[/b] I don't think we've ever been close to any kind of a breakup, but sometimes the traveling gets to be a bummer. We often travel 12 to 15 hours for a single gig. But if the money is good, we do it. We lead a pretty boring existance (for a rock band ;) ). We don't drink or party at all before the show, and not much after either. I think that a lot of bands get burned out from all the partying and that causes a lot of breakups. [b]>>>If you've been together awhile, what do you feel keeps you together? [/b] We are all good friends, and share a very similar taste in music. Besides, what in the hell else would we do? :eek:
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

[quote][b]For those of you who play in a band, I'm wondering how long you've been together?[/b][/quote] My band was born on September 1992. :cool: It started as a "cover" band. [quote][b] What's the closest you've come to breaking up and why did it happen? How did you keep from breaking up (or if you did break up after being together a long time, what caused the breakup)?[/b][/quote] We had a temporary separation when we all finished our professional majors in 1996 and decided to try a little bit of the "real world of business". After realizing it stinks, we decided to get back together and compose our own material, back on 1999. From then we've been working on finishing a whole CD and gigging. We tour a lot. [quote][b]If you've been together awhile, what do you feel keeps you together? [/b][/quote] We're the best friends. It's weird. We do live in different cities (very far one from each other) and we only get together to play our promotional gigs (just like this past weekend) and we seize all the time to record new tunes. it does not matter how far we are. It is for FUN and this is what we know we do the best and makes us happy. That's our secret. Cool thread Lee !!

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b]For those of you who play in a band, I'm wondering how long you've been together? What's the closest you've come to breaking up and why did it happen? How did you keep from breaking up (or if you did break up after being together a long time, what caused the breakup)? If you've been together awhile, what do you feel keeps you together? Enquiring minds want to know! --Lee[/b][/quote] My partner is my best friend, we have learned to play together, and have been jamming together for like 25 years. I met him over 30 years ago when we were really young. His name is Andy, & I've been bugging the dumb ass (I'm allowed to call him that, he's like my brother) to get online and check this place out. We actually split up several times over the years, (one time he stole my girlfriend, and we had a drunken fistfight, no biggie) -where he'll do his thing, and I'll do mine. But we both seem to do much better together, so we always hook back up eventually. I've worked with better musicians, but I'll take a good friendship over technical ability, 'cuz I think it shows when we play together that we are loose with each other and truly enjoy each others company. I think what keeps us together is we don't really need to do much talking, when for instance we are learning a song, I can just say for instance, "do the U2 thing, right here", and he'll know that means like a drone string type guitar part with alot of delay. Or he can just give me a glance while playing, and I'll know that means to go around another 4 times, etc. -that cuts down on the time it takes to learn stuff. My advice is to try and stay with the people you have been with, it's too hard to start from scratch with all new people. PS: Strat, I have heard of the 'Moaning Lisa's'. I think I've seen them at a place called Lilly's or Hamtramck Pub, near Detroit hmmm, about 5 years ago, maybe longer? Is this the same band? if so, they were pretty good as I recall. -Matt
In two days, it won't matter.

[quote]Originally posted by Keith Richards: [b]Hey, er... Um... How long has my band been together? How am I supposed to remember [i]that?[/i][/b][/quote] Mr Richards???????????????' :eek: ????????????????'

www.guslozada.com

[quote] For those of you who play in a band, I'm wondering how long you've been together? What's the closest you've come to breaking up and why did it happen? How did you keep from breaking up (or if you did break up after being together a long time, what caused the breakup)? If you've been together awhile, what do you feel keeps you together? [/quote] My band has been together since Nov. 1994 -- almost 8 years. We've never really come close to breaking up, but we've had to replace four different bass players in that time. That (the bass player thing) is a WHOLE separate story altogether. THAT usually comes from bass players generally being kinda weird. (I'm allowed to say that because I play bass in another band, too.) The core of my band has always been the three of us (drums, guitar, vocals), and I've actually been playing with the same drummer since 1990. We stick together because we really work best with each other. We all know how to interpret each other's little musical language quirks ("Drop into that," "Loop that part one-and-a-half times," "Just do the hits," etc) that nobody else seems to understand. Basically, it's easy for us to write stuff that we all like when we're together. Having said that, we certainly all have quirks that get to the others. The singer never ceases to find ways to piss me off. He never shuts up and has no filter for his thoughts, so he'll just say whatever's on his mind at anytime. The drummer is a pain -- he has terrible taste in women and tends to be kind of jumpy. I constantly piss them off by acting like Dad and making them stop whatever dubious activity they're getting into all the time. They call me "The Fun Police." Sure, we've had our arguments about stuff, but it's almost always something we can work out. We've done the "family therapy" thing a few times as well -- y'know, "When you do 'X' it makes me feel 'Y.'" Sounds very touchy-feely, but it is a necessary thing sometimes. I think what ultimately keeps us together is our inabilty to figure out what else to do with ourselves if we didn't do this... We've all been involved in other projects, and we always seem to find the greatest satisfaction with each other. Part of this must stem from the fact that we were all very inexperienced when we started out, and we learned everything we know now together. Basically, we're pretty worthless without each other.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Hippie I have no idea, they did tour for a bit off and on throughout the years prior to me joining. Its a 3 peice with a singer, rough and rowdy blues/rock/country/punk/bluegrass in the Beatfarmers/Mojo Nixon vein. I'll ask them tonight at rehearsal. We're breaking in our newest member, Scott on bass. [ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: strat0124 ]
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

[quote]Originally posted by Tedster: [b]I doubt it's the REAL Keith, y'know. But funny nonetheless. Then again, y'never know... [/b][/quote] Of course it's the real keith! Hey keith, send me a bunch of money to prove to these people that you are for real. Ya! good to have ya! Hey,I play a Tele too. Hey everyone, it's Fuckin' keith fuckin Richards!!!!!!

For those of you who play in a band, I'm wondering how long you've been together? What's the closest you've come to breaking up and why did it happen? How did you keep from breaking up (or if you did break up after being together a long time, what caused the breakup)? If you've been together awhile, what do you feel keeps you together? -------------- Two years together, all friends, have never thought about breaking the band up. It's my friends. We get together, play music, we happen to be people who get on musically as well and can play our instruments well, and we've lucked out and gotten some really great gigs. This is Nectar, for those who don't know, btw. Eleven Shadows is a recording project (although we have done two very special gigs in the past).

My band has been together 10 years. Three CD's and lots of good times. We all just happen to be in the same mind set when it comes to playing. We have never had a potential band busting arguement. I run rehearsals and book the band and take care of all the business aspects plus own the studio, get all the money for the CD's and provide the PA. The system has worked well. We all have input on what songs we're playing and when to rehearse or when to play. It's sort of a musical home for us old rock and roller types. Three of us have been playing for over thirty years.

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

[quote]Originally posted by d gauss: [b]6 years, 2 CD's, a brain tumor, spinal menengitus, a compound fractured wrist, and a lot of alcohol later, we're still here. why, i don't know. http://www.betteroffdead.com -d. gauss[/b][/quote] You're not getting off that easy! ;)
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

[quote]Originally posted by d gauss: [b] http://www.betteroffdead.com -d. gauss[/b][/quote] Your site, D Gauss, is GREAT ! I enjoyed a lot reading the BIO's. ... who are you?

www.guslozada.com

Band has been together 21 years as of last August....bass player and myself have played together for over 25 years. Lots of "disagreements" in the early years, but the last 15-16 years have been relatively smooth...probably because we got out of the bar scene, moved into corporate/fairs/festival dates ...money is better, so are accomodations (hey, we're not getting any younger!) Downside is the travel ( 20 years ago I never thought I'd say that!)... upside is when the travel is by air. We're lucky, and we know it (came with age), we have understanding families, and lots of outside interests that keep us out of each others hair (thinning) when enjoying our "off" time. BW

My story, for the purposes of this thread, isn't quite as interesting as my take on a local band here in Portland, Oregon. They're called Billy Scene and the Kooltones, and they've been playing together with the same lineup for about 30 years. They're tight, funny, and entertaining, each of them very capable. Part of their mojo is: They're all three cousins.

Good question. Short History: Prior to meeting the band, was in usual assortment of high-school bands where a bunch of us would get together and trash instruments [i]attempting[/i] to play Stairway to Heaven or Paranoid or Tush or Smoke on the Water. Those bands never lasted than a few months over the summer. Nobody was serious about the music. In high school I eventually did meet someone that clicked, but soon after school they went into Jazz and Serious Composition and I went into Rock'n'Roll University. Difference of opinion about music. He thought music had to be [i]learned[/i], I thought music had to be [i]felt[/i]. Eventually though I did meet the right band. There is [i]something[/i] about meeting the right musicians. When you do meet them, it is the same as falling in love, or meeting long lost brothers. You kind of dress the same, you usually grew up in the same dirty, run-down street. You have more or less the same musical likes and influences. You probably skipped out of the same classes at school and had a crush or slept with the same skanks along the way. In high school none of you were star atheletes and none of you excelled at math. You all were just one step away from being drop-outs or expelled. Bruce Springsteen's song "[b]Bobby Jean[/b]" about Miami Steve pretty much sums up what finding the right band is about. I give that song a listen every now and then and get all mushy. Good band mates share a similar, skewed view of the world and you all laugh at the same jokes. You all liked the same cartoons when you were little, and can quote lines from Get Smart or The Producers (the movie) or The Hot Rock (movie). Rocky and Bullwinkle probably loomed large in your life when you were all about 10 years old. That being said, just out of high school I was lucky enough to fall in with a bunch that met all the above criteria. We have been together for [b]twenty-one years[/b]. They, the drummer and guitar player, were together for ten years before that. And the bass player for about a year or two before I showed up. [b]Their basement smelled funny but the music was great.[/b] We have seen the world together, enjoyed sucess and failure and been there when stuff outside the band (family tragedies) came on hard. We have rocked rooms so hard that condensation formed on the inside walls and steam came out of everybody's breath. We have played crescendos that make hairs stand on the back of our necks. There is a musical thread that holds us together. We don't socialize with each other too much. We all have different interests. But musically we all think as one. What makes it last so long? Being good friends. Not taking any bullshit from each other but also respecting one another. Just clicking in a musical way. Allowing everyone to come and go as they see fit. Over the last five years, I have tried various collaborations with other folks. But it just never is the same. For one thing, you have to explain too much to new people. With the band, all you need to do is wiggle your eyebrow for a key change or lift your elbow to end a song. We can stop on a dime. When people see us live they wonder if we are psychic. Nah, we just all can see each other out of the corner of our eye and know when the song is getting stale. I think another [b]Key Element[/b] in a band staying together that long is having a good manager. Left to their own devices, a band will get swollen heads and start to wander and roam. A good manager will hold it all together and keep it democratic. A good manager acts as a referee between those that remember the chord changes and those that do not . . .. Being best friends is probably more important than any other factor. Guys like the RHCP's strike me as being friends that share some of those landmarks. Other bands that strike me as being long-lasting friends are NRBQ, U2, e-Street band, Nazareth maybe INXS until Mike died. There are a handful. I think the Who were a band like that until Moon died. After that it was just wasn't the same. When you watch old Who footage, it was always Moon there, one part inspiring the band, one part being the instigator and one part following Pete all the way. A good band should be greater than the sum of the parts. A good, long lasting band should be aware of it's own Spinal Tap moments . . . [ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: Doctor Frankensteinway ]
Oh yeah? That's fine for you, you're an accepted member of the entertainment community. What about me? What about Igor? Marginalized by Hollywood yet again. I want my Mummy . . .

I have an interesting history with my current band. I joined them four years ago, then left after about eight months as they just weren't learning music fast enough for me (20 songs in the eight months I was with them, and I'd played in other bands for twenty years). I joined a couple other groups since then, which fell apart as soon as we sounded cohesive (you all know the routine!). Well, I'd stayed in contact with Puddlestone over those two years, and suddenly they were out playing live, and not sounding too bad, I finally rejoined about nine months ago. We got a new lead guitarist and sound man about six months ago, and I think this'll be the lineup from now on. These guys are my best friends. All our wives and/or girlfriends show up for the gigs, we celebrate holidays together, its just great! Most of us are actually from the midwest (2 from SD, 1 from IA, 1 from OH) and that makes it a support group from the oddities of Utah. We're not the best musicians, but we have so much fun on stage that it rubs off on the crowd. I hope it goes on for years, and I'm pretty sure it'll be my last band.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

My current band has been together about 3 years. Going into it I had a lot of stage experience and the other 2 had about none, other than academic. They are really great players, and they take their performances seriously. We never actually came close to breaking up, but I have had to lay down the law a couple of times, explaining to them that if they decided to leave they would be replaced, because the band will go on with or without them. We have nothing in common - not age, backgrounds, musical tastes, or even fashion sense. I would not describe us as friends - we never interact outside of the rehearsal room or stage, and we don't often discuss our lives outside the band. Sure, I would like to play with people of similar musical interests, but they seem to be few and far between around here. As a band we have been successful at every venue we have played, and we seem to on an upward curve. How long will it last? I don't know. But I am determined to make the best of it while it does...
- Calfee Jones

[quote]Originally posted by Keith Richards: [b]Hey, er... Um... How long has my band been together? How am I supposed to remember [i]that?[/i][/b][/quote] Hey Keith, didn't you and the lads start up a bit after we got started? You all did manage to last a touch longer though. Paul McCartney

Well, we had quite a go of it for several years, but eventually broke up for all the usual reasons - money, personal relationships, the pressure of being the biggest band in the world, Yoko in a big bed right in the middle of the studio while we were recording - you know, the usual stuff every band has to go through... Paul McCartney [quote]Originally posted by AudioMaverick: [b] Cool! I wonder how many did what I just did...[/b][/quote] I don't know how many, but I'd say it's pretty bloody easy mate... ;)

hi Lee! my band's been together 7 years now. the closest we've come to breaking up was three years ago. a major label had got interested in our work and contacted us.really interested. all of a sudden our lead singer decided she just wants to concentrate on university and didn't feel like taking the band on a professional level. a major quarrel ensued and eventually our singer was thrown out of the band. on a musical and personal level,it was one of the saddest,tensest times in my life. what i learned from that is that before sending a demo to a label, you first have to make sure everyone in the band likes the idea of making music for a living,not just for fun.

My R'n'B band of 5 years imploded last spring. The lead singer/rhythm guitar player developed a major attitude so I punted him and then the bass player lost interest and quit! Now I'm left with the drummer and myself, a very good guitar player...but...an absolute crappy singer. I have a well equipped digital recording home studio and rehearsal space. So...I now have openings for a melodic bass player who can carry a tune and a guitar player who smokes a mean Marlboro! Paul, would you consider an audition? Keith, I have a nice Fender Esquire you can play through my Fender Bassman. C'mon over...I think we might have a future. The only downer...this is Central Canada and right now it's cold!!! ...but a great climate to make hot music! RSVP

Archived