Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2 amazing keyboardist...

BP3

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
who dat??

Please tell me that you at least recognize Eddie Jobson (U.K., Roxy Music, Curved Air), 2nd from the right? :(

(if from nothing else the recent VAX77 controller threads/videos ;) ).

I will admit to being stumped as to who the 2nd is in that pic... or which one is TinderArts. I'm guessing he's third from the left... ;)

However, reading up on the MySpace page link (for Oblivion Sun, in TA's sig) would lead me to believe that TinderArts = Bill Plummer, and that he's no longer working with the band? Must've been amicable if he's still advertising the band. :cool:

The guy next to me is Larry Fast (Synergy, Peter Gabriel). The Pic was taken by Michelle Moog-Koussa, Bob Moog's daughter. I'm still waiting for the pic where she joined in.

From left to right -

Robert DaLuca (founder of NEARfest), drummer Marco Minneman, me, Larry Fast, Eddie Jobson and Kevin Feeley (NEARfest stage manager).

The pic was taken stage left just before Three Friends performed.

The guy next to me is Larry Fast (Synergy, Peter Gabriel). The Pic was taken by Michelle Moog-Koussa, Bob Moog's daughter. I'm still waiting for the pic where she joined in.

From left to right -

Robert DaLuca (founder of NEARfest), drummer Marco Minneman, me, Larry Fast, Eddie Jobson and Kevin Feeley (NEARfest stage manager).

The pic was taken stage left just before Three Friends performed.

Sweet... I know and love Larry's work, of course, but would never have been able to place him (before now).

I agree 100%... those are 2 amazing keyboardists! Congrats, and thanks for sharing! :thu::cool:

I was at NEARfest as a fan this year. My band played last year. I've done work for The Bob Moog Foundation at NEARfest before. This year was extremely fun.

After the pic, I went on stage and tossed to a video I did with Alan Parson where Alan talked about Bob Moog and his impact on music in general. Alan had some great stories and started with Abbey Road and Paul playing the first Moog part (by The Beatles) using just the ribbon controller on Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

After that vid, I brought Michelle and Larry out on stage where they talked more about the foundation and played a six minute excerpt of an audio tape from 1964. In it, Dr. Moog describes the prototype Moog to Herb Deutsch and plays the prototype a bit. About a minute in Bob plays a chord! My jaw dropped as did many around me. The first Moog was POLYPHONIC! Too cool. I'm still trying to get some idea about the history of that particular unit.

As far as Oblivion Sun goes, there are some of my oldest and dearest friends and I will support them in any way I can. It was a tough decision to leave the band.

I was at NEARfest as a fan this year. My band played last year. I've done work for The Bob Moog Foundation at NEARfest before. This year was extremely fun.

After the pic, I went on stage and tossed to a video I did with Alan Parson where Alan talked about Bob Moog and his impact on music in general. Alan had some great stories and started with Abbey Road and Paul playing the first Moog part (by The Beatles) using just the ribbon controller on Maxwell's Silver Hammer.

After that vid, I brought Michelle and Larry out on stage where they talked more about the foundation and played a six minute excerpt of an audio tape from 1964. In it, Dr. Moog describes the prototype Moog to Herb Deutsch and plays the prototype a bit. About a minute in Bob plays a chord! My jaw dropped as did many around me. The first Moog was POLYPHONIC! Too cool. I'm still trying to get some idea about the history of that particular unit.

:o

Some very cool anecdotes there... wish I'd been there to see it, but never had a chance to attend a NEARfest, as every year I'm gigging. :( One day, hopefully...

As far as Oblivion Sun goes, there are some of my oldest and dearest friends and I will support them in any way I can. It was a tough decision to leave the band.

Sorry to hear that... what I heard on the page was very cool stuff... hope your paths cross again!

Wow, Larry Fast has really changed compared to 20 tears ago! OTOH, Jobson is quite recognizable.

And, Tinder, *you' are the third from left in the picture?! Am I the only one who thought to have recognized a short-haired Keith Emerson?! :freak:

Wow, Larry Fast has really changed compared to 20 tears ago!

Yeah, I didn't recognize him either. I got to meet him at a Utopia show one time while babysitting some backline. We talked synths and he showed me his RMI keyboard computer.

Moe

---

I chatted with Larry Fast in the "D" (Detroit to you heathens) --well actually Ferndale-- at the Magic Bag when he was touring with Tony Levin in...2004??

What a GREAT bunch of guys. Wasting time with me (and others) after the gig in the lobby. My respect for Tony Levin, Jerry Marotta, Jesse Gress, and Larry Fast went through the ROOF after that little meet and greet. :thu:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I chatted with Larry Fast in the "D" (Detroit to you heathens) --well actually Ferndale-- at the Magic Bag when he was touring with Tony Levin in...2004??

What a GREAT bunch of guys. Wasting time with me (and others) after the gig in the lobby. My respect for Tony Levin, Jerry Marotta, Jesse Gress, and Larry Fast went through the ROOF after that little meet and greet. :thu:

Was Jerry playing his Garden Weasel?

My respect for Tony Levin, Jerry Marotta, Jesse Gress, and Larry Fast went through the ROOF after that little meet and greet.

Levin, Marotta, Fast...I remember them + Sid McGiniss & Tim Capello as Peter Gabriel's first tour band 30+ years ago. Very cool they're still making great music together.

The weasel....

For percussion Marotta used wrist bells, called dew claws by native people; a bracelet of deer hoofs tied onto a leather thong; mallets strung with beads and seeds that make a rattling sound when theyre used; ceramic shakers - small ceramic cups that look like large walnut shells, covered with a nimal skin and filled with beads or pebbles, strings of glass beads, slit drums; boxes carved out of wood, with tongues of wood slit into them that sound like a small balafon or marimba; and a Garden Weasel that Marotta bought in a local hardware store. The Weasel is a tool that looks like a roller covered with large barbed-wire spikes, but when Marotta shakes it like a maraca, it produces an amazing ringing sound.

Archived