Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stevie wields his ax!

Cliffk

You guys came to mind in a hurry yesterday, when Stevie Wonder walked on for the first song in his Hyde Park concert - wielding the ol' keeeytar with pride. :D

In fine voice, Stevie funked up the night for real. Here's a short taster:

[video:youtube]

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to miss this unfortunately! Gutted...

Cliff were you there by any chance? Did he do some new stuff?

I heard snippets of a few songs that might end up on "Through the eyes of wonder" album and was wondering if he did some of those..

Also did he do a time to love with the african percussion?

:)

-Music Is The Soul Of Life-

Yeah I was there and it was worth every cent, especially seeing him soloing on the floor, literally. This is my clip, which I put up specifically for you guys thinking it might elicit some of the amusing commentary that usually follows any mention of the word 'keytar' here. :thu:

No new stuff, just a rollicking set which didn't stop from A to Z. He headlined, following Corine Bailey Rae, James Morrison and Jamiroquai. He's just closed Glastonbury this evening.

I appreciated him starting with my eyes don't cry, good to hear some '80s Stevie.

I was on the right hand side of the stage, just the other side of the fence...

Human Nature was a nice addition as well.

I saw the whole Glastonbury concert last night on BBC2. After the concert they had Steve on the show and he mentioned that they played a "festival" set...so no new stuff or surprises but maaan..cant wait for the new stuff..

He didnt even do anything from a time to love..shame.

Nik

-Music Is The Soul Of Life-

If Stevie wants to eat up the Outback, that's cool. But, I will never develop an appreciate for the keytar regardless who's playing it. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I didn't realize he could navigate the stage that well.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

The crowd totally out of sync with what Steve was trying to get them to do made my head hurt :)

He was asking way too much of them. ;)

+1

I dunno, I've heard him get his audiences to sing some fairly tricky stuff (though admittedly, not first thing after he walks out). Granted, it wasn't Chick Corea 8-part audience harmony, but still a good bit more complex than what was on that clip.

Re: keytar/belly... I don't see how he even plays the thing with it hiked up so high. I couldn't imagine playing with my arms cramped up like that. If I were going to play one (especially two-handed), it would have to be down at least at waist-level, if not crotch-level. Still, he's playing the hell out of it, so I'm not about to criticize...

...Wonder looks good (sounds good, too) regardless.

Like FunkKeyStuff, it looks awkward as Hell; I always remember Edgar Winter playing

his remote KB's on "Free Ride" and "Frankenstein" and looking great-or as great as EW can look. Emerson (with "3") and Corea use 'em, and look natural as could be.

Thanks for sharing the link, though...

Archived